• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old german flight jacket identification

pillepalle123

Hi,
I was offered this jacket by a friend and I think it could be an old german flight jacket since on one zipper it sayis: "D.R.P. Nürnberg" (Deutsches Reichspatent)

It is not my size sadly and I want to help him sell it. Could you help me identify it and maybe help set a price?

Regards,
Chris

PS I was not sure where to post, feel free to move this thread.

ehrthrhtrhr.jpegtdjtzjtzjtz.jpegQDwegfegerge.jpeghjreyghergre.jpegwafafwefwe.jpegzegesgege.jpegweqfeweagw.jpeg

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Hi Pillepalle, welcome !

I'd say it's a (motorcycle ?) jacket from the '60s, maybe even the '50s.
The leather buttons are nice
We don't see such braided shoulder pads in the '40s. The absence of a collar and the buckle at the neck also suggest a more modern jacket.

I hope I've helped

pillepalle123

Hi Kermit,
thanks for your input. What makes me wonder is the DRP zipper, which means "Deutsches Reichspatent".

The "Deutsches Reich" ended in 1945 so this at least would suggest pre 1945.
But of course this could have been just a surplus zipper used later on.

Kermit3D

If we simplify, luftwaffe pilots wore two types of flight jackets :

• Jackets supplied directly by the luftwaffe, adapted to various conditions (summer, winter, theater of operations, materials availability...): “Kanaljacke”, ‘Reichsverteidigung jacke’, sheepskin-lined jackets in different colors and materials. Some were electrically heated, others not.
I'm no expert, but the zippers on these jackets were often “Riri” (metal or plastic), “Zipp” or “Rapid”.

2000000596180-b1.jpg

2000000712640-b1.jpg

2000000647880-b1.jpg

2000000713830-b1.jpg

• Civilian jackets often purchased in Western Europe (especially France). Many different types of jackets were used, most of them corresponding to what we call “cyclist jackets”. The most common type of cyclist jacket is the one worn by Erich Hartmann.
These jackets, most of which were made in France, featured zippers from “Eclair” and other brands (often French) whose names I've forgotten.

2000000665490-b1.jpg

3_blou10.jpg

tumblr_n3f79y9qdl1r3eyedo1_r1_1280.jpg

Hans-Joachim-Marseille.jpg

Last edited:

Kermit3D

When it comes to this last category of civilian jackets, it's sometimes hard to find your way around. 90% (or more) of the civilian jackets we see for sale on the internet that were supposedly worn by a German airman are in fact fakes (or at least they were never worn by German airmen).
As for your “Deutsches Reichspatent” zipper, yes, it seems to me that this has been seen on German ww2 clothing...

But I'm pretty sure this jacket is post-1945.

WW2 Buff

You have an excellent collection of correct original Luftwaffe flight jackets, in excellent condition! Thanks for sharing your collection and your welcomed knowledge!