• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inside Cockpit USA

Chandler

I told Jan earlier that I found it strange Carl only spent about a minute at the Cockpit. All seemed a little awkward, too.

CBI

my mom wanted a white silk scarf for X-Mas to go with her Eastman A-2!!! I thought Cockpit would be quick and easy. They wanted $27 to mail it!!!! NOPE. Getting a better one from the UK for $10 shipping

MikeyB-17

My mate’s boy has just bought a Doolittle Raiders Cockpit A-2. Apart from the dopey commemorative patch inside, it’s actually a really nice jacket. Nice leather, cotton lining, looks sharp. Far cry from the abominations they turned out years ago.

ZuZu

What did cockpit USA do to you guys lol? it seems like everyone hates cockpit and treats it really hard
Avirex, Jeff Clyman and the Cockpit basically ruined American repro production and the official USAF A-2 jacket. Starting out as a relatively decent repro company for its time in the 70s by the mid 90s they had expanded to make themselves into a huge joke (successful yes- but still a joke) producing blood chit underwear, lambskin mall jackets, cloth A-2s, made up jackets like the "G-2", in fact ANYTHING vaguely WW2ish EXCEPT a decent reproduction of an A-2 or G-1!
Their worst crime was the design for the new official issue A-2. They based it on their early 80s Avirex A-2 which sucked with crappy materials (fuzzy knits, polyester lining, bra strap throat clips etc.) and a piss poor design with ugly tear drop pocket flaps and 9 inch epaulets!
They suck canine choad- and when they're not they're thinking about doing so... IMO

Capt

Covid in 2019 robbed me of a visit to New York and a visit to The Cockpit store, intended to buy something that looked and fitted right.

Due to my shoulders & back ‘not obese’ the G1 by swing back is a better choice for me and when my mate was there last year, to save on postage and import duty he came back with there mil-spec G1. The jacket whilst not accurate to anything it is well made, good quality materials and got lucky on the fit, but what they got horribly wrong was the collar pile depth. The dark brown mouton shade I didn’t mind, but being a 48R they must have thought the mouton needed to increase as well. It’s in storage at present until next summer for my northwest UK summer collar aging experiment but the collar is wrong in every way.

B-Man2

Covid in 2019 robbed me of a visit to New York and a visit to The Cockpit store, intended to buy something that looked and fitted right.

Due to my shoulders & back ‘not obese’ the G1 by swing back is a better choice for me and when my mate was there last year, to save on postage and import duty he came back with there mil-spec G1. The jacket whilst not accurate to anything it is well made, good quality materials and got lucky on the fit, but what they got horribly wrong was the collar pile depth. The dark brown mouton shade I didn’t mind, but being a 48R they must have thought the mouton needed to increase as well. It’s in storage at present until next summer for my northwest UK summer collar aging experiment but the collar is wrong in every way.
If you don’t mind me asking .. what did you have to pay for the jacket?
Almost sure that you could have gotten a much more historically accurate jacket from AVI for a lot less money .

Capt

$600 I recall and totally agree with your point, only heard of AVI afterwards and then acquired which are better in every way.

I dropped the jacket hobby for quite a while and was surprised how many new ‘repro’ makers there are now.

B-Man2

$600 I recall and totally agree with your point, only heard of AVI afterwards and then acquired which are better in every way.

I dropped the jacket hobby for quite a while and was surprised how many new ‘repro’ makers there are now.
That’s always been one of the sore points with Cockpit/Avirex, they sell historically inaccurate jackets for inflated prices. If they made the effort to produce an accurate repro of a WWII or G-1 contract they could do it with very little effort, but they choose not to do that and to just sell their jackets to the masses who believe in their advertising.

jwamznalx

That’s always been one of the sore points with Cockpit/Avirex, they sell historically inaccurate jackets for inflated prices. If they made the effort to produce an accurate repro of a WWII or G-1 contract they could do it with very little effort, but they choose not to do that and to just sell their jackets to the masses who believe in their advertising.
When the first time I searched for the avirex I only find some colorful fashion jacket which probably young people like but has nothing to do with the "jacket" mentioned here. Looks like the "Avirex" brand/label is sold to another company and there is kind of new Cockpit USA based on their FAQs.

Does it make any difference now? Does this new "Cockpit USA" focus more on authentic jacket given that they sold the old "Avirex"?

Pa12

Bought my first cockpit a-2 in 85 or 86. Loved it. Super soft cowhide, russet. But it was just too small. Those were the days when we had good flight benefits, so I thought rather than going through the expense and ordeal of returns, I’ll just go and get one. When I got there, nil stock on my size. Tried on enough of them to figure out what I needed ,ordered it and flew home. When it arrived I was very disappointed. Cheesy seal coloured jacket. Still have it somewhere but haven’t worn it in decades.

OperationCoffee

My first G 1 was an Avirex too. Aside from the shitty patches ( as an aside I once spoke to the lady who designed them in the 80s ) the cut and sizing was way off. A medium was basically a 48. Last time I bought an original on eBay I paid a little less than 300. That Avirex sells for 500 now because it’s “vintage”. Funny how that works

Pa12

Here ya go chandler. Cowhide Avirex new in November 88. First time it’s seen the light of day since around 93 when I replaced it with a flightsuits horse. Doesn’t look as bad as I remember. Very squeaky ;)
IMG_5658.jpeg
IMG_5655.jpeg

CBI

some folks (companies) are more focused on 'authentic" copies while others "inspired" by and many in the middle. I don't think zapping the Cockpit for not being authentic makes sense as its not their focus. Agreed, they market that way. its a profit/money making operation. I'm not a fan but I really don't care about them one way or another. As posted above, I was going to buy one of their scarfs as a gift but passed due to high shipping costs. Remember, at one point, they were practically the only game in town for "repros" (using that word sparingly here) ................. and, the ONLY place where one could go to a physical store and try something on. Their NYC store was pretty cool to visit.