• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted Nice WW2 era US Pilots Watch - REPRO

Dr H

Enigmatic I call it... :ugeek:

Anything else lurking in that capacious bag though :?:

Irvin jacket, silk scarf, slightly used Spitfire... ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
Enigmatic I call it... :ugeek:

Anything else lurking in that capacious bag though :?:

Irvin jacket, silk scarf, slightly used Spitfire... ;)

Ah yes, enigmatic ...

No, nothing else in the bag, I'd just picked the watch up from the watch maker. Let me know if you're looking for a Spitfire, and I'll have a look around. ;)

Dr H

I usually take a MkIIB, but anything early (without clipped wings or a bubble canopy).. :D

Steve27752

CBI said:
Received an email back from Bellamy. He is still making them. Having second thoughts as so many folks seem to have had trouble with them. The old forum link to the RAF re enactors forum had lots of folks with watch trouble. May go with a more reliable option.

My Bellamy watch stopped after a couple of months. It went into the bin which was the best place for it!

Jaguar46

dmar836 said:
I have liked the Hamiltons for sure BUT I would have a very difficult time buying a Swiss watch from China or the near east.

I bought one of these Automatic Hamilton Khaki 42 mm size case from a vendor in Singapore through EBay. No problems. I think the Hamilton automatics with the ETA automatic movement are among the best valued automatic Swiss made watches today.

You can get these from Amazon for a good price. I like the 42 mm better than the identical looking 38 mm size.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H7055553 ... 011&sr=8-1

bobbyball

To be honest, I would look for a good condition original. I have had a few Bulova A-11 and these are great watches and have all the history. You can pick these up regularly on ebay and they are not much more (sometimes cheaper) than buying an inferior repro that will never be comparable to the original.

IMO the Bulova are the best of the bunch and are generally more reliable. The silver cased versions are desirable as they do not show the signs of wear as easily as the plated case versions.

Andrew

Yes to the above but;
- you won't hate yourself when you kill a repro if you break it or as I had happen had one washed in the pocket of a pair of trousers (still have trouble with that :( )
- wont cost you hundreds of dollars to have serviced correctly after constant use (done this twice).

Mr Bellamy's have been fine for me albeit not perfect.

Clark J

Like I suggested get that Hamilton(on Amazon or some place else)!!Has the look and nice and thin and will take a beating!!!Originals will never!

dadgad

Just got a nice Aeromatic A1337, retail price on their site on Amazon is around $150,00 but on ebay they go easily, new, for almost half that price.

Nice coherent vintage looking watch.

A1337-2.jpg

Andrew

Too many choices :!: Give us a review when you get it.

Seriously though, PB's are the closest yet to a real A-11 (I just hope mine keep working!)

CBI

Andrew - thanks and yes, I will probably buy one or two from Paul anyway as they are the repros I was inquiring about. They are inexpensive enough to where if they have issues, I won't mind it. The Aeromatic is a regular "commercial" brand so (in theory anyway) I should have no problems. I could buy 2 of Paul's and 1 of the Aeros and still spend less than some of the nice Hamilton's listed AND have some variety. I went through an original WW2 watch phase and always had trouble with watches breaking/not working even including some very "mint" items.

Thanks for your info. judging by all of the posts, we are all a little "crazy"!

TankBuster

I think there is just a strong connection between flight jacket addicts and watches! I'm definitely one of them!!! :lol:

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

oose

Hi all,
This link inspired me, I've needed a watch for so long now since my last one got stolen, so pick up this one a nice 1930's German pilot type watch for £22 needs some work, but hopefully I'll have a nice watch by the end of it. I'll get a strap from http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/strapdetails.html and a full service.

All the best
stu