• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Time Trying to Stencil . Whats the best stuff to use on leather, nylon and cloth in general ?

Dany McDonald

Oh boy, practice a lot with your technique, airbrush or brush on cardboard or a piece of fabric before the plunge.
I can't remember the exact name but metal stencils plates are the best as you can trip/test/fail and just wipe the paint off and retry.

Make sure not to dilute the paint too much as it will run under the stencil. You will have more control with what is called dry brush technique (look it up).
Airbrush is better but takes lots of practice if you're a newbie.

What have you got in mind (leather or fabric) and what type of paint will you use, and how big?

Interesting!!!

B-Man2

Oh forgot to ask, are you using tape for your stencil?
Thanks Dany
No I purchased military style 2 inch and 1 inch plastic stencil sets. I’ve tried using them with paint markers which are made for cloth and leather. They seem to work really well as they are just magic markers filled with paint and you can easily control them so that you stay within the stencil .

Micawber

Alternatively a stencil brush or sponge, cloth pad [cotton wool wrapped in a bit of lint free cloth] dabbed works well too ensuring not to load too much paint on the brush etc and to dab it off on a bit of scrap first. Ensure the item to are stencilling is kept taught and stencils kept in position.

B-Man2

Alternatively a stencil brush or sponge, cloth pad [cotton wool wrapped in a bit of lint free cloth] dabbed works well too ensuring not to load too much paint on the brush etc and to dab it off on a bit of scrap first. Ensure the item to are stencilling is kept taught and stencils kept in position.
Thanks Steve … good to know .

Micawber

Stencil brushes. Image 'borrowed' off the net.

sten16_add_1.jpg

Dany McDonald

Try the dry brush technique, you will almost get the same control as with pen but you get to choose the type of paint.
Personally I prefer oil as it will not dry too fast so you have more time to work, etc. And has a vtg look and feel once dry.

All good ideas in this thread, I love the Steve stencil brushes.

HTH,

D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts