• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Star pics

ZuZu

20240921_094220.jpg

20240921_094414.jpg

20240921_095742.jpg

Jennison

Gorgeous jacket! I hope I’m not tossing a grenade by asking this, but you seem like a self-avowed purist (I mean that as a compliment): do you insist on chrome-tanned leather for your A-2s? I don’t know much at all about tanning processes so forgive me if this is some sort of a don’t-go-there question.

ZuZu

Gorgeous jacket! I hope I’m not tossing a grenade by asking this, but you seem like a self-avowed purist (I mean that as a compliment): do you insist on chrome-tanned leather for your A-2s? I don’t know much at all about tanning processes so forgive me if this is some sort of a don’t-go-there question.
The chrome tanned Horween is probably closest but my insane brain was actuallt trying to replicate this Star:
20230731_210442 (3).jpg

If you watch 12 O'Clock High this Star is in it. It's brand new and the leather is sort of stiff- unusally IMO for WW2 jackets. There is grain in the close ups but from far back it looks like a modern repro! So I thought get a very specific Star refering to this one which looks like a repro. I told JC to use stiffish Shinki overdyed.

It is getting looser now as Shinki does in my experience.

This is what I wanted- John delivered!

20230623_171623.jpg

Jennison

Bravo man!! What an awesome post! I wasn’t expecting that at all! Major Cobb had the absolute best jacket in the movie. It was quite a tragedy that Star got scattered across the German sky. Lt Bishop’s jacket? Not so much…

Thanks for the response ZuZu

PS: First photo, Joe Cobb is telling Gen Savage that almost the entire station stowed away on the Wilhelmshaven Mission. Second photo: “I don’t know if you still want me General…I was kinda stiff.”

B-Man2

The TV show has a few Stars in it too including this one which appeared worn by Robert Lansing in a few episodes and then was supplanted by a hideous studio jacket with cloth gussets...

View attachment 159655

View attachment 159657
Just watched the original 1944 film “ 30 Seconds Over Tokyo” and was throughly disappointed that there wasn’t one original A2 in the movie . Two piece backs on every jacket seen in the film .

Pa12

Just watched the original 1944 film “ 30 Seconds Over Tokyo” and was throughly disappointed that there wasn’t one original A2 in the movie . Two piece backs on every jacket seen in the film .
Just watched it myself about a month ago. First time I’ve seen it with the knowledge to recognize that. Haven’t seen it in many, many years. Also recently watched “the best years of our lives “. I’ve always found it to be timeless and a great movie. Ahead of its time. Do you know if Dana Andrews jacket was an original?