• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanger bums and HH, and advice?

tempusfugit

I would certainly never store an original A-2 on a hanger, but does anyone really think the original owners put them in boxes and stored them flat. So with reproduction jackets I would not stress too much if you have a decent hanger with collar support and wide shoulders. Just think of it as part of the proper aging process like all the WW2 vets did. (And yes, I have no doubt that some of them just tossed their jackets in a corner. But their wives probably then hung them up on a hanger and sighed.) Here is the kind of hanger I mean. I inherited this one and no idea where to buy new ones. The ones at the Container Store look much narrower. That being said, I generally cycle my jackets on and off the hangers.

Hang the piss out of those repro jackets! (Apologies to Burt.)

On the other hand, I know lots of people have had problems with storing reproduction shearling jackets on hangers, so beware in that case.

View attachment 154499
I think a hanger like this is really the 95% solution for storing jackets, excluding heavy shearling.

To be fair there are cases where using a hanger like this will not work though: my Aero A-2 has a pattern that makes the epaulettes sit somehow in front of the hanger support, which I believe would end up forming bumps behind the epaulettes like in the thread starter image. In that jacket's case it was really obvious it was not a good fit with any of the hangers I had at home. Because of this I store the jacket folded. Other jackets sit very nicely on the wide supports with the shoulder seams going directly over the hanger and I really can't see any damage coming there.