• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 jacket for wear with Army Greens

Sonoran_Tj

I'm on the hunt for a quality A2 jacket for wearing with my Army Greens Service Uniform. The Army has a jacket sold in Clothing Sales that, from what I can tell, is made by Excelled Sheepskin and Leather. Typically Army contract uniform items aren't the best available, so I'm looking at other manufacturers as an alternative. If Excelled makes a good jacket please say so, I can get one from Clothing Sales for about $500.

The Army procured jacket is a modern design (internal and handwarmer pockets). The reg stipulates goatskin leather, patch pockets with side entry, inside chest pockets, and an inside pen pocket. I figure I can get away with skipping the interior pockets and probably the side entry pockets as they're not obvious when worn. The material and color will need to match. I'd like a jacket made with good material and workmanship. Preferably a cotton liner and wool knits. Preference goes to a jacket I can get in a short length as well, I have short arms.

From a few days of research I've come to a few options.

MCS issued - Excelled - $500 (likely has a synthetic material knit, possibly a blend)
Cockpit USA - $500 (appears to be current USAF supplier)
AVI leather - $335
Christie's - $200
US Authentic - $475 (can add customization for side pockets/pen pocket)
G&B - $600

I'm not sure what other options exist. If I understand correctly, Army MCS, Cockpit USA, and G&B are a modern, baggier design; while Christie's, AVI, and US Authentic are a thinner shaped WWII style. I'm ambivalent about side pockets, but the pen pocket would be useful. I think I like the older thin cut better but I haven't seen any good side by side pictures.

Which of these jackets is a good choice as far as materials and workmanship goes? Or do you recommend a different manufacturer? My budget is up to $700 and whichever I choose needs to resemble the MCS jacket enough to wear it around others in uniform.

B-Man2

Stop!! Don’t pay $500 for an Excelled or a Cockpit A2 military issued jacket . They are all over eBay for about $200 to $300 new and unworn .