• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 B-24 Jacket: Need Help Identifying The Aircraft

Hi Group. I’ve got an WWII A-2 B-24 50 Missions Jacket (and have owned it for 30-40 years). I would appreciate help identifying the aircraft it belongs with. It is NOT for sale. Details below.

Existing artwork is in excellent condition. Back of jacket has the A/C image surrounded by what appears to be “flack” where missions were flown. No identifying name is in jacket. Photo of the jacket shows name of the aircraft. Please note the way the aircraft name is configured on the jacket. I have found many “Mischiefs” in various configurations and spellings, but none that match this style with “Mis” on a top line and “Chief” below it.

I don’t know the type of paint, but I can tell that it is not acrylic. In spite of age, you can still feel the paint surface. With your fingertip, you can feel the way it protrudes above the surface of the leather. Stitch markings remain in the appropriate location where patches would have been. Of interest, on the epaulets, are stitch marks indicating a senior NCO rather than an officer’s insignia.

I would really appreciate any help available to identify the aircraft. Again, it is NOT for sale.

01 B-24 Jacket Back Panel.jpeg
02 B-24 Jacket 50 Missions.jpg
03 B-24 Jacket Right Shoulder.jpeg
04 B-24 Jacket Inside lining.jpeg
05 B-24 Jacket Label.jpeg
06 B-24 Jacket 50 Missions.jpg
07 B-24 Jacket 50 Missions.jpg
08 B-24 Jacket 50 Missions.jpg

Silver Surfer

dunno if its any help, but the jacket appears to be a 1943 Perry. if that is correct, the sgt saw combat '43-'44. does that narrow it down? the aircraft may have been shot down or suffered any number of disasters before the name mis chief was recorded in photos or recorded in log books. you have yourself a real head scratcher. hang around for a while, as there are some real Sherlock Holmes types around here that might be able to shed some light on this.

Last edited:
dunno if its any help, but the jacket appears to be a 1943 Perry. if that is correct, the sgt saw combat '43-'44. does that narrow it down? the aircraft may have been shot down or suffered any number of disasters before the name mis chief was recorded in photos or recorded in log books. you have yourself a real head scratcher. hang around for a while, as there are some real Sherlock Holmes types around here that might be able to shed some light on this.
Silver Surfer, Thanks so much for your information and reply. I did not know that information about the jacket. I’ll keep digging, and hopefully more clues will present themselves. Again, much appreciated.

Jennison

I may have found your ship. B-24J No. 42-64368 “Mis-Chief” was a replacement aircraft shipped on March 20, 1944 from Mitchell Field, Long Island to the 449th Bomb Group, 15th A.F., based in Grottaglie, Italy. Mis-Chief was assigned to the 717th Squadron and flew 45 combat missions, mostly over Central and Eastern Europe (consistent with the places on your A-2). The ship survived the War. It was common for 15th Air Force crewmen to wear American Flags on their flying jacket sleeves. I’ve attached a photo of a 15th AF worn Aero 18775.

Lastly, the bombs on the jacket represent the number of missions flown by the wearer, not necessarily the named airplane. Individuals and crews were assigned different ships from time to time.

Attachments

• IMG_6358.jpeg
    IMG_6358.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,611
Last edited: