• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mash Co A-2 decal

Jaguar46

cmk-2 said:
Guys, I have bought and applied the mash AAF decal. Works and looks the part. If you have ever built model aircraft then you know how to apply the decal. When I had John make my "Great Escape jacket in '08 he applied the decal. Their are pictures on the form of it. Just look for them been 2 years now of HARD wear and the decal has flaked a bit BUT that's what the originals do. If you want it right you have to go with a water transfer decal NOT painted. If you get it painted (and it does look good and I do own some of his art work) it not correct. Just know the tips and tricks of applying water type decals.

I am in the process of converting my Eastman Roughwear into a V. Hilts jacket. And have the Mash kit on order. Do you have pictures of your jacket? I have studied the movie images, and the one confusing thing about the jacket is regarding the epaulets. Does it have a Captain rank insignia? In the movie images I cannot see that it does.
Hilts14.jpg

Hilts33.jpg

Hilts30.jpg

cmk-2

He kept his capt. bars under his collar. You see it in the movie when he is correcting the camp kommandant. It looks to me as if the shoulder rank was removed. I'll get a picture tomorrow. PM me and I'll give you some Very helpful tips on the decal process.

Jaguar46

cmk-2 said:
He kept his capt. bars under his collar. You see it in the movie when he is correcting the camp kommandant. It looks to me as if the shoulder rank was removed. I'll get a picture tomorrow. PM me and I'll give you some Very helpful tips on the decal process.

OK, thanks. Yes, I am aware Hilts had a metal Capt insignia under his left collar, though I am unclear how he might have kept it attached, since in every other part of the movie you never see any pins or clamps. I have a feeling that you only see it under the collar when the script calls for it in the 2 select scenes, and it is not there during all other scenes.

Toys McCoy V. Hilts jacket has 2 painted CAPT insignias on the epaulets, though technically incorrect to be accurate and true to the movie jacket. The other inaccuracy in the Toys McCoy jacket is the stenciled military ID, in the lining of the jacket, which was not a detail of the movie jacket.

14-1.jpg

08-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

omarco

any tips for applying the decals would be much appreciated, i'm on the brink of ordering the kit form MASH

cmk-2

Well I can apply a decal better then an picture on here> I don't understand why only one phto comes up and then the rest are just links to a small photo.

Anyway, Tips : Use warm NOT hot water and NOT cold to dip the decal in, Make sure to use a bowl with the water level deep enough for the entire decal to be submerged as the decal might roll up on it's self when it first gets wet. use a few drops of Dawn dish water soap in the warm water. Leave the decal in the soapy water for 25 to 30 seconds not 15 like the instructions say. You will know when the decal is ready to apply when you feel the decal slipping around the paper backing DO NOT FORCE the decal wait until it slips off easily. Use another bowl of a stronger solution of Dawn/water and spread the very soapy water on to the Meyercord that you have applied to the jacket. The soapy water allows you to mover the decal a bit and then the soapy water will dry off and not effect the adhesion of the decal.
Most of all don't rush, the decal is thin and might break if you rush, the soap water will help the decal from breaking.

Jaguar46

cmk-2 said:
Okay lets see if I get any pictures up on here

You almost got it. Copy the Photobucket image code (AKA the IMG code) and paste it. (or apply the brackets and img manually)
100_3283.jpg

100_3277.jpg

100_3285.jpg

100_3282.jpg

100_3280.jpg

100_3278.jpg

100_3279.jpg

100_3284.jpg

Jaguar46

What do you have to do to the leather before applying the decal. My jacket has had a coating of Pecards, which has dried long ago, but I am afraid there may be a residue. I am considering prepping the spot with acetone (or something perhaps) to get the site dry and Pecards free.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
cmk-2 said:
Well I can apply a decal better then an picture on here> I don't understand why only one phto comes up and then the rest are just links to a small photo.

As Jaguar says, you need the IMG code for each picture ... place the cursor on the thumbnail to find it.
Some of yours have the thumbnail URL, rather than the full size picture.

cmk-2

Thanks for the help. Yes acetone should work just don't go crazy with it. Wow my jacket looks pretty good on the web..If I do say so myself:)

Jaguar46

cmk-2 said:
Thanks for the help. Yes acetone should work just don't go crazy with it. Wow my jacket looks pretty good on the web..If I do say so myself:)
Is this a Goodwear? If so the leather treatment and water treatment (I recognize the telltale zippertape curl), came out looking pretty nice. Did you have to do some "handwork" like scraping, sanding etc.

Jaguar46

The MASH kit came today. I followed the instructions, and applied the decal. The first decal split before I could get it positioned correctly, so on the second try, no problem.
P1030312Medium.jpg
P1030313Medium.jpg

cmk-2

Decal looks GREAT! Did you use the soapy water suggestion? No sanding of the jacket as we have rough walls at my work and some times I brush up against it only by accident :) After a few days apply more decal coating and then some more in a week or so.

omarco

Great job on the decal! i ordered the set a couple of days ago so if i decide to put it on my D1 i'll put up some pics. I wonder how long it takes for it to fade and wear?

Jaguar46

cmk-2 said:
Decal looks GREAT! Did you use the soapy water suggestion? No sanding of the jacket as we have rough walls at my work and some times I brush up against it only by accident :) After a few days apply more decal coating and then some more in a week or so.

Even though I had read your hints, I plum forgot them, I was engrossed in following the details of the little instruction booklet that came with the kit. I think if I had used soapy water like you said, I wouldn't have cracked the first decal, not sure. When I slipped the decal off the paper, it still had plenty of slippery surface to slide it some, to the spot where I wanted.

I might be a bit afraid to apply more decal coating, since I have applied the horse oil stuff after putting on the coating.

JWS4th

What is the history of the AAF decal on the shoulder? Looks like the majority of A-2 jackets did not have it. Was it applied by the contractor or done by depot supply. I know my dads jacket had the cloth AAF patch and 5th AF patch on the shoulders.