• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Functional A-2 fit vs break in questions

tater

I posted here because as I said, I didn't want to be a PITA to JC as I know there are others waiting, and as I said, I'm clueless. I might be the only GW customer in NM though. I'm not offended, but I'm a little touchy about the Perry because I desperately wanted it to feel OK on me, lol.

JC suggested a different pattern, and I went with his opinion—sad, because I can look at a bunch of pics of A-2s, and I always stop at the Perry :)

If it turns out that they all bug me that much in the lower-front armpit, then I'll be POed I didn't try and break the perry in more. It was so close, I felt like 1/2 an inch (or less) room in the front and I'd be wearing it now. Literally I could pull it forward a hair and it was great, but as soon as I moved my arms at all, it would tuck back in to the pits.

I'll know shortly if things are sorted out :) Yip!

dmar836

Keep us informed! The HH JC is using is as if it's already broken in and has much of the look that we see in those old AAC cadet pics.

Dave

ButteMT61

I look t jackets this way. If a cheap jacket didn't feel right or was uncomfortable, I'd sell it in a minute. When we spend a lot on a nice jacket, wait 5-6 months (or more) we tend to want to "make it work". Well, screw that. It either fits and feels good or it doesn't. You did the right thing. A jacket is not a baseball mitt. It should fit right off the bat. Of course it will get more to your liking over time as it molds to your body, but uncomfortable? Nope. No way.
I think a big reason the US makers went "full" or "blousy" in the cuts is to accommodate more body shapes. It's a safer way to go, and cheaper as fewer models cover more bodies.
This custom route is not without caveats. It takes a few jackets under one's belt to get the hang of it, and the good news is that selling them is always pretty easy. Nothing more disappointing that a jacket that finally arrives and it doesn't fit. Sorry it didn't work out, but never feel bad about not being satisfied. As long as you did your part correctly in supplying info to the maker, you did your job. I don't envy anyone making these jackets. Tough job, and tougher audience.

dmar836

All true. Keep in mind what might have happened if you were an airman issued a jacket. Granted, we would all be smaller but even some of the tubby COs flew in A-2s. Officers bought their class A uniforms but weren't they issued their A-2s as cadets? Perhaps that's why we see civilian A-2s - maybe a better fit?
We have the luxury of custom fitted jackets and analysis of different contracts(thank goodness). They didn't. Wondering if you would have reached for a 44 back then?
Gotta wonder what I would have had myself.

Dave

Dr H

I'd have handed it back and insisted on a Perry - preferably in goat - or Doniger in a 46 (to allow for modest layering) :lol:

unclegrumpy

dmar836 said:
LOL. Anyone ever heard of flyers trading jackets for a better fit as a cadet?
No, you are right! Cadets were not generally issued jackets to keep, but rather checked one out each time they flew as a part of their daily flying gear. I think they were too concerned at that stage about washing out to worry about having the perfect fitting jacket.

tater

Yeah, I think the choice would have been maybe taking another size at best. Perhaps I'd have fit fine into a standard 42 instead of a small 42 (when my chest is more like a 40) <shrug>.

RCSignals

I suspect that other than the fit most saw the A-2 as being all the same.
When jackets were finally issued to airmen, I would be surprised if before name tags were sewn on there wasn't some trading for 'fit'

HackerF15E

RCSignals said:
I suspect that other than the fit most saw the A-2 as being all the same.

As we've talked about in some other threads here, the vast majority of military flyers are not/were not equipment enthusiasts, and thus what they are issued are simply "issue items". There's not even awareness of manufacturer differences, much less a desire to have one type over another type. The equipment fills an operational need so that they can do their job, and so long as it does that part well that is all they care about.

dmar836

So true. I am amazed that the few guys I've talked to about custom patches and paint cannot recall even the story of how they obtained the mods. They took such pride to do this to these jackets and then to make sure and keep them but cannot remember?
I guess in the midst of the risks of war, those details tend to pale in comparison.
Dave

HackerF15E

dmar836 said:
So true. I am amazed that the few guys I've talked to about custom patches and paint cannot recall even the story of how they obtained the mods. They took such pride to do this to these jackets and then to make sure and keep them but cannot remember?
I guess in the midst of the risks of war, those details tend to pale in comparison.
Dave

Again, it has to do with what they find significant at the time. To most, the equipment is just "stuff" that barely warrants a second look. Patching or painting a jacket has to do with pride in what they were doing or who they were doing it with, and not so much the jacket itself.

I bet they could recall with vivid detail some of the sights and sounds of their experiences, though.

navvet

As a student naval aviator in Pensacola in the early 70's I was issued a G-1 that I
practically lived in for 6 months. I never bothered to notice who manufactured it.
It simply served its purpose.

tater

OK. Now I "get it."

Over a year ago I ordered an A-2 from GW, knowing I'd have a while before I had to pick which contract. John happened to have a Perry from another customer he thought might fit. It was actually too big in most areas, but hurt the lower front of my armpits and biceps. Flash forward almost a year. I decide on a Perry, because other than the fit issues, I thought it was a nice looking jacket—and unlike all the other pictures I've seen now, it was the only "good" A-2 I'd ever seen in person not counting a bunch in museums behind glass (and not recently at that). I get it, and the problems are documented in this thread.

John suggested a 18775 (or really any of the quite similar Aero contracts (this is from him, I know squat about a-2 patterns past pictures on the net)) as a pattern that might work better for me. I got it, and now, as the first line says, "I get it."

Now I have a benchmark. I can feel the seams in the armpits sometimes, but they don't annoy or hurt me. It works with a t-shirt, or a proper shirt over a T, even a thin layer on top of that, though that gets considerably more snug. I without question made the right decision.

The next one will be easier :D

(course the next one might be an M-422 or other USN type)

PS—yeah, I'll try and post pics in the next day or two