• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selvedge Jeans How Many Pairs do you own ?

Bombing IP

I got all my jeans out last night and counted 10 pairs of selvedge Jeans all made in America .
Which ones do you favor and are your go to ?
3 pair of Brave Star
2 pair of Raleigh
1 pair of Noble
3 Pair of Levi
I pair of RL polo (china)

What I look for in jeans is a tall rise ,good quality pockets ,weight heavier than 12 oz ,USA made .

What do you like

BIP

MikeyB-17

One pair of Edwins. That’s it. Although I appreciate selvedge denim, for some reason I don’t feel the urge to spend the fairly big money jeans like that come in at. I have more pairs of black Levi’s 501’s than you can shake a stick at.

Cocker

2 pairs of Pike Brothers, 1 pair of SJC Yard Boss and 1 pair of Lutece Quartermasters.

Love high rise such as on the SJC and Lutece, but the PB are very nice too, especially seen they have buttons for braces. I'm wearing a pair right now!

stanier

Had a clear out and sold a lot of stuff, for number of reasons though mainly getting my waist size under some sort of control and discovering that LVC is, IMHO, with the exception of LVC Japan and 555 and 554 stuff, largley and sadly poor quality. Now have:

1 x Lee Archive 48's
1 x Warehouse 50's
1 x Sugar Cane 47's with Arcs and red tab
Oh, and an LVC Japan Type II jacket

I do have a pair of 44 LVC that I wear around the house sometimes and a pair of LVC 47 somewhere that when I find 'em will likely be going in the bin, or used for washing the car. I got them cheap through my job and they've had one soak and two washes. Blown crotch and pocket bags shredded.

I'm toying with either Warehouse or Sugar Cane '46's and likely will be leaping on more Lee Archives 48's and 54's when they're remade. Not keen on the 52's as they feature the transition from selvedge to, well err, non-slevedge and that doesn't float my boat.

Bombing IP

One pair of Edwins. That’s it. Although I appreciate selvedge denim, for some reason I don’t feel the urge to spend the fairly big money jeans like that come in at. I have more pairs of black Levi’s 501’s than you can shake a stick at.

Mikey I hear you on the price of jeans ,I have never bought direct from maker .I got all mine from the forum here or from eBay ,if your patient you can get them for about $60 a pair in near new condition.That about 25% cost of retail ,Stanier re the Levi quality they are awful ,what happens to them does not happen with other makes . I hate the lousy hankerchief material they use for the pockets and the crotch blowouts .

bip

MikeyB-17

Mikey I hear you on the price of jeans ,I have never bought direct from maker .I got all mine from the forum here or from eBay ,if your patient you can get them for about $60 a pair in near new condition.

bip
That’s where (Ebay) my Edwins came from. I do look occasionally, I’d like some more decent quality jeans, but it’s not something I’m heavily into. Last time I looked, there wasn’t much about.

Bombing IP

That’s where (Ebay) my Edwins came from. I do look occasionally, I’d like some more decent quality jeans, but it’s not something I’m heavily into. Last time I looked, there wasn’t much about.

Mikey check into the sold section of eBay that way you can see if your missing anything ,also the completed section which did not sell sometimes I contact the seller and make an offer is another good way .There is more to the jean world than LVC so I started to research the micro makers and read the reviews on them .When these come up there is not much competition from other bidders because they do not know about them . I posted some lesser known makers on the related site topic .There are some very good quality makers out there who live and breathe this selvedge jean thing and want to be the best .

BIP

BIP

MikeyB-17

That's worth knowing. Not top of my priorities right now, but I'll remember that when I get another selvedge itch. Ta for that.

London Cabbie

2 pairs Gap Regular 1969 Selvedge Kaihara.
1 pair 14.5oz Gap Cinch back 1969 Selvedge Kaihara.
3 pairs Uniqlo Q Regular Selvedge Kaihara.
I never wash them, spray starch outside, steam spray iron inside-out to freshen. All the jeans I have are great, but you don’t know, what you don’t know. I’m new to Selvedge, when I know what I’m doing will invest in better denim...
image.jpg

Happy Hooligan

I'll have to count but probably 12 pairs or so of LVC, all USA, Some 555, and all Cone
A few pairs of Japanese, Bartack and Connors Sewing
10 pairs of my own DAE denim, but many were test pairs so I don't wear them.
but as of late I've just been wearing the Connors.

