• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions on Kelso to order?

Cobblers161

I reckon we need to cut BK some slack, they are trying hard in a competitive market with the most anal of customers(and I include myself). These guys are fledgling, a small operation and they want it right so have some patience. They have the harshest critics waiting for them out there. :) For the price its worth the wait which is what? A few months so far? I'm at 11 months for my GW so in comparison 3 or 4 for a BK is pretty good!

Give them some room, no-one busts Johns ass for being late and quite rightly so!

Meant in peace and not a dig!

Jeff M

Cobblers161 said:
I reckon we need to cut BK some slack, they are trying hard in a competitive market with the most anal of customers(and I include myself). These guys are fledgling, a small operation and they want it right so have some patience. They have the harshest critics waiting for them out there. :) For the price its worth the wait which is what? A few months so far? I'm at 11 months for my GW so in comparison 3 or 4 for a BK is pretty good!

Give them some room, no-one busts Johns ass for being late and quite rightly so!

Meant in peace and not a dig!

When ordering a GW or Aero you are forewarned there is a wait of many months...their estimates being fairly accurate. +/- 10% of the original estimate in my experience.
When ordering a BK folks are given a shipping date of 2-3 weeks after the order is placed...are irritated when it takes 3 to 4 times that long to receive their jackets. And this is after going out of the way to confirm with BK that they currently have all the material on hand to produce the jacket.

Better to tell customers to expect delivery in 2 to 3 months and surprise them with an early arrival than have them expecting delivery in a few weeks and get them wondering what is happening when nothing arrives after a few months.
Basic customer relations.

Cobblers161

New kids on the block trying hard to satisfy, maybe they just truthfully couldn't forsee the hold up, most of which have been explained.

Put yourself in their shoes, its not an easy business but here's hoping you'll actually like the goods.

Wrong on GW though, told 3 months been waiting 11. So how does that factor in? I'm not saying its not worth it as experience tells me it is however I also believe waiting 3-4 months on BK is not going to be the end of the world.

Jeff M

Cobblers161 said:
New kids on the block trying hard to satisfy, maybe they just truthfully couldn't forsee the hold up, most of which have been explained.

Put yourself in their shoes, its not an easy business but here's hoping you'll actually like the goods.

Wrong on GW though, told 3 months been waiting 11. So how does that factor in? I'm not saying its not worth it as experience tells me it is however I also believe waiting 3-4 months on BK is not going to be the end of the world.

No, it's "not the end of the world", but it is something that, empathize with them or not, some folks get irritated about...and something that it should be possible to avoid.
There is a thread currently over at the Fedora Lounge started recently by somebody asking about other peoples experiences with BK's "customer service"...they were given a 2-3 week delivery estimate that has dragged on, and are talking about canceling their order.
Not good for business.

I've been in BK's shoes.
Small business building up... new products/services. Balancing the problems of expansion/supply chain/ management issues vs. product delivery promises.
Found out early on it is better to estimate lengthy delivery date and deliver faster than to promise fast and have to explain delays.

Double check with John.
I've had 3 GW orders over the past few years...each has been delivered close to or on the original estimate.
Have another one I placed 10 months ago (told to expect it in 8-10 months) that I expect will be arriving within the next month.

Cobblers161

Agree maybe they should have a been a little more realistic with their initial promises although I still think as a fledgling Co., and a jacket one at that, we should give them a little slack. Easy for me to say as I haven't offered the readies yet, but I will.

As for JC, mine was placed in Oct last year and to the best of my knowledge he has been dealing with them in order. So when was yours placed? January?

I'm 6 GW's in so I know the wait can be lengthy but worthwhile. Very worthwhile.

Jeff M

Cobblers161 said:
Agree maybe they should have a been a little more realistic with their initial promises although I still think as a fledgling Co., and a jacket one at that, we should give them a little slack. Easy for me to say as I haven't offered the readies yet, but I will.

As for JC, mine was placed in Oct last year and to the best of my knowledge he has been dealing with them in order. So when was yours placed? January?

I'm 6 GW's in so I know the wait can be lengthy but worthwhile. Very worthwhile.

November.

ButteMT61

Nobody here will complain of the length of a wait (knowing what it is) it's no follow ups via email or phone; numerous reasons why there's delays, etc. I've said before and PLATON disagreed with me when I stated that I felt they bit off too much to start with. I stand by that. They've tried to offer too many things instead of delivering a small number on time and done right. I've not owned a business in 20 years, but I recall it's hard. We began with a small number of items that we could deliver, on time. It's critical to communicate, and I think from what I've read here, that that is the real issue.
Patience after the Aero USA debacle is a luxury most can't afford.

Jeff M

Cobblers161 said:
... we should give them a little slack.....

You and I can. (I did).
Others may not...and that affects business.
Not trying to make this a "what is right" issue....just pointing out the hard realities of doing business.

ButteMT61 said:
... I've said before and PLATON disagreed with me when I stated that I felt they bit off too much to start with. I stand by that. ...
Patience after the Aero USA debacle is a luxury most can't afford.

I've had the same thoughts myself.
I couldn't help but wonder how wise it was for BK to advertise things like expanding their business to include copying any leather jacket design, and introducing new jacket contracts to their existing line while at the same time posting that they were having problems with suppliers, didn't have materials needed, and people were posting about delays in receiving orders,

I really want BK to be successful.....and hope they don't bite off more than they can chew.

And yes, whispers of the AERO USA episode constantly murmur in the background.

A

Anonymous

When ordering a GW or Aero you are forewarned there is a wait of many months...their estimates being fairly accurate. +/- 10% of the original estimate in my experience.
When ordering a BK folks are given a shipping date of 2-3 weeks after the order is placed...are irritated when it takes 3 to 4 times that long to receive their jackets. And this is after going out of the way to confirm with BK that they currently have all the material on hand to produce the jacket.

Better to tell customers to expect delivery in 2 to 3 months and surprise them with an early arrival than have them expecting delivery in a few weeks and get them wondering what is happening when nothing arrives after a few months.
Basic customer relations.

Guys I appreciate your comments and worries.

When told 2-3 weeks, did not lie. It was the time required as scheduled. The schedule changed due to factors beyong our control.

When you order from GW and you hear that there is 11 months of waiting you think that there are 500 other people in line before you and that's why the long wait is for. Well maybe that's not exactly the case. A vendor maybe giving long delivery in order to have enough time to get all the materials in hand. Did you know that in order to get new leathers the waiting is minimum 2 months? To get repro zips from Japan 3 to 4 weeks? Forget about the knits.

The 2-3 weeks wait is a general guidance. And BK has honored this delivery time many many times.
Also in the BK website in the terms of sale it says that waiting can be much longer.

The problem is that you cannot apply the same waiting to all the products.
If you order Raiders jacket now, you can have it in 1 week. (grainy lamb, not striated, the striated is expected week 41)
If you order M422 jacket now you can have it in 1 week.
If you order any A-2 now in russet color you can have it in 1 week.

The delay is because the seal and dark seal brown leather samples did not come out as good as expected and the whole procedure had to start again. Sampling, approval, purchase order, delivery...

I am sorry for the waiting, I know it kills the business (the irony is that somehow everybody is ordering the jacket we are missing some material to make)

What I said about Jerome was not meant to be ironic.

Hobbstc

Shipped! Unfortunately ill be out of town flying for the next two weeks so I won't see it till the 8th. I'm going to get the wife to send me some pics I guess.