• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Favorite Flight Jacket, That You Actually Wore For Flying.

B-Man2

So .. I’m sitting home with a little too much free time on my hands , reading VLJ and a novel thought popped into my head. We have such a wide range of people on this forum from various backgrounds, many of whom were pilots, or are pilots, or who travel extensively on commercial aircraft as passengers or who flew in the military. Since most us have flight jackets, how about posting a photo or two of your favorite flight jacket …… that you actually used for flying! For example a number of years ago, during a different phase of my life, I used to fly as an observer aboard single engine and dual engine aircraft. I wore what I still consider to be one the best commercially available jackets I ever owned and used as a flight jacket . An LL Bean, Shearling lined G-1 style jacket. It wasn’t a military jacket but it checked all the blocks for what I needed . Great for those chilly cockpits at altitude. I’ll post a few photos below. Just so we’re clear on this … you don’t need to be a pilot, post any jacket that you owned or currently own that is your favorite jacket for flying, even if it’s on a commercial aircraft. Another quick anecdote, a number of years ago while flying to Colorado aboard a commercial aircraft, I quickly learned that the ELC B-3 I had brought with me, was an absolute pain in the ass to deal with. Carrying the big size 46 bulky jacket through heated airports, during lay overs was a burden. I couldn’t wear it on the flight because it was just too damn hot, so I carefully folded it and placed it in the overhead bin, only to have some putts shove his suitcase into the already filled overhead crushing the B-3 and leaving a few scratches on the shoulder and sleeve of the jacket. That was the first and last time I ever took a B-3 or an Irvin on a commercial flight . Ok … so to recap. Show us your favorite flight jacket that you actually used or would use for flying, as a pilot or as a passenger. It doesn’t have to be an A2 or a military jacket, just one that you like and would use while flying in lieu of any of your other jackets …… Thanks for taking time to read this and for your participation.
Cheers

LL Bean Shearling and Goatskin Flight Jacket that I still own and is my favorite jacket that I actually used for flying .
A2113A56-A5BC-47A2-B8E2-EB367376A986.jpeg
AC2056D2-867C-43D1-A3F8-1EDB4E8B28B4.jpeg
28978074-FF21-4D9B-AF92-76513A7B908D.jpeg
A66C96DB-0F10-4B3A-A52B-78D70366D5DA.jpeg

Flightengineer

I flew in a uniform shirt and earlier for some time in overalls, however, on technical flights, when the airline's requirements were more loyal, I flew in my Esatman A-2 Star Sportswear. So it's really flight jacket.

Ilyushin Il-76

Old friend Tupolev Tu-154

AVI A-2 Bronco /Cessna-152 one time for fun flight

Brettafett

Dmitry, I must say... the top pic... looks like a bachelor's cockpit, looks like all your laundry stuffed into the windows lol
But you sure do look classy with your A-2s in a cockpit. The Cessna one is my fav!
Edit: And I love that you are sat there with a smile, staring into rain and grey bleakness. Not a care, as long as you're in a cockpit. Epic.

Brettafett

Thought I'd share a funny (to me) story about an Archer. Was my first flying lesson/ sightseeing trip. Had the girl in the back seat (we were on holiday and this was my present)...
Anyway, flew around, up and down the garden Route, it was grey and bumpy. Very bumpy... I was excited and super-focused on what the instructor was telling me... meanwhile, the lass was getting sick in the back.
I gained an hour of flying time from the experience, she gained a bag of yuck and a foul mood that lasted days.

B-Man2

Thought I'd share a funny (to me) story about an Archer. Was my first flying lesson/ sightseeing trip. Had the girl in the back seat (we were on holiday and this was my present)...
Anyway, flew around, up and down the garden Route, it was grey and bumpy. Very bumpy... I was excited and super-focused on what the instructor was telling me... meanwhile, the lass was getting sick in the back.
I gained an hour of flying time from the experience, she gained a bag of yuck and a foul mood that lasted days.
So…. Is the girlfriend long gone or did the experience bloom into something bigger? ;)

Flightengineer

Dmitry, I must say... the top pic... looks like a bachelor's cockpit, looks like all your laundry stuffed into the windows lol
But you sure do look classy with your A-2s in a cockpit. The Cessna one is my fav!
Edit: And I love that you are sat there with a smile, staring into rain and grey bleakness. Not a care, as long as you're in a cockpit. Epic.

Ha ha ...at 76, the most spacious cockpit is like a bachelor's apartment, you can live there, the flight engineer generally rides in his chair around the cockpit on the rail ... yes ... curtains can be funny but very effective. Everything is subject to convenience there, this is a plane on which we sometimes hung in the air for 8-9 hours, and if the sun shines on your cheek all this time, this is not very pleasant. This is a Big Ship.
Of course these pics were taken on the ground after engines shut off and taxiing and the light was against camera so it side windows were closed too.
BTW, on my other big plane 204 first gen there were no curtains at all, they appeared only later when the crews began to grumble.
Cessna...yes, a small bird that feels the currents of air and where you fully feel the primordial feeling of flight. Not job but pleasure.

Lorenzo_l

I flew in a uniform shirt and earlier for some time in overalls, however, on technical flights, when the airline's requirements were more loyal, I flew in my Esatman A-2 Star Sportswear. So it's really flight jacket.

Ilyushin Il-76

Old friend Tupolev Tu-154

AVI A-2 Bronco /Cessna-152 one time for fun flight

The pictures in the cockpit of that Tu-154 and with that Star Sportswear on, awesome!

Lorenzo_l

Great photos Lorenzol !
Thanks for your participation .
Much obliged, Burt, and thanks for starting this thread!

And while I am at it, my favourite picture from the Devon flying club days, from a trip to the Normandy landing beaches direct from Exeter. Three aeroplanes flying together. This is my favourite picture from those days, flying right over the landing beaches.

IMG_1167.JPG

Last edited: