• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Favorite Flight Jacket, That You Actually Wore For Flying.

Pa12

As a lot of the longer term members on here know, the SE (along with the Spit) is my favourite aircraft so you go to the top of the class because of that.

Nice touch with the Triplex goggles too, and although the A-2 is lovely, you should maybe change it up for a Robinson and Cleaver 1917 Pattern Sidcot or a Burberry/Gamages/Dunhill/etc flying coat ;)
I actually sold the Se5a in September. Had it for 4 years. It was a fun experience but a bit of a novelty aircraft. I guess the novelty wore off. Can’t take anyone up, slow, takes 90 percent power to hold 80 mph. And it glides like a manhole cover.

Sideslip

GW m422, Autumn 2021 at Old Warden with my son in the Luscombe Silvaire 8E
000A6853-8BAD-4943-BE69-810048FE2FA6.jpeg

C63D6A84-E1BF-4BDD-8CB3-44D992818AEF.jpeg
7AB8E0F4-7591-4B68-8A3F-41260741CAAC.jpeg

B-Man2

This is my least favourite jacket. 1990, just finished restoring the Stinson L-5. Didn’t know anyone else made an A-2 other then Avirex at the time. Still have the jacket but haven’t worn it in at least 25 years. Sure looks cheesy now.View attachment 75429
The photo looks pretty nice. The jacket was a popular item, as there weren’t a lot of high end repro makers at that time. If you still own it wear it and keep it for the memories it helped to make .

Pa12

The fit etc was actually pretty good. They must have updated the sizing as this is a 44 and still fits perfectly. I have to go to a 46 in the high end jackets. I think it looks cheesy because of the cowhide. I didn’t know at the time that the originals were horsehide.

B-Man2

Yep … for years the conversations here were whether WWII A2’s were strictly HH or were some made from cowhide by a few unscrupulous manufacturers who substituted cowhide for HH. The opinions on the subject were numerous and intense. It wasn’t until Gary Eastman DNA tested a few of his original A2’s that it was discovered that not only was cowhide used in several contracts, but the use of cowhide was far more prevalent than first thought . On a side note I found an old Avirex HH A2 that was a limited production run from about 1978 and grabbed it. I love it and it’s a great jacket as a historical commercially produced A2.
89C52B78-72EC-486E-B0D7-402F79367A0C.jpeg
B0FEA223-8989-4D45-9A6E-2C9EDFE5613C.jpeg

Smithy

I actually sold the Se5a in September. Had it for 4 years. It was a fun experience but a bit of a novelty aircraft. I guess the novelty wore off. Can’t take anyone up, slow, takes 90 percent power to hold 80 mph. And it glides like a manhole cover.

Next time you need a full size one and with a Wollesley Viper or 8Bc or 8Be Hispano-Suiza ;)

Looks like a lot of fun though!

Maybe you should go for a Biff - room for one more.

ButteMT61

Yep … for years the conversations here were whether WWII A2’s were strictly HH or were some made from cowhide by a few unscrupulous manufacturers who substituted cowhide for HH. The opinions on the subject were numerous and intense. It wasn’t until Gary Eastman DNA tested a few of his original A2’s that it was discovered that not only was cowhide used in several contracts, but the use of cowhide was far more prevalent than first thought . On a side note I found an old Avirex HH A2 that was a limited production run from about 1978 and grabbed it. I love it and it’s a great jacket as a historical commercially produced A2.
That's exactly the same Avirex that I found for my son years back. NOS HH from 1978. It was an amazing jacket, but he outgrew it! Wish I could find one my size!

Here's me in my G-1. Took me a long time to get it, but I wear it sparingly to keep it in good shape.

G-1.png

Pa12

Nice. Looks a lot my first Avirex in 1985. I thought it was a beautiful jacket. On my first trip to Dayton I thought mine looked spot on. It was also very soft , almost like goat. Unfortunately it was a 42 and a bit snug. The jacket in the picture was the replacement but paled in comparison. If that first one fit I’d probably still be wearing it.
Next time you need a full size one and with a Wollesley Viper or 8Bc or 8Be Hispano-Suiza ;)

Looks like a lot of fun though!

Maybe you should go for a Biff - room for one more.
way out of my price range. I have a buddy with a hatz classic. Been hounding him to sell it to me. He’s still on the fence. Can still get the open cockpit biplane experience and take a passenger. It’s also more modern and substantial. Fly’s more like a modern airplane. By modern I mean 1940’s and newer.

Smithy

way out of my price range. I have a buddy with a hatz classic. Been hounding him to sell it to me. He’s still on the fence. Can still get the open cockpit biplane experience and take a passenger. It’s also more modern and substantial. Fly’s more like a modern airplane. By modern I mean 1940’s and newer.

Sorry it was meant as a joke really. Goodness knows how much The Vintage Aviator would charge for a Biff! But it'd be up there, as in Spitfire money I would imagine.

Pa12

The place in New Zealand was selling one of theirs a few months ago. 250000us. Quite a bit cheaper then a spit. There’s a local guy here who built a 7/8 scale spit with a v6 car engine. Absolutely stunning. He’s been trying to sell it for 3 or 4 years now. I think he was asking 260000. Less then a quarter of the price of a full scale but still 200000 out of my price range. A full size would be very expensive to operate too. I couldn’t afford the fuel and oil. That kind of hp is very thirsty.

Smithy

The place in New Zealand was selling one of theirs a few months ago. 250000us.

That's an absolute bargain. Sir PJ must have needed the cash.

I've a soft spot for the Biff as my great-granddad's first cousin flew them with 62 Sqn in 1918.

Pa12

That’s cool. The Se5a was known to be the easiest of the ww1 fighters to fly. Problem with a fighter is there’s only one seat. So no checkout. Just climb in and figure it out. Big pucker factor. Pulled that seat cushion out of my arse more then once in the beginning. So the guys flying camels, dr-1’s etc, we’ll my hats off to them. Must have had balls as big as church bells

Smithy

That’s cool. The Se5a was known to be the easiest of the ww1 fighters to fly. Problem with a fighter is there’s only one seat. So no checkout. Just climb in and figure it out. Big pucker factor. Pulled that seat cushion out of my arse more then once in the beginning. So the guys flying camels, dr-1’s etc, we’ll my hats off to them. Must have had balls as big as church bells

Off topic but if you haven't seen this I think you'll love it. Even better in person in Canberra.

(The dogfight from around 07:00 is amazing)