• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New GW Rough Wear 1401 P

Dr H

Cobblers161 said:
Down to way it's been worn, treated, mistreated, not the cut.

RW14010P1.jpg

RW27752fitOct09.jpg

Not to mention the haircut ;)
That's quite a change in style...

Cobblers161

Thanks Gents, the two pics are approx 12 months apart (maybe more). The seal 27752 is the one Paddy just sold, cracking jacket just too snug for me, that was in the days prior to my understanding of how an A-2 is supposed to fit.

Hair-wise, yeh the russet 1401-P shot is about 2 weeks before Fire Service College. I do miss my quiff! ;)

767fo

rotenhahn said:
Persy:
So in summary I believe you are saying that John Chapman is just a normal human being and not the "god" of all A2 repro jacket makers in that he can have an off day occasionally (seldom !!) and make a less than perfect jacket to the general to the pattern specification.

I had a bad feeling when someone mentioned "clown collar"! None of the photos in this whole thread show a real clown collar a la' 1990's Eastman or many a current RMNZ. The clown collar is high- 3 1/4" sometimes and it circles around the neck in a distinctive cone. It looks kinda like an original Roughwear but is not actually. John Chapman IS currently the "god" of all repro jacket makers- his pattern is correct when compared to originals. I can guarantee you that a stitch by stitch comparison or a mm by mm comparison of any current Goodwear Roughwear comp[ared to an original will bear this out. Not opinion- fact. He also get all the other things no other company gets close to- seam allowances, the little leather tabs and other "secret' details that add up to the jacket looking original. If one photo on one forum thread doesn't look right it is because of the model (most of us seem to be old duffers) or photgraphy. The current Goodwear pattern is right on and the older ones are more accurate than competitor's jackets made today! I am a Roughwear maniac and can (later when I'm not at work) help illustrate this with photos...

I look forward to seeing your pics. Thanks

Marv

Quick question regarding the RW torso fit - is there any difference in the fit between the 1401-P and the 27752 contracts or are they pretty much the same eg. roomy, blousey, comfortable etc. as they have all been called.

Roughwear

If you are talking about originals then my size 44s from both contracts are very similar in size with the 27752 being slightly larger. But as there were variations within contracts I would need more original RW jackets to compare to say anything even remotely conclusive.