• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Leather : Type A-2: Rough Wear W535-ac-27752

LV426

Hello , i recently aquired a beautifull 5* A2 Dubow 27798 , 1st A2 and becoming addict. I got a crush on the Good Wear Leather : Type A-2: Rough Wear W535-ac-27752 , what's your thoughs ?
I love the general sharp cut , the collar with the stripe added , Crown zipper and horsehide leather. I saw that Eastman makes some gorgeous one too. The only difference I see is the price. About it , living in France the US dollar is less expensice than the Pound ( a pitty that UK i no more in the Europeen space )
Is the leather will have the aspect like on the pic i post with the thread or is it a example of what it'll look like by wearing the jacket thru time ??
I'm aware that the two manufacturers are TOP quality. Thank you ! https://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwroughwear_images11.html
https://www.eastmanleather.com/orig...type-a-2-rough-wear-eto-winter-lined-mod.html
front_view2.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot

By experience, I had both ( sold both jackets here ).
John used much more solid ( correct )cuff knits.
John used United Carr marked studs.
John has the correct lower Zipper box
John has the correct tappering on the sleeves/arms.
John has the correct positioning if the collar studs and pockets.
Again my experience on both makers with the same contract.

LV426

Hard call, because both are top of the line. Since you are an admitted addict, you now have the pleasure of driving your self nutz making a decision. Either way you
By experience, I had both ( sold both jackets here ).
John used much more solid ( correct )cuff knits.
John used United Carr marked studs.
John has the correct lower Zipper box
John has the correct tappering on the sleeves/arms.
John has the correct positioning if the collar studs and pockets.
Again my experience on both makers with the same contract.
Thank you !! Hum hum ... So John is ?? GW ? EL ?

Jtrob

Hello , i recently aquired a beautifull 5* A2 Dubow 27798 , 1st A2 and becoming addict. I got a crush on the Good Wear Leather : Type A-2: Rough Wear W535-ac-27752 , what's your thoughs ?
I love the general sharp cut , the collar with the stripe added , Crown zipper and horsehide leather. I saw that Eastman makes some gorgeous one too. The only difference I see is the price. About it , living in France the US dollar is less expensice than the Pound ( a pitty that UK i no more in the Europeen space )
Is the leather will have the aspect like on the pic i post with the thread or is it a example of what it'll look like by wearing the jacket thru time ??
I'm aware that the two manufacturers are TOP quality. Thank you ! https://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwroughwear_images11.html
https://www.eastmanleather.com/orig...type-a-2-rough-wear-eto-winter-lined-mod.htmlView attachment 150567
I have GW and ELC, as others have said, both are great quality, John/GW just does it a little better and I would add I think (again, just me)Johns Leather sourcing/choices are a cut above ELC. One Other thing, my experience has been top notch working with John, personal and deeply informative. he is an artist and it comes thru in his work.

Pa12

Hah, I was debating whether to share it (“…but I share this pic all the time…”) but now I have to. ;)
View attachment 150577
Not sure I’d say it’s better though - the collar on yours is insane, @Pa12.
I think the only difference there Jan is that the horween is so buttery soft that it’s hard to hold a shape. I guess that’s one advantage to the stiffer Italian hh. I’ve noticed that on my bronco and dubow which are both horween.Funny, I never thought of my Italian hh as being stiff until I got a horween jacket. Man, felt like someone had been wearing it 20 years right out of the box. Nice stuff and makes an incredibly comfortable jacket. Doesn’t even feel like you’re wearing a leather jacket.

Brettafett

Owned multiple top end repro RWs from all makers.

GW makes the better jacket overall, as far as the 'Devil being in the Details'.
Be aware, living in France, you will pay another $90 +- postage on top and import duties. Sometimes people get lucky, but being in the UK, I've been hit with duties and taxes every time.
$200 deposit and around a 12 month wait. Lots of time to get excited.

ELC often has regular size jackets ready to ship. You can return for replacement or refund.
Second all of @Pilot observations.

Another option you may want to consider is Bill Kelso (out of Greece)
They make an excellent RW, easily on par with GW and ELC, although of the three, GW takes the podium.
BK are pedantic with detailing and their Liberty hh is fantastic.
There are numerous reviews on here of their 23380 and 27752.
They say 4 to 6 weeks, but it's more like 4 to 6 months, pay up front. Jackets always arrive, but check here regs sizing and fit before you commit..
BK are not as good at communication as the others, they are slightly cheaper, and you wont pay import duties.

Do you homework, dont just compare pictures.
Any one of the above would be a win.

BK and ELC will do custom sizing to some degree. ELC wont change leather or detailing, which is understandable.
BK do offer options and their knits are great.
GW - John goes the extra 2 miles. He hand dyes the leather (various options) and knit parts to your spec, custom sizing etc.
Also, John's new knits are the best Ive seen.

p.s. Also wouldn't say the RW is a 'sharp' cut. At the correct size, the RW is more boxy and rounded shoulders are the norm.

Last edited:

blackrat2

Think pretty much you’ve gotten it figured from what everyone has posted, I have struggled with the RW collar but I am aware from emails with John that he can alter the collars based on what he has seen and handled by way of originals within the contract you mentioned