• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Time Trying to Stencil . Whats the best stuff to use on leather, nylon and cloth in general ?

Dany McDonald

Oh boy, practice a lot with your technique, airbrush or brush on cardboard or a piece of fabric before the plunge.
I can't remember the exact name but metal stencils plates are the best as you can trip/test/fail and just wipe the paint off and retry.

Make sure not to dilute the paint too much as it will run under the stencil. You will have more control with what is called dry brush technique (look it up).
Airbrush is better but takes lots of practice if you're a newbie.

What have you got in mind (leather or fabric) and what type of paint will you use, and how big?

Interesting!!!

B-Man2

Oh forgot to ask, are you using tape for your stencil?
Thanks Dany
No I purchased military style 2 inch and 1 inch plastic stencil sets. I’ve tried using them with paint markers which are made for cloth and leather. They seem to work really well as they are just magic markers filled with paint and you can easily control them so that you stay within the stencil .

B-Man2

Alternatively a stencil brush or sponge, cloth pad [cotton wool wrapped in a bit of lint free cloth] dabbed works well too ensuring not to load too much paint on the brush etc and to dab it off on a bit of scrap first. Ensure the item to are stencilling is kept taught and stencils kept in position.
Thanks Steve … good to know .

Micawber

Stencil brushes. Image 'borrowed' off the net.

sten16_add_1.jpg

Dany McDonald

Try the dry brush technique, you will almost get the same control as with pen but you get to choose the type of paint.
Personally I prefer oil as it will not dry too fast so you have more time to work, etc. And has a vtg look and feel once dry.

All good ideas in this thread, I love the Steve stencil brushes.

HTH,

D

Last edited:

Cocker

For cotton t-shirts, here's how I usually proceed:

- Do a stencil design in photoshop and print it out on heavy paper (200g)
- Cut off all of the stencil by hand, using an X-Acto knife
- Tape the stencil to the t-shirt
- Put a heavy cardboard inside the t-shirt, beneath the stencil, to avoid the paint going through the fabric and printing on the reverse side
- Go at it with stencil brush, either with a cloth paint that can be purchased in about any craft shop
- Once done and dry, I usually put the shirt in the oven, on a low setting, to heat cure it

Nothing too complicated, you just have to make sure not to put too much paint on your brush, and as the other guys said above, use more of a dry brushing technique.

It's been a while since the last I've done, I have a couple projects ready to go, might dive back into it soon. Here's a couple t-shirts I did, all of them held pretty neatly to washing:

1729236218712.jpeg

1729236259082.jpeg

Far from perfect, but hey, at least it was fun to do!

Thomas Koehle

Burt,

if you want to have some "in depth" first-hand hints @ties70 is a pro in doing stencilling

xoGwyLD.jpg

YEvwXTB.jpg

Gcpg4f0.jpg

HEaEGx1.jpg

a2AOBpb.jpg

nnSgqhf.jpg

UeMWh86.jpg

Me myself i tried it as well using stencils from heavy cardboard (i bought them) and a standard paintbrush on which i shortened the fibers so i basically get a stencil brush. I dabbed the tip into undiluted acryl paint which works fine - you can also used special textile-colors - dab the tip of the brush into and remove as much paint with a cloth (similar to drybrushing in modelling) then get to work with the stencil. I dab the paint on the fabric in several runs. Thus you can control whether you want a more "faded" appearance or factory fresh markings.

t8QsDWv.jpg

One of my own attempts - the paint is too heavy imho so since i got that hint from Ties to go in several layers even my markings look a bit more realistic.

After the stencilling i iron my stuff in order to make the color more durable and to avoid further fading.