• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Rough Wear 27752

Dany McDonald

Fivestar copied it, then played with a distressed version. I like that they try.

Since you said it ... - yeah obviously there is a gost of the rank ...

interesting detail which i din't recon before

FiveStar were always motivated in a way most outfit can't replicate for logistic and budget reasons etc. They are like a lab in a certain way and it's interesting that it resulted in this RW.
I am still trying to imagine a A-2 new in 43 in that deep reddish brown or that original in the photo has been altered somewhere in its life.

Last edited:

Blackboxr1200S

Lookin' nice - whats the specs like color and hide (looks like goat???)

Hi Thomas,

The RW is Mid brown horse hide, olive stitching. seal brown knits.
size 44 , just added few cm on sleeves and back for my liking.

1729082656763.png

DUBOW I have is in goat

1729082798280.png

ZuZu

Fivestar did work from an original 27752 they borrowed, as seen in the thread you posted. The 1st copy looks to dimensionally the same to me. I've sewn things with the same pattern on different days and have had slight differences.

If you are looking at this, one jacket is closer than the other.

View attachment 162041
The test model actually looks pretty good- it actually captures some of the nuances of the jacket he's copying! You can see an earnest attempt to replicate what the original looked like.

1729001409177.jpg

This is a mess as far as an earnest copy goes. The seam allowances are way too visible and are incorrect. The epaulet which looks pretty good on the test jacket looks generic and not very Rough Wear-like here.
1729022076472.png

1729022076472.png

As far as measurements- we can't use Eastamn as a gauge as their pattern has not much to do with reality. And as Burt and others have pointed out originals themselves vary a lot and drying and possible shrinkage come with 80+ years.

With 5 Star you get a sort of strange $450 repro. Leopard, spots, lipstick on a pig...

Attachments

• 1729022076472.png
    1729022076472.png
    365.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1729022076472.png
    1729022076472.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1729001409177.jpg
    1729001409177.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 4

Thomas Koehle

FiveStar were always motivated in a way most outfit can't replicate for logistic and budget reasons etc. They are like a lab in a certain way and it's interesting that it resulted in this RW.
I am still trying to imagine a A-2 new in 43 in that deep reddish brown or that original in the photo has been altered somewhere in its life.

my experiences with 5* have always been positive - the key is close communication in order to avoid missunderstandings and dissapointments

Blackboxr1200S

The test model actually looks pretty good- it actually captures some of the nuances of the jacket he's copying! You can see an earnest attempt to replicate what the original looked like.

View attachment 162139

This is a mess as far as an earnest copy goes. The seam allowances are way too visible and are incorrect. The epaulet which looks pretty good on the test jacket looks generic and not very Rough Wear-like here.
View attachment 162143

View attachment 162137

As far as measurements- we can't use Eastamn as a gauge as their pattern has not much to do with reality. And as Burt and others have pointed out originals themselves vary a lot and drying and possible shrinkage come with 80+ years.

With 5 Star you get a sort of strange $450 repro. Leopard, spots, lipstick on a pig...
Did you just call me a pig?

Honestly, I.ve seen a lot worse displayed on here.
Anyway... I'm not gonna destroy it with fire. Jacket feels nice wearing and not one fuckerino shall be given because of a generic epaulet.
Love the graphic description though..
Going to take a while to get it out of my mind.

Skyranger

I was very disappointed with the A-2 I bought from 5star, but for the price I should have guessed. That said, the communication was very good, and the requested measurements were respected.
To return to the price, by adding the delivery, the Tip, the customs taxes we arrive at a price close to much more high-end manufacturers in second-hand.
I am waiting for feedback from other B-10 buyers to order one, because that is the strength of 5star if they make me one to my measurements, while ELC or BR make doll clothes! ;)

bn1966

Couldn’t get on with the ELC cloth jackets … tried the B-15 but sleeves were too long and shoulders too narrow … now out of my price range anyway. Having a couple of decent ELC A2’s I won’t be trying 5*, had a custom G-1 from them but the measurements on the sent product weren’t the ones I gave them and it subsequently didn’t fit, didn’t go for a remake as I sent them everything apart from the hide. They did make me a decent Trucker custom though & their cloth / nylon jackets are of interest.

Pa12

I was very disappointed with the A-2 I bought from 5star, but for the price I should have guessed. That said, the communication was very good, and the requested measurements were respected.
To return to the price, by adding the delivery, the Tip, the customs taxes we arrive at a price close to much more high-end manufacturers in second-hand.
I am waiting for feedback from other B-10 buyers to order one, because that is the strength of 5star if they make me one to my measurements, while ELC or BR make doll clothes! ;)
He asked for my measurements, suggested the size, and then sent pictures when it was done showing the measurements.

Skyranger

A good replica is not just a copy/paste of a jacket pattern from almost a century ago, but it is adapting it to the current morphology, in short: putting it on the scale of human evolution which tends to grow, because well fed and well cared for! Fortunately those who make replicas of uniforms from the Napoleonic era do not do like BR and ELC, otherwise there would only be dwarves to reenact this era! :)

ZuZu

We could go down the Great White Hope road again- but we don't need to. IMO there is no $450 Pakistani repro worth buying- fool's gold! Better to buy a Cooper or some such.