• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New GW Rough Wear 1401 P

saucerfiend

Recieved this from JC last week. This is the Rough Wear 1401 P contract. The hide is Japanese red russet HH. The zipper is a NOS M39 with a vintage WW2 rectangular Talon puller that John provided. The details of the contract are dead-on, {nothing new there}. Pics taken were right out of the box. This hide loosens up very quickly. And.... my new favorite!

Thanks,
Brian

P1010014-2.jpg

P1010011-4.jpg

P1010008-7.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010031.jpg

HHjackets

nice hide, nice colour, nice fit. if the roughwear collar is supposed to look like that then fine but (if you don't mind me saying so) i think it sits too wide all around the neck.

A

Anonymous

comparison1copy.jpg

Photo of an original RW- sometimes the collar looks this way after being squished flat. I'm 100% sure the pattern's right- it's just a foible of leather and storage...

better duck

great jacket, great fit, easy to understand this is your favourite - untill the next favourite comes into view (on the GW website, or on the forum....) ;)

Jaguar46

Nice pics. No mirrors. New tripod?

I think the neck sits wide because it is new and not loosened up yet. JMO.

saucerfiend

Jaguar46 said:
Nice pics. No mirrors. New tripod?

I think the neck sits wide because it is new and not loosened up yet. JMO.

The Roughwear contract does call for a slightly larger neckhole, But in this instance it is brand new and not broken in that makes it appear that way.
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

Brian

derleicaman

Hi Brian

I have virtually the same GW 1401-P that I picked up a few months back from a fellow forum member. I can echo all the good comments about this pattern and the current HH John is using. Mine came with a NOS Crown zip. This has quickly become one of my favorite GW jackets and is one of the most comfortable contracts I have. I love the smooth, supple feel of the leather which has a tremendous amount of character to it. It does feel a bit thicker than some of my other HH jackets, even though I'm sure it's the same weight. Can't decide if I like the collar snapped or not snapped better. The "clown collar" as some call it is just the nature of this beast and true to the original. Right now, I'm OK with it and all the other good things about it make up for it.

It looks great on you. Wear it in good health!

grommet

I think the collar is one of the most unique and attractive aspects of the Rough Wear line. The way it sort of flairs out when the zipper is part way down has a rakish quality.

herk115

grommet said:
I think the collar is one of the most unique and attractive aspects of the Rough Wear line. The way it sort of flairs out when the zipper is part way down has a rakish quality.

I have to agree. I've always liked the wider collar opening, though I find the higher collar a bit annoying (this from a guy who owns two ELC 1401's). All in all, though, great looking jacket! Congratulations!

Tim P

HHjackets said:
nice hide, nice colour, nice fit. if the roughwear collar is supposed to look like that then fine but (if you don't mind me saying so) i think it sits too wide all around the neck.

Rough wears should sit wide at the neck.
thats why I'll take a dubow or a monarch any day.

HHjackets

Tim P said:
HHjackets said:

Rough wears should sit wide at the neck.
thats why I'll take a dubow or a monarch any day.

not keen on monarch but dubow is the one for me and i will find me a dubow one day!
i still think this particular one sits 'too' wide though and it won't get any better with time i.e after being broken.

Roughwear

Very nice RW Brian. All the details are spot on and as to collar John has got it absolutely correct as the picture of my original 1401 shows. He is able to do this by working from original examples.

032.jpg

HHjackets

Roughwear said:
... as to collar John has got it absolutely correct ... He is able to do this by working from original examples.

exactly! that's where the problem lies ... with the original!

saucerfiend

HHjackets said:
Roughwear said:
... as to collar John has got it absolutely correct ... He is able to do this by working from original examples.

Thanks Andrew, for an expert collectors opinion. Yes, this collar IS absolutely perfect! Alot of guys wear their Roughwear collars flattened down and spread out. My neck is long and slender, making the neck hole appear bigger. This also allows me to wear my RoughWear and Werber collars all the way up. However, I'll probably flatten and spread them at some pint as I believe this IS the classic look, and they look fantastic when worn in this fashion. Hope this helps.

Brian

Roughwear

HHjackets said:
Roughwear said:

Is this really a problem? I like the original collar design and I guess you don't!

HHjackets

Roughwear said:
HHjackets said:
Roughwear said:

Is this really a problem? I like the original collar design and I guess you don't!

mention roughwear and 'clown collar' comes to mind! so yes i think it is a problem.
i gave my opinion, just because it's a goodwear roughwear jacket or an original roughwear jacket doesn't make a difference to me, and yes i don't like it hence my opinion!

Dr H

Like torso fit, the question of collar shape/fit is one of those that is really down to personal preference, isn't it?

I really like the look of the Perry contracts with neat, rounded collar tips. Having owned and worn regularly several examples of both contracts I have latterly come to realise that the collar stand doesn't work so well for me (I don't possess Brian's neck length so when zipped up the collar sits quite high). Moreover, the design is inherently asymmetrical as a result of the collar stand/latch arrangement and the apparent cut of the collar leading to the 'limp' that is often raised in connection with the 23377/42-18246-P (this is seen in both the originals and also deliberately in more recent Good Wear Perry jackets)

So, more reluctantly I've returned to the Doniger collar shape which is the opposite extreme, but very practical in use with a more open neck even when zipped having no collar stand. The Roughwear collar does split the vote in a similar fashion, it's not one for me, but a classic look nonetheless and reproduced exactly in this example.

saucerfiend

Thought I'd post this pic of my 1401 P from JC, before he sent it to me. I love this shot! I call it: "Perfection, from the masters workbench". I actually use this pic for my computers desktop image. Hope you enjoy!

Brian

RW1401P_44.jpg