• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Issued A-2 velcro pile removal

Banzai

Anyone done it? I'm thinking about removing the velcro pile on my old issued Avirex A-2, but not if it's going to tear up the jacket or be an expensive mess. I realize that it will leave some stitch/needle holes, but I'm worried that the velcro might be glued down as well.

Maybe I'll just be "that guy" post-military and wear it around with patches.

Pilot

Anyone done it? I'm thinking about removing the velcro pile on my old issued Avirex A-2, but not if it's going to tear up the jacket or be an expensive mess. I realize that it will leave some stitch/needle holes, but I'm worried that the velcro might be glued down as well.

Maybe I'll just be "that guy" post-military and wear it around with patches.
Photos please, maybe its a commercial jacket and its easier and safer to buy the real thing… an issued one..

Banzai

It's the Avirex A-2 that was issued to me about 20 years ago. So yes, I could go buy a Cockpit USAF A-2 without the velcro, but I wouldn't want one of those. I just like this one because it is my uniform jacket. If not for the sentimental attachment, I probably wouldn't wear it.

Maybe that's a good argument to just keep the velcro on after all...

B-Man2

If you remove the Velcro you can patch the holes by filling them in and using some hand rubbed dye over them . Even then you’ll still see them to some extent .
The Velcro says the jacket is an original issued jacket . If it were me I’d leave my name tag on it as well. Lets people know that it’s not just a fashion jacket and that you actually earned it .

Pilot

It's the Avirex A-2 that was issued to me about 20 years ago. So yes, I could go buy a Cockpit USAF A-2 without the velcro, but I wouldn't want one of those. I just like this one because it is my uniform jacket. If not for the sentimental attachment, I probably wouldn't wear it.

Maybe that's a good argument to just keep the velcro on after all...
Thanks for the feedback, anyway, photos are very welcome.
Thankyou

Banzai

A2 name redact.jpg

B-Man2

I wouldn’t change a thing .
That’s the kind of jacket that 20 years from now most of us would consider a real collectors item and shell out some bucks for.
It’s got everything we look for … history .. provenance , great condition … named to a guy who from the name tag was a command pilot .. man don’t change a thing. If you don’t want to wear it that way .. put it away and buy an unmarked used one for cheap money on here or EBay and wear it. Just my opinion.

Spitfireace

Yup, looks like a reasonable jacket to me. Saddelry is a issued jacket .. I would get one if it wasn't too long in sleeves for me.

Banzai

I wouldn’t change a thing .
That’s the kind of jacket that 20 years from now most of us would consider a real collectors item and shell out some bucks for.
It’s got everything we look for … history .. provenance , great condition … named to a guy who from the name tag was a command pilot .. man don’t change a thing. If you don’t want to wear it that way .. put it away and buy an unmarked used one for cheap money on here or EBay and wear it. Just my opinion.
Thanks. I'll keep it as is.

I recently hung up my spurs after 23 years, so was thinking of stripping the jacket of velcro to keep wearing it, but you're right.

When it was issued, I kind of wish I had known more about how a jacket "should" fit. I just asked for my flight suit size (38S). The guy at equipment issue actually tried to talk me into one size up...in case I "grew" (got fat?) or so things would fit under. But this 38 is still quite voluminous...I think the actual chest measurement is around 46". I would never intentionally buy a jacket this baggy.

B-Man2

Thanks. I'll keep it as is.

I recently hung up my spurs after 23 years, so was thinking of stripping the jacket of velcro to keep wearing it, but you're right.

When it was issued, I kind of wish I had known more about how a jacket "should" fit. I just asked for my flight suit size (38S). The guy at equipment issue actually tried to talk me into one size up...in case I "grew" (got fat?) or so things would fit under. But this 38 is still quite voluminous...I think the actual chest measurement is around 46". I would never intentionally buy a jacket this baggy.
So … if it were mine I would put it in a breathable moth proof bag . You can find them on Amazon . I would put it flat in the back of my closet on in a trunk …NO HANGERS.
I would save it and save any other flight suits or uniforms with it to include any of your medals and decorations . Or you can wear it .
But basically I would save it for my son , daughter or grand kids . For about $175.00 you can buy one on eBay in perfect shape and beat the piss out of it . Save this one for you and your family. It’s part of who you are and your legacy Colonel .. :)

Last edited: