WWII Russian Flight jackets

Discussion in 'Foreign Flight Jackets' started by bazelot, Jul 5, 2008.

1. PADDY_M

PADDY_M Active Member

Just to make sure I have understood this correctly :)

The Orders of 1922 (that continued all the way through WW2 upto 1948) said...

1. Minister for Defence states a flight jacket should look a certain way and have certain features.
    Example: Jacket is black; Made from leather; Has X pockets...

2.Commanding Officer of each individual unit (squadron?)had the authority to choose what type of jacket he wanted his aircrew to wear (within the parameters/requirements stated by the Defence Minister).

So it sounds like there was "some" choice by commanding officers and so flight jackets might look slightly different from unit to unit?

By the way... did aircrew buy their own jacket or did the Commanding Officer put in a request to a particular local factory? Or did ALL come from Zetkin?

2. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Some of those jackets look very cool, particularly those with fur collars.
    Thanks for sharing.

Roughwear likes this.
  3. jerome35

jerome35 Member

The pilot with 2 orders of Red Banner with the Cat insignia on tail wore a Luftwaffe "Hartman" pattern jacket.

Indeed there was some "non regulation", individual made leather flight jacket, but it was not soviet standard production. The fashion was quite important too: famous picture of soviet pilot Gritsevetz in Mongolia in 1939 where he wore an A2 type jacket, clearly russian made.

All definition before 1936 were abolished about soviet flight Equipment: all pilots had to wear soviet made regulation flight gear. There was very few exceptions.

All people interested can refer to famous 3 volumes books of Kibovski & Tsyaplenkov, great value on this topic. Also some nice pictures of non regulation jackets and "trophy" ones in Stalin's eagles of Seidl. In a more small way some samples of my flight gear and uniforms in Histoire & Collection french books series.

4. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

OK, let's just cool down and be civil to each other. This thread can be locked if it gets out of hand. I don't want to do that be will if it it gets personal.

5. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

6. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Absolutely agree!!!

7. jerome35

jerome35 Member

Sorry John, won't interfer anymore on this topic as all I have to say has been said. I can't stand beeing taken like a fool while I verifyed all I've stated and everyone can do the same.

Regards

8. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

jerome35 wrote me "like a fool"??? - gentlemanly...I have nothing to say
    Only jerome35 write "truth" about Soviet Jacket ?!
    All questions about the Soviet jackets to - jerome35, he "knows" everything ?!
    jerome35 - on this forum is allowed to deny each and all, as well as to engage in trolling ?!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  9. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

jerome35 - Well, where your wonderful proof? :) "I verifyed all"?
    1. The jacket #1 is non regulation one - really? "ne ustanaya"- really?
    2. Where a truthful story about Soviet jackets? Applying other links and evidence?
    Or do you really think, that your empty accusations and support by your forum friend, that mean something?

10. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

is it me, or does anyone else have a hard time trying to figure out whats being said here? reads to me like guys having a conversation with silly putty .

ButteMT61 likes this.
  11. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Agree Victor. It will be locked soon if it continues in this way.

jerome35 and jack31916 like this.
  12. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

The thread is becoming meaningless and pointless now and the VLJ Code of Conduct is not being adhered to.

13. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

Roughwear and John - You about me? If me why? Explain? What is the problem - he to deny me, each and all, but tell - verifyed, this proof?? Every time he spoke - not true! He (jerome35) did not confirm words - and it trolling! If you want to remove me, remove all of what I wrote!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Thread reopened. If it gets tiresome it will be re locked.

15. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

I know nothing about WWII Russian flying jackets/coats but some of the patterns in this thread look lovely and far more interesting than the "standard" VVS flying jacket you see worn later by the Soviet MiG-15 pilots during the Korean War.

16. John Lever

John Lever Moderator

Aero have been making copies for some years now...They never cease to amaze me.

17. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

That's great John that somebody is going to the trouble of resurrecting these jackets. Have you got any pics of the Aero repros, or maybe Ken can post some? Be great to see them.

18. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Active Member

As luck would have it this is a subject Aero has learnt a lot about in the last few years
    It started when we were asked to replicate an original jacket used by a Soviet pilot during WW2 for a Russian Collector. He used this jacket to set up a website

http://www.aerosvod.com/aerosvod.com/Shop.aspx#!/АлСиб/p/53821810/category=0

The jacket in the pics is the first jacket, UK zipper , stock fitting, excuse the embroidery, that’s added in the USSR, nothing to do with Aero I don’t understand the embroidery as, this apart, the Russians are fussier than John Chapman about the detail being spot on. We now get hand made perfect replicas of the original 1940s zippers, must cost a fortune,
    Since them we've been making jackets for some seriously well connected Russians and in the process have acquired a huge library of pictures. Right now I can't work out how to load them but I'll give it some time later.
    Briefly,

Paddy is correct about some poetic licence being given to Unit Commaders pre 1949 re the specific jacket "issued".

Eastwood is correct in identifying the "spats" the jackets 1 to 4 were worn in as "issue". He is wrong that jacketNo 1 & No 2 in his four pictures have the same back. I'm suprised nobody noticed they are totally different lengths! I'll let that go but, "Should do better" I've got good pictures of front & back
    Incidentaly, jacket No1 and No2 were also worn during WW2

Jerome is wrong that jacket No 1 was never issued, I'll post pics to prove otherwise as soon as I work out how to on here.................or perhaps John Lever might do it for me? John?

I'll also post a load of pics with jackets, crew & planes including several of Yuri Gagarin in his flight jackets as soon as I've got a minute ot hour to work out how. Those with a better knowlege of Soviet Aircaft can date the pics...........again John, please feel free to maker a start:>)

BTW The Long Coat on page 1 is US made, not European, so is the one with the "suspect" collar tip insignia unless these coats were part of "Lease lend" I doubt if they were worn by Soviet pilots.
    Neither was made in Europe 100%

More later.........................

19. Ken at Aero Leather

20. Ken at Aero Leather

couldn't resist this................................