• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted Nice WW2 era US Pilots Watch - REPRO

simmo

Really love the look of the Aeromatic A1337. How do these rate for quality and reliabilty ?

dmar836

This is a pic Paul sent to me. Price shipped quoted was 45GBP or 48GBP overseas. Nice, simple look but.... I think I'll have to pass. If we are calling it an A-11, it's too large. And with the thin generic case, thin hands, etc. it's, well, too off the shelf for me. The dial looks photo printed.
I think the simpleness is most of the charm. This is only found in cheap dollar store watches but without the military effort. For the combo, it's a respectable offering.
A113-2.jpg

Again, for an A-11, it is a nice, clean, simple look but it's just not close enough for me compared to originals or other period watches for what we are trying to get. For those who own them already, you might consider spraying the dial face with flat clear and doll up the sweep hand with a red tip or something.
I'll post some pics of what can be found from the period that gives the look.
Dave

Dr H

That looks like the first Timex watch that I owned in the early 70s...
Would have been a similar price too...

CBI

Since I started this thread, thought I would post what I ended up with:

Aeromatic "Luftwaffe" style. I wanted something reliable and thin(ish) to wear under the A-2 knits.

I dyed and aged the band. Not 100% authentic by any means but close enough for what I was looking for and every inexpensive.

IMG_8115.jpg

dmar836

Very nice. Happy with it? I does have the look - especially with the band mod.
I recently had a dream where all the guys, pilots, whatever we were, were all milling about a dimly lit room wearing military watches with the 12,3,6,9s lit up in bright lume. Don't know what that was about but would not have even remembered it had you not posted this watch. Do I need some therapy?
Weird,
Dave

CBI

First - yes, you need therapy. Second, I LOVE the watch. Aeromatic is my favorite brand, very reliable and IMO, the best buy for the money. They are very inexpensive on eBay. I have seen them go for 3x/4x as much on "retail" online sites.