• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar Monarch 23378

Banzai

Originally bought an off the rack stock size 46 RW. Length was listed as 24.4” and when I received that jacket decided 24.4” was too short for me. Sold it to a friend of mine. I reached out to him and got him to take pics of its back measurements. It had shrunk down to 24” even. So lost 1/2” at this point and it’s a year old. Looks like shrinkage stops at about 2 or 3 months. I can pull on the jackets leather and get most of that length back. And I suppose after a while of repeatedly doing that it would stay there. But I am comfortable at 25”.
So my recommendation to anyone buying a jacket to figure out what length you are happy with and go an inch longer. Being an inch longer than what you want is not going to make a big difference. A inch shorter than what you want is a huge difference.
And from what I just heard back from others on this thread I would recommend an inch longer on any manufacturer you order from.
Sounds like you ordered a jacket. What jacket did you order?
I have a Five Star “crusader”…their take on the Indy jacket. Was pondering a RW27752, maybe in “pull-up”. The stock dimensions on the 40 look pretty much right for me, but not if the body shrinks. I could lose up to an inch off the stock measurements in the sleeves. I anticipate sleeve “shrinking” with any leather jacket, but not body. I ordered the Crusader with a sleeve length anticipating losing about 0.5” or a bit more.

I remember the “proof” photos they sent. Amazingly spot on. I just think it’s funny that people here are tying themselves in knots about the tiny measurement details from custom vendors like Five Star to get the exact perfect fit…and then the whole thing shrinks. It’s a good argument for off-the-rack sizing. Just buy the closest, and be happy with it.

So maybe I’ll just buy a Buzz Rickson’s on my next trip to Tokyo. At least then I won’t be agonizing over whether I should have gotten it made with a half-inch less here or and inch more there, etc.

Camel24hrs

I have a Five Star “crusader”…their take on the Indy jacket. Was pondering a RW27752, maybe in “pull-up”. The stock dimensions on the 40 look pretty much right for me, but not if the body shrinks. I could lose up to an inch off the stock measurements in the sleeves. I anticipate sleeve “shrinking” with any leather jacket, but not body. I ordered the Crusader with a sleeve length anticipating losing about 0.5” or a bit more.

I remember the “proof” photos they sent. Amazingly spot on. I just think it’s funny that people here are tying themselves in knots about the tiny measurement details from custom vendors like Five Star to get the exact perfect fit…and then the whole thing shrinks. It’s a good argument for off-the-rack sizing. Just buy the closest, and be happy with it.

So maybe I’ll just buy a Buzz Rickson’s on my next trip to Tokyo. At least then I won’t be agonizing over whether I should have gotten it made with a half-inch less here or and inch more there, etc.
Across the shoulders and waist did not shrink. I guess because wearing the jackets keeps them stretched out. But from top to bottom there is no pressure to keep them from shrinking. I got QC pics and pics now that will show the shrinkage. When I first got the jackets at 26” after trying them on my thought was I think I went a little to long. Then after a month or so my thought was I like this length. It was only after I put a tape to them that I realized they had shrunk in length. So if I had known 25” is where I like it and ordered that I would not be happy.
Problem with buying a stock jacket is I got no idea how long ago that jacket was made. And from comments on this thread others have observed this from other repo manufacturers too.

1” make a huge difference in the fit length wise. Same on the sleeves. It’s better to be a tad long that a tad short.

Banzai

Across the shoulders and waist did not shrink. I guess because wearing the jackets keeps them stretched out. But from top to bottom there is no pressure to keep them from shrinking. I got QC pics and pics now that will show the shrinkage. When I first got the jackets at 26” after trying them on my thought was I think I went a little to long. Then after a month or so my thought was I like this length. It was only after I put a tape to them that I realized they had shrunk in length. So if I had known 25” is where I like it and ordered that I would not be happy.
Problem with buying a stock jacket is I got no idea how long ago that jacket was made. And from comments on this thread others have observed this from other repo manufacturers too.

1” make a huge difference in the fit length wise. Same on the sleeves. It’s better to be a tad long that a tad short.
Sure, you don’t know any of that info about picking a jacket off the rack. But you’ll never find yourself thinking about what if you had ordered it just a tiny bit different, and maybe even returning to the well to do so. It just is what it is, and you never think about the possibility that it could have been *just* right.

B-Man2

Sure, you don’t know any of that info about picking a jacket off the rack. But you’ll never find yourself thinking about what if you had ordered it just a tiny bit different, and maybe even returning to the well to do so. It just is what it is, and you never think about the possibility that it could have been *just* right.
If I might jump in and share past experiences with you guys. Here’s what I’ve found after several years of trying to guess what size or what fit I liked the best. Years ago I struggled with the elusive “war time fit” where the jacket looked trim and fit like it was tailor made for me. I struggled with 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch measurements . “Did I need a 1/2 inch more here or a 1/4 inch less there” it made me nuts . Now years later … looser feels better …. Layering room gives me the opportunity to wear the jacket in different temperatures and weather. In the spring the jacket is a little loose , in the colder weather I can wear a C-2 sweater under it and wear it down to 32 F .
My entire jacket collection has undergone a transformation from trim fit to relaxed fit .
So the point I’m trying to make is don’t get hung up over exact sizing . Your sizing requirements will change over time .
Guaranteed ..

Last edited: