• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Functional A-2 fit vs break in questions

tater

Hey,

as a novice to quality, repro HH A-2s, are there any things I should watch out for in fit. Not aesthetics, but functional stuff.

Assuming I want a trim fit over at most a thick shirt, should the jacket be tight across the back with arms raised forward (like a zombie looking for brains, or perhaps driving a car)? Is that something that breaks in?

What about the arm-hole seams? Is it typical to really feel them in your armpit, or the front of the upper arm very near the armpit/shoulder at rest? Does this stretch, break in in your expert opinions?

Thanks for any input.

442RCT

If the jacket fits, you'll know it automatically... :?

I own a couple dozen A-2s from many makers. They range in size from a 38 to 42...I even have a sz 44.
My all time favorite fit are Sefton A-2s in sz 40. The first time I put one on, it felt like it was custom made for me, the armhole placement, the sleeve length, etc.. I have other A-2s that fit 'comfortably', but nothing like the Seftons. I have A-2s that are a trim cut that I can wear with a shirt, but no layering with a sweat shirt or sweater. I have 2 'generously' cut A-2s that are made from really thick HH, an Aero and an Aviation Leathercraft, that I find myself wearing because when it gets cold I can wear a sweatshirt with them.

The sz 44 is a Cooper goatskin A-2 that had been treated by the previous owner with some unknown brand of leather conditioner that rendered it so soft and pliable, it fits anyone from size 38 up to 44. Ladies who've put it on and weren't real picky about sleeve or jacket length have offered to buy it from me... (it's got cute artwork on the back).

I own the same size jackets from the same maker (i.e.-Eastman and Aero), and they fit differently, based on which model designated. i.e.- In my experience an Eastman 'house' model is larger cut than their Rough wear.

So until you actually put a jacket on, measurements are only a guide. Your mileage may vary.

tater

I guess I was wondering if it fits well in most areas, but has some places that feel bothersome, do they ever break in, or do you know right away:

this feels off, and it will never be acceptable

vs

it's uncomfortable, but will be fine once broken in.

tater

Roughwear said:
I would just buy a high end repro A-2 in your size and enjoy breaking it in.

I did ;)

The question is how much of the way the jacket feels will change with break-in. In your (collective) experience, have you had any high-end repros that were uncomfortable to wear at first (in this case only in the armpits), and became great fits with break-in?

It's not like the seams are pushing hard into my armpits, they barely touch, but over time (tried on for long time periods), it gets pretty annoying, and I'm happy to remove it.

Basically, I'm unclear on how break-in affects long-term feel.

Roughwear

It sounds as if you need a Good Wear A2, which should fit you correctly and not cause such a problem before or after it is broken in. :)

Jaguar46

Here is a hint I got from John Chapman about stretching the arm holes. You have to wet the armhole. I just dipped the end of the jacket that included the armhole into warm water until wet. Then carefully take the armhole and slide it over your flexed (bent) knee, while sitting. Then when it is tight over your knee, start to gently stretch the hole by opening (attempting to extend) your knee working the hole around so it stretches. You do not want to stretch to the point of breaking the stitching. It helped loosen up a jacket with tight arm holes for me.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tater said:

The jacket will certainly improve with age as it softens, and moulds to your shape.

With the armpits being uncomfortable, sometimes the jacket is fine, and its more the shirt that's the culprit. Modern shirts are often cut with lower sleeves, so you're walking around with shirt bunched up under the armpit, and it gets annoying.

tater

I was mostly wearing a t-shirt (thin one, at that).

I heard the knee tip as well. Remember, I'm a noob, and this is my first good a-2 (I jumped straight into the deep end of the pool). I have no benchmark.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tater said:

If the jacket's tight with a T-shirt, perhaps you do need to size up ... maybe we need to see some pictures. ;)

omarco

deeb7 said:
tater said:

If the jacket's tight with a T-shirt, perhaps you do need to size up ... maybe we need to see some pictures. ;)

+1

tight with a t shirt on sounds too tight to me.

Which jacket is it?

tgd31968

Also, My A-2 provides very little warmth in anything but mild temps. It is after all a summer weight jacket. If you are going to be in cooler weather, which I know new mexico can get, especially at night, you will want to be able to wear a sweatshirt or something under it. I usually wear a modern synthetic fleece vest under it in the winter. It won't serve as a winter jacket in Michigan without an underlayer.

If you look at vintage pics, they are often baggy on the thin young fliers. Most of us bear little resemblance to that, in both age and girth.

It should be comfortable from day one. A little loose isn't going to hurt when you need a thicker shirt.

My $0.02 worth.

Terry

deand

deeb7 said:
tater said:

The jacket will certainly improve with age as it softens, and moulds to your shape.

With the armpits being uncomfortable, sometimes the jacket is fine, and its more the shirt that's the culprit. Modern shirts are often cut with lower sleeves, so you're walking around with shirt bunched up under the armpit, and it gets annoying.

Very true. Good point.

dean

Steve27752

Although we think of the A2 as a slim fit item. In period photos they are often worn over a vest, shirt, flight suit etc. So not as slim fit/tight as one would think.

Tim P

I am with Steve. this shirt type fit is a crock. It has been started on this forum I think and perpetuated unchallenged. As an outer garment it should have enough room for movement and ideally layering.
Some people on here (sorry guys, honestly) have posted pics of themselves looking like gibbons and the shower of 'great looking jacket' compliments serve as the emperors new clothes.
the overly droopy bat-wing avirex syndrome is equally ludicrous. but the A-2 as a tailored garment rather than an item of sturdy work-wear is pure revisionism.
I don't mean it to sound like a rant and its not personal, even if it seems so. Its just an opinion I hold and I regret it being contrary to some but we could stand to revisit our core belief's on the rights and wrongs of a2 fit. often borne out by photographic evidence.

If it feels too tight, its probably too tight. ;)

tater

I decided it was too tight. I should be clear that I could wear it over a sweater, which in fact felt slightly better, since the seam was cushioned. I think the end problem was actually the back. Moving my arms forward (at all) resulted in the back being completely taught on me, and actually then pulled the front of the arm-holes into my pits.

I'm not as practiced in how these jackets fit as you lot, so I wanted to make extra sure it was not right before sending it back—worried that it was a failure of mine to know how they really fit vs more modern cuts.

Suffice to say there will soon be an awesome Perry available for someone...