Bombing IP

2 pairs Gap Regular 1969 Selvedge Kaihara.
1 pair 14.5oz Gap Cinch back 1969 Selvedge Kaihara.
3 pairs Uniqlo Q Regular Selvedge Kaihara.
I never wash them, spray starch outside, steam spray iron inside-out to freshen. All the jeans I have are great, but you don’t know, what you don’t know. I’m new to Selvedge, when I know what I’m doing will invest in better denim...
View attachment 53131
Hey cabbie I am no expert myself . The holy grail for me were Levi LVC but they turned out to be a disappointment big time I have been reading a lot about primarily USA makers and have found it very interesting .Gap jeans make a good pair of selvedge but for me most are cut to low dreaded plumbers butt syndrome . Thanks for your input cabbie .

BIP

Bombing IP

I'll have to count but probably 12 pairs or so of LVC, all USA, Some 555, and all Cone
A few pairs of Japanese, Bartack and Connors Sewing
10 pairs of my own DAE denim, but many were test pairs so I don't wear them.
but as of late I've just been wearing the Connors.

DAE denim educate me ! . Well your count beats mine ,I will have to look into Bartack and Connors never heard of them . Thanks for your input interesting .

BIP

London Cabbie

Try the Uniqlo U Selvedge Regular they have a higher rise, same denim mill. However they are tapered at the bottom. Great with converse not with roughout type boots IMO.

Happy Hooligan

DAE denim educate me ! . Well your count beats mine ,I will have to look into Bartack and Connors never heard of them . Thanks for your input interesting .

BIP
DAE Denim is my own. I use to make jeans, but stopped. Bartack is long gone(late 90s) connors sewing factory is great. Check them out. Lots of US and Canada makers. It depends what style you’re looking for and if you want “Vintage Jeans” or just selvedge denim jeans.

stanier

It would be great if there was a US vintage denin maker in the league Goodwear for jackets or Role Club for engineer boots. It should be LVC but just isn't. The nearest is probobly(imo), Sugar Cane made in their US factory (I wonder where that is?) Or maybe Mr Freedom, but not sure whether their product is made in the US or not. If someone is aware of a maker I'm not please say. It seems difficult to believe that the US has just let denim heritage wither away opting for cheap mass produced foreign made throw away junk. Sorry to be emotional, but it's sad I think. I'm just glad the Japanese have picked up the ball most abley, even if they've ended up running off with it. Another oddity of history to me! Would love some csf denim, but a mare to find. Thank goodness for Lee Archives, Warehouse etc....

London Cabbie

It would be great if there was a US vintage denin maker in the league Goodwear for jackets or Role Club for engineer boots. It should be LVC but just isn't. The nearest is probobly(imo), Sugar Cane made in their US factory (I wonder where that is?) Or maybe Mr Freedom, but not sure whether their product is made in the US or not. If someone is aware of a maker I'm not please say. It seems difficult to believe that the US has just let denim heritage wither away opting for cheap mass produced foreign made throw away junk. Sorry to be emotional, but it's sad I think. I'm just glad the Japanese have picked up the ball most abley, even if they've ended up running off with it. Another oddity of history to me! Would love some csf denim, but a mare to find. Thank goodness for Lee Archives, Warehouse etc....
I’ve heard Lee Archives mentioned a bit. Just seen @Ken at Aero Leather has them. Are they the Archive ones...?

Happy Hooligan

there are many in the US and Canada in that league. If you're looking for Vintage recreation though most US jean makers do their own take on the classic 5 pocket or do modern cut jeans with vintage machines and Selvedge Denim. For true stitch-for-stitch of say a 30's or 40's pair of jeans though it has to go to the Japanese. Most US/Canada makers are small and can custom make anything you want. As long as they have a pair to go off of or a pattern. I think that is something you can't order direct from a Japanese maker.

stanier

Bombing IP

I was talking yesterday to my brother who lives in London about British companies and manufacturing .My self and my 2 brothers were appentices in Hawker Siddeley Aviation which became British Aerospace in the mid 80s . So much manufacturing in the UK has gone ,ships, aviation, elctronics ,fabrics manufacturing ,motorcycles ,military arms , its all gone Britain has lost more than 60% of its manufacturing ability in the last 30 years .Its happening here in the USA its a bigger country so its going to take a little longer . A question for people on both side of the pond do you notice politicians retiring very wealthy with multiple expensive home portfolios on jobs that do not pay that much . I wonder how that happens ?

BIP