• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with selecting A-2

shiningbind

Apologies if this is not the right section to post this -- let me know if there's somewhere else it's better off being in.

I'm looking to get an A-2 jacket as a gift for my father's 75th birthday, and while I've been doing a lot of research the last few days over which ones to consider, I think my head is starting to swim with all the different options and some guidance/suggestions would be extremely helpful and much appreciated.

I'm looking for something at the absolute upper range of $600 USD. I think cowhide would be preferable over goatskin due to the advantage in durability, but it's by no means a hard requirement between the two. He wears 34/36 in dress shirts, so I'm thinking potentially a 40 or 42R in size would be best in case of any jackets being more of a slim fit + accounting for any other layering going on. I know that eBay is a good move in terms of finding really good deals on the higher end jackets, but due to my overall lack of knowledge about leather jackets (with a dash of decision paralysis), I'm admittedly a little hesitant to go in that direction. I also only have a month to find something, so sitting and waiting for the right item to show up is unfortunately not in the cards for me.

If there's any more information needed to help with ideas, please let me know. I really appreciate your help in advance, if you're reading this.

Thanks!

B-Man2

Hi
That’s a great idea for your dad’s 75th .
While your question seems simple enough you may have inadvertently opened “Pandoras Box “ so be prepared for a number of suggestions and manufacturer recommendations.
Here’s Mine ;
99 percent of us here are avid military jacket collectors and we tend to focus on vintage original military jackets and stitch for stitch repros of those types of jackets . We will willingly spend a hundreds and a couple of thousand dollars on these jackets . So here’s my point … your dad probably doesn’t fit into this category and as such you don’t need to spend $500 or $600. on a stitch for stitch repro for him . When he wears it probably no one in his circle will know whether it’s an accurate repro or a close facsimile. So check out 5 star leather or one of the other low cost options for your dad . 5 star will custom make a jacket to your dad’s measurements . Now on the other hand if you want a high end A2 repro jacket then $600 won’t get you there if we’re talking Eastman or Good Wear which are the two top tier A2 jacket manufacturers.
Ok so now … sit back and wait for the rest of the guys to offer their opinions . You won’t be disappointed as they have a great knowledge of A2 jackets and repros .
Cheers

Pilot

Talk to John from Goodwear, he has for sure something.
A 75 th Birthday happens only once in a lifetime and deserves more than a disguisement… so Goodwear only!
Many here tried a lot of others, but at the end came all or are coming to Goodwear.

Brettafett

Where are you/ your dad situated?

I'd buy new, as far as an A-2 goes.
Buying in the country you live makes sense, as you can buy & try, return or exchange if need be.

Id also be cautious of projecingt 'our' ideas of original-maker contracts & stitch counts... And focus more on comfort and practicality.
Unless of course your dad knows the difference between a Monarch and a Roughwear and cares enough about the details.

If he is of a more slim to average build, then a 38 or 40 may be fine, depending on who you get the jacket from.
Some more modern makers, make their patterns a bit more oversidzed for the modern gentleman = Arguably more comfy.
US Wings, Cockpit & Cooper for example.

Example

Generally want to size one or two up from his chest size, depending on body type.

I bought my dad a Cooper goatskin A-2 years ago and he loved it. It was soft and comfortable, which was more important than who made it or what zipper it has.
He could move around, lift his arms and drive, without the pattern restrictions of a stitch for stitch accurate repro, made for young chaps in their 20s.
Bought it new old stock.

A custom 5 Star has already been mentioned.

Also check out AVI Leather (there may be import duties if outside the EU)
Easy returns/ exchanges.

Last thing to mention... You said and A-2, but consider a G-1/ M-422a
Extremely comfortable, easy to wear with the bi-swing back and rayon lining.

I cant recommend AVI Leather's G&F M-422a enough.
The jacket is superb. Incredible comfortable and easy to wear. It's hard to take off. Goatskin is light and flexy and very forgiving to wear.
The rayon lining makes for easy wearing in most climates.

If the fur collars a bother, look at the ANJ-3. Basically a M-422a with a leather collar. Best of both.

Or, get him an original G-1 of Ebay.
You should easily be able to find an original G-1 in a 38 or 40, in great condition, for well within your budget The real deal.
Try and stick to black label jackets. Made with goat and real mouton fur collars. Hold their value (generally).
White label E series are fine also. Depends what your after.

p.s. goat is extremely hard wearing, often soft & supple. Originals from early WWII are often still easily wearable.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

a gen u wine g-1 is a good idea, assuming ropa usada [used clothing] isn't a bugaboo. new? if you are in the us, 5*. lotsa bang for the buck, and pretty fast turn around. both of these suggestion would bring you in under $400.

B-Man2

What size does your dad wear ?
We have several members here who have jackets that are like new who are selling them due to sizing issues or they just own too many jackets . You could pick up a top tier quality A2 for reasonable money within your budget .