• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What pants go with the A-2?

Smithy

Agreed. SOF is always worth a look if you are in the UK. Kay Canvas products rarely if ever get a mention on VLJ nand while I'm not a dresser-upper / re-enactor I do have some of their products which compare favourably to original items that have passed through my mitts over a lot of years.

Those Kay Canvas ones from SoF that I posted are just awesome Steve. I absolutely love them. I usually wear them with a flight jacket and service shoes or roughouts but I had to go to some do earlier this year and they went well with a Tattersall shirt and a tweed hacking jacket.

As I said I've already got two pairs but I'll be buying at least another pair as I wear them a lot.

John Luder

In the bone-chilling dusk closing another Ventura County day in December, it's a numbing 55f/12.8c.
Those are the enlisted man's (ranker's) button-fly pants from What Price Glory (based in Salinas, Cal). We call them "khakis" in the US, Edward Woodward, in Breaker Morant, pronounced it car-keys. They're 8.5 oz cotton. Made in Pakistan, but nice quality fabric and good stitching. They go in the washer (warm) and dryer (high). I take them out damp, and flatten them with a crease to finish drying.
Given the freezing temp, I'm wearing a US Army flannel shirt, M-1883, and thermal undershirt. Brrrrr.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 140

ES335

Personally, just 18oz and up denim. Not only w/an A-2 but any leather jacket, especially my GW A-1 or ELC Ostmann. Damn good combos IMO at this time of year on the Mid-Atlantic....

rob20uk

In the bone-chilling dusk closing another Ventura County day in December, it's a numbing 55f/12.8c.
Those are the enlisted man's (ranker's) button-fly pants from What Price Glory (based in Salinas, Cal). We call them "khakis" in the US, Edward Woodward, in Breaker Morant, pronounced it car-keys. They're 8.5 oz cotton. Made in Pakistan, but nice quality fabric and good stitching. They go in the washer (warm) and dryer (high). I take them out damp, and flatten them with a crease to finish drying.
Given the freezing temp, I'm wearing a US Army flannel shirt, M-1883, and thermal undershirt. Brrrrr.
Cheers.
They look fantastic. They don’t look overly high waist and they really go will with the jacket and shoes.

I usually wear 1944 Levis:

However, I will also wear, on top of some of the reproduction chino trousers mentioned, more modern chinos from O'Connells:

I will also wear my suit trousers, when I have my jacket hanging up, or grey flannel trousers.

For all, I make sure that they have a relatively "high waist" as that ensures there is a proper overlap between the hem of the jacket and the waist of the trouser.

Micawber

Cheers.

'Car-keys' IS the correct way to pronounce it old boy ;)

John Luder

'Car-keys' IS the correct way to pronounce it old boy ;)
I was just a callow whelp when I first saw the movie. The context was confusing. Some of you lot are still up in the air on cotton and woolen fabrics. Tan colo(u)red cotton twill is known as khaki drill in the UK, but the dark, course, wool battle uniforms of the WWII Tommys is called khaki. And, of course, the Bostonians in the crowd refer to car keys as khakis. Separated by a common language, in fact, and indeed.

John Luder

Definitely like the Thunderbirds patch.
I painted that 30 years ago when I had steady hands and two eyes. I just took a shot at Doolittle's WRIGHT patch for display at the museum, maybe re-creating The General's A-2. His name plate from MASH in Japan came out very nicely. BTW, Old age is not for sissies.

Micawber

I painted that 30 years ago when I had steady hands and two eyes. I just took a shot at Doolittle's WRIGHT patch for display at the museum, maybe re-creating The General's A-2. His name plate from MASH in Japan came out very nicely. BTW, Old age is not for sissies.

Old age - and illness - is certainly not for sissies.

herk115

I don't wear Chinos. I just think they don't have the "look." If it's just for casual wear, I wear the A-2 over whatever I have on (usually jeans). But if it's for a quick selfie for a manufacturer or a relative or whatever, I usually don a pair of tan 511 tactical pants. Seems to work well.

Greg Gale

Just ordered a pair of OD officer pants from SOF, I already had their pinks and love them. Well, that's until the email arrived about customs. The pants were 30k HUF, and I had to pay 10k for customs. With Brexit and the most user-friendly taxation system of Hungary (27% VAT) it's a daylight robbery.

Pilot

Just ordered a pair of OD officer pants from SOF, I already had their pinks and love them. Well, that's until the email arrived about customs. The pants were 30k HUF, and I had to pay 10k for customs. With Brexit and the most user-friendly taxation system of Hungary (27% VAT) it's a daylight robbery.
Sorry about that.
Its still 7-10 points below France.
France needs to feed a lot of ….hmm.
That‘s one of the major reasons why a lot of business move out…

Last edited: