WWII Russian Flight jackets

Discussion in 'Foreign Flight Jackets' started by bazelot, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

In the old forum there was a forum about Russian flight jackets from WWII. Thre was a ton of valuable info that got lost. Anyone care to rebuilt the thread?

2. tamoko

tamoko Member

I sent these entire photos and gradually I found more.
    Plus very rare photos from Korean period Russian MIG Leather Jackets.
    I need to restore my server, after then i can share this and more other pictures. It is to much photos for photobucket upload.

3. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

Thanks!! Let us know when your server is back up. I just got 2 russian flight jacket. One of them I think is the lend lease long coat but it does not have any tags. I have pictures of the actual pilot wearing it during the war. He was a 2 person plane pilot (him and the rear gunner). According to the family that was a "bomber". Any idea what kind of plane that might have been? He flew a shitload of missions and then was shot down. He was hospitalized and could not fly a plane after that. I am going to drill the family alittle more to get more info on him. THe jacket is in awesome shape. I will post pics soon.

4. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

5. havocpaul

havocpaul Active Member

many Soviet WW2 airmen wore british Irvin jackets and trousers, a kind of lend-lease clothing! They also had Russian-made long leather coats more in the style of WW1 airmen. The supplies of British Irvins came about at the time the UK supplied them with Hurricanes. Many Allied aircraft were given to Russia including P39's (used very successfully), P-40's, B-25's, Spitfires and more.

6. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

Pictures of the actual pilot wearing the jacket itself. I will probably be selling this jacket soon as I do not have the space to keep it. I will post pics of the actual jacket itself later today. I think it is an american lend lease jacket. It is in amazing shape. Came from Russia only 2 weeks ago (my mother in law's present. She actually knows the daughter of the pilot (the one on the pics))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

8. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

Pictures of the coat.
    The leather is in excellent shape. It has a reddish tinge to it. A couple of buttons are missing I think (I later found them in the pocket)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. havocpaul

havocpaul Active Member

A great jacket, what size is it roughly? If you're selling any time let me know please, cheers, Paul

10. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

The same pilot also owned this jacket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This jacket is not in very good shape but the zipper is in awesome condition.

11. blackcat

blackcat Member

This is great stuff, any chance of a close up of the zipper on the second jacket ? also don't suppose their are any photos of the pilot wearing the second jacket ?

12. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

no pics of the pilot wearing the other jacket. I will try to get my mother in law to get more info and maybe more pics from the family.
    I will post pics of the zipper tonight.

13. tamoko

tamoko Member

14. bazelot

bazelot Active Member

?
    THe Coat loos exactly like the lend lease coats that were sent to russia. I do not think it is civilian. the A-2 cuffs also are telltale sign that the coat is not russian. This coat comes directly from the vet's family. According to them this is the coat he used when he was a pilot. I will ask my mother in law to try to ask them more questions and see if he had different coats during the war.

15. tamoko

tamoko Member

16. jerome35

jerome35 Member

Here are some original pictures for the soviet ww2 pilot overcoat, called "Platsch Raglan" in russian.

[​IMG]

With Pl3-M parachute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of time, blue airforce collar tabs wer sewn on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

If the USAAF issued these jackets /coats in WW@ there would not be a forum ?

Bip

18. jerome35

jerome35 Member

:?: :?: :?:

Sorry, can't understand this sentence...

19. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

20. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

How is that ! ,
    I knew what I meant but it did not read right ,my brain is ahead of my fingers ;)