• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Leather : Type A-2: Rough Wear W535-ac-27752

Pilot

I also had a BK RW from the same contract..
Without going into details ( search for its posting and what happened afterwards).. it went into charity old clothes …
Posts and why and whatsabout should still be here somewhere.

CK90

LV, the guys have already said plenty, so I'll just add that I have just taken delivery of a Good Wear Rough Wear 18091 in goatskin. I also have an order placed for a 27752. Mr Chapman's work cannot be matched, he's one of a kind and so are his jackets... just look at that Rough wear in the image you attached - it does not get any better than that, that is art!!!

LV426

I have GW and ELC, as others have said, both are great quality, John/GW just does it a little better and I would add I think (again, just me)Johns Leather sourcing/choices are a cut above ELC. One Other thing, my experience has been top notch working with John, personal and deeply informative. he is an artist and it comes thru in his work.
Thank you foe the recisions . Visiting the site , i loved all the details and explanations about the leather , the History of each jackets. I know now that EL C is a very good quality but , perhaps there is a too vast variety in his production : Boots , bags , gloves , .... it looks like a big or a "big medium" company , on the contrary , GW L is focused on jackets and coats , that is , to me a green light.

Pa12

Like Donna Summer : " I feel love i feel love i feel LOOoooovvvveeee .... Iiii Feel LOOoooove ! " ;) For your jacket ! Did the leather came like this when unboxing ?
Ha ha, you must have watched the same pbs doc on disco that my wife watched last night. Disco songs in my head all day. Especially Barry gibb screaming like a banshee with his brothers putting a Vulcan death grip on his nutsack;)No. It’s about 2 years old now. Still a bit stiff compared to horween but getting better.

Pa12

LV, the guys have already said plenty, so I'll just add that I have just taken delivery of a Good Wear Rough Wear 18091 in goatskin. I also have an order placed for a 27752. Mr Chapman's work cannot be matched, he's one of a kind and so are his jackets... just look at that Rough wear in the image you attached - it does not get any better than that, that is art!!!
Not to mention custom made. Keep your eyes open for a used one. Mine were all gently used. And after all, when you get a new one the first thing you’ll want to do is break it in. The process has already been started on a used one(maybe). In all honesty I couldn’t tell mine from a brand new one.

LV426

Yes , that why i felt in love immediately with . The spirit , also , really like the style of the site , the descriptions , the manner he has to tell the story of it , a lot of details that makes me feel that it's the right place.

LV426

Ha ha, you must have watched the same pbs doc on disco that my wife watched last night. Disco songs in my head all day. Especially Barry gibb screaming like a banshee with his brothers putting a Vulcan death grip on his nutsack;)No. It’s about 2 years old now. Still a bit stiff compared to horween but getting better.
Yes , i understand about the patina , and the break in process . I love the way to break in , mold it patiently and so on . About disco , Donna is one few i can stand !!! I'm more in old Punk bands like The Clash , Stiff Little Fingers or The Ruts . But sometimes a demon take old on me and i listen to Disco !!!

LV426

Not to mention custom made. Keep your eyes open for a used one. Mine were all gently used. And after all, when you get a new one the first thing you’ll want to do is break it in. The process has already been started on a used one(maybe). In all honesty I couldn’t tell mine from a brand new one.
I understand what you're saying , but finding a 48 size is ... quite impossible ? I like the way to make my new jacket , ALL mine , with the break in process ( i love to do that with work boots ) and give some patina of my own , searching the best ways to do so , here there are some good threads about ! NBut , yes if i have the chance to find a used one size 48 i will go for it !

Pa12

Yes , i understand about the patina , and the break in process . I love the way to break in , mold it patiently and so on . About disco , Donna is one few i can stand !!! I'm more in old Punk bands like The Clash , Stiff Little Fingers or The Ruts . But sometimes a demon take old on me and i listen to Disco !!!
Yeah I get it. I guess it was dance music after all so it’s hard to resist putting on your inner John travolta when you hear it. So they say;)

LV426

I also had a BK RW from the same contract..
Without going into details ( search for its posting and what happened afterwards).. it went into charity old clothes …
Posts and why and whatsabout should still be here somewhere.
Yes , I've read some threads about BK , I visited the site and my 1st impression was that his work is excellent , but my only worry is about communication . there is a thread "Bill Kelso. Whats happening?" where some customers / members worried about the non communication and time they are waiting for there jackets .. I'm aware that it takes 6 or even 1 year to produce a serious jacket , but without communcation at all , it's become frustrating or even more than that . That's why i think i will go for a BK.
" .

LV426

Owned multiple top end repro RWs from all makers.

GW makes the better jacket overall, as far as the 'Devil being in the Details'.
Be aware, living in France, you will pay another $90 +- postage on top and import duties. Sometimes people get lucky, but being in the UK, I've been hit with duties and taxes every time.
$200 deposit and around a 12 month wait. Lots of time to get excited.

ELC often has regular size jackets ready to ship. You can return for replacement or refund.
Second all of @Pilot observations.

Another option you may want to consider is Bill Kelso (out of Greece)
They make an excellent RW, easily on par with GW and ELC, although of the three, GW takes the podium.
BK are pedantic with detailing and their Liberty hh is fantastic.
There are numerous reviews on here of their 23380 and 27752.
They say 4 to 6 weeks, but it's more like 4 to 6 months, pay up front. Jackets always arrive, but check here regs sizing and fit before you commit..
BK are not as good at communication as the others, they are slightly cheaper, and you wont pay import duties.

Do you homework, dont just compare pictures.
Any one of the above would be a win.

BK and ELC will do custom sizing to some degree. ELC wont change leather or detailing, which is understandable.
BK do offer options and their knits are great.
GW - John goes the extra 2 miles. He hand dyes the leather (various options) and knit parts to your spec, custom sizing etc.
Also, John's new knits are the best Ive seen.

p.s. Also wouldn't say the RW is a 'sharp' cut. At the correct size, the RW is more boxy and rounded shoulders are the norm.
Thanks for the exhastive reply !!! yes , i have the same feelings , just reading all the threads about these 3 . EML could be a good orption , BK ... i've read the thread "Bill Kelso. Whats happening?" ... And about GW , i think i will give him my preference , no matter the Xtra import taxes. The qualty VS price. I will keep this jacket a LOooooong time ! So i think my decision is already taken . Now , i have to get in touch with John , and ask him some advices , and my measurements . I have a good feeling with all the messages i read about him .

Wz1999

Original Rough Wear 1401-P
Good Wear RW 1401-P
IMG_9344.jpeg

LV426

If you’re really into the details (like some of us) you will probably never be satisfied until you have a Goodwear. So by getting one straight out of the gate you’re probably saving money. Some of us spent thousands working our way up to one.
Yes , that's exactely my though ! I've just bought my 1st A2 , a 5 star that is good , really good quality , for a beginner like me . To continue i want the best , as you said ,I benefit from all your experiences while reading all the VLJ threads !

Last edited: