• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selvedge Jeans How Many Pairs do you own ?

blackrat2

They are good denim but there sizing is not the best for sure
My 46 is probably a 44 in reality
All said and done I think LVC have rested on the laurels and a lot of other makers have pushed on

Bombing IP

"All said and done I think LVC have rested on the laurels and a lot of other makers have pushed on"

Yes I agree if you were to give the LVC to hardworking miners or ranchers they would be screaming bloody murder after a week . There is no way that the Levis were that bad back in the day , Levis LVC today are about cut and details for the most part .There should be a warning label on them do nothing strenuous while wearing them never work in them . I have felt other companies offerings far superior comes to mind in all respects . Resting on their Laurels your being too kind blackrat .

BIP

Last edited:

jdgloverjr

I got all my jeans out last night and counted 10 pairs of selvedge Jeans all made in America .
Which ones do you favor and are your go to ?
3 pair of Brave Star
2 pair of Raleigh
1 pair of Noble
3 Pair of Levi
I pair of RL polo (china)

What I look for in jeans is a tall rise ,good quality pockets ,weight heavier than 12 oz ,USA made .

What do you like

BIP
I have zero pairs, I never cared at all for the stiff fit jeans, even in regular denim styles. I've also, for the last several years, always needed a looser fit in jeans to be comfortable, so the stiff, straight cut selvedge denim has never been a realistic choice for me. But to each his own :)

Bombing IP

I have zero pairs, I never cared at all for the stiff fit jeans, even in regular denim styles. I've also, for the last several years, always needed a looser fit in jeans to be comfortable, so the stiff, straight cut selvedge denim has never been a realistic choice for me. But to each his own :)

So your statement tells me that you know nothing about selvage jeans ,if you care to do a little research your preconceived ideas on selvedge are quite wrong ! . ;)

BIP

Grant

I think the "stiff" fit you're referring to is the starch-like substance added when the denim mill is weaving the fabric. The stiffness helps create the sharp creases in raw jeans when you move or sit. The more you work and live in the denim the stiffness gradually disappears as the jeans conform to how you move. Here's a pair of LVC Valencia 555 201x jeans that started out stiff as a board. They've softened up nicely and the creases and fades are just started to show. They've been worn a ton and only soaked once and washed once.

501.jpg

B-Man2

I think the "stiff" fit you're referring to is the starch-like substance added when the denim mill is weaving the fabric. The stiffness helps create the sharp creases in raw jeans when you move or sit. The more you work and live in the denim the stiffness gradually disappears as the jeans conform to how you move. Here's a pair of LVC Valencia 555 201x jeans that started out stiff as a board. They've softened up nicely and the creases and fades are just started to show. They've been worn a ton and only soaked once and washed once.

View attachment 53345
Those look friggin bad to the bone . You guys have got me hooked on Selvedge Denim now . More stuff to buy and collect now .
“Dammit !! Just when I thought I was out ....... they pull me back in” ;)

B-Man2

Guys
This is something that as a new convert to the denim head gang I have been wondering about. It’s going to be a “Newby Question” so a little patience is required if it’s a dumb question . But ... I read that you only wash these jeans on a very limited basis “VERY LIMITED” . Well I have to ask that while I don’t have body oder or a perspiration problem , I do live in Florida where the temps are above normal, you do perspire down here a lot especially in the summer months . So how am I supposed to refrain from washing these or only wash them on an occasional basis . ?

Bombing IP

Bert there are stupid questions I am just learning about this selvedge thing .Re the washing the reason for not washing the jeans is so they can mold to your body and achieve the whiskers effect on the front . Myself when my jeans are dirty I wash them cold water soak mild detergent hang dry all this done inside out . I see other people on forums wearing them with out washes for a couple of years that what they do not what I do .

BIP

Grant

Hahaha, it's a great question! Everyone has the way their of it but here's my 2 cents:

Only wash denim when absolutely necessary depending how dirty they get or smell.
Turn the jeans inside out to avoid indigo loss.
Fill a bath tub or kitchen sink with cold water (never warm or hot)
Use just a little mild natural soap like Dr Bronners or Wool Lite dark (remember back in the day they didn't have super strong detergents like we use today)
Let the jeans soak in the soapy water swishing them around as needed.
Drain and rise a couple times as needed.
Hang to dry and never throw them in a dryer!
If you're too lazy to hand wash, use the gentle cycle on washing machine.

Here's a nerdy video showing how some do it.

https://denimhunters.com/denim-wiki/how-to-hand-wash/

B-Man2

Thanks guys ..... Appreciated both of your responses . Breaking ground into a new area but here’s the funny part . I probably wore Selvedge denim as a child back in the early 1950s and NEVER HAD A CLUE ! They were just blue jeans . They were heavy course and took a bunch of trips to the wringer type washing machine we had to get them soft and I never thought much about them . I even remember that my mom paid $3.52 a pair for them . And here I am back wearing them today . Wow!

jdgloverjr

So your statement tells me that you know nothing about selvage jeans ,if you care to do a little research your preconceived ideas on selvedge are quite wrong ! . ;)

BIP
I’ll admit I do know nothing about them except what I’ve read here.

But even so, I don’t feel selvedge is the right fit for me. I’m not a huge wearer of jeans, I mostly favor 5.11’s, Tru-Spec, or Propper tactical pants for daily wear. Growing in the 60’s I did wear jeans almost every day. Mostly Sears Toughskins and whatever the base PX had on sale. Don’t think Sears ever made a selvedge Toughedge Jean.

Last edited:

Grant

I totally get most people could care less about selvage denim .

BTW, Sears actually had a great work wear brand called Hercules that made amazing denim and also civilian leather jackets from the 40's through the 60's. Hercules used selvage denim in overalls, dungarees, chore jackets and work shirts. Back in the day, selvage fabric was much more readily available than it is today.

Bombing IP

Yes most people do not know what Selvedge is and would not care if they did know . I like to have selvedge jeans and buy them on eBay between $50 -$80 but I would not pay $300 for them .Sears used to have good tools also now there made in China with no lifetime warranty like the original USA ones .

BIP

jdgloverjr

Yes most people do not know what Selvedge is and would not care if they did know . I like to have selvedge jeans and buy them on eBay between $50 -$80 but I would not pay $300 for them .Sears used to have good tools also now there made in China with no lifetime warranty like the original USA ones .

BIP
Craftsman tools were fantastic values. My uncle had an entire shop of nothing but Craftsman, both hand and power tools. Sadly though, Sears is basically no more, there just a shell of what they used to be, if you can even find a store anymore. Most all Sears have closed their doors here in the Chicago area. I think though that Stanley tools bought the Craftsman line, but not sure if they still provide the lifetime warranty.

blackrat2

There was an interview I saw on some site or other of the head of Levis...he puts them in the freezer when they start to smell funky
I do cold wash in the sink as described by the others on earlier posts

B-Man2

This is all new to me . Kind of like breaking the code, to how a woman thinks. ( sorry nat :oops:) For my entire life I’ve just thrown my jeans in a washer . Set the water temp to hot wash , and then threw them in the dryer when done . Of course I only paid about $25.00 a pair for them, so it wasn’t the end of the world if they got messed up . I guess I would have been a little more attentive and learned a bit more about this topic if I was dropping $250. 00 a pair for them .

bn1966

Recent acquisition of a new pair of Pike Bros selvedge jeans to replace my ‘blown’ pair. Stood up on their own at first, wore them a bit to break in & then gave them one gentle machine cold wash to relax them slightly. Rather muddy in the UK at present & the dog insists on her walk, Jean cuffs get a tad dirty, so I just hand wash the cuffs in the bath when the Wife’s out, These will occasionally see a washing machine again but not often. Used the freezer trick on a jacket with wool knits this week, to ensure I killed off any potential moth issues before the jacket went into ‘general population’ in the wardrobe.