• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Functional A-2 fit vs break in questions

herk115

HackerF15E said:
dmar836 said:
So true. I am amazed that the few guys I've talked to about custom patches and paint cannot recall even the story of how they obtained the mods. They took such pride to do this to these jackets and then to make sure and keep them but cannot remember?
I guess in the midst of the risks of war, those details tend to pale in comparison.
Dave

Again, it has to do with what they find significant at the time. To most, the equipment is just "stuff" that barely warrants a second look. Patching or painting a jacket has to do with pride in what they were doing or who they were doing it with, and not so much the jacket itself.

I bet they could recall with vivid detail some of the sights and sounds of their experiences, though.

Tater, being neither a newbie nor a veteran to repro A-2 collecting, I'm probably where you are now. Most of what I wanted to say has already been said by the others, so I'll just add one or two points.

First, I agree with Hacker that most guys in the active military don't care who made what or how it looks, as long as it fits and the look falls within regulations. It is true now and was probably true then. In my own unit, if you took the squadron as a whole on the day we were issued our jackets, the overall average feeling was on the slightly positive side of indifference. A few guys like me were excited to get the jackets; most were happy but it was the kind of "happy" you'd feel if someone gave you a free Coke; and there were a few guys who were openly unhappy about the time spent waiting in line for the jackets when they could have been doing something useful. And one of our guys remarked, right after putting on his jacket, "These damned things make us look like we're from West Hollywood!"

Second, we weren't asked if we liked the look or fit. A piece of paper dictated which size you got, and you took what was handed to you; if you didn't like it, well, it was put your Nomex jacket back on and shut up. (Fortunately, mine fit fine...well, as fine as a Cooper could fit). We didn't have the luxury of being picky like the members of the civilian repro world do.

Third, when the guys in WWII were issued their jackets, they were months or even weeks away from going into combat. They had far greater worries than whether or not their jackets looked "cool." Yes, some played the "cool" angle when they came home on leave prior to going overseas, but if anything, it was probably a way to get their minds off what lay ahead (and maybe "get a little" while they were on leave).

And fourth, looking at all those pictures can be very misleading. When you look at a group shot of guys in A-2s, your brain sees all of the jackets as a whole and you think they look pretty cool. Try covering up part of the photo until only one jacket is visible. You will probably find flaws in the design and fit of the jacket you don't like.

And I couldn't agree more that the search for the perfect jacket never ends. You will still be searching on your deathbed! Rest assured we've all had experiences similar to you...but in some of our cases, back then we didn't have the internet to get all this great advice.

Hope this helps.

tater

Sorry, missed the reply. I appreciate all the helpful posts. John got it dialed in with the Aero contract.

I had my son (5YO) snap a few pics, this is the least blurry, lol. So finally a pic for you guys.

a2.jpg

It's dull russet, but inside it looks far darker than in bright sunlight.

Jaguar46

herk115 said:
And I couldn't agree more that the search for the perfect jacket never ends. You will still be searching on your deathbed! Rest assured we've all had experiences similar to you...but in some of our cases, back then we didn't have the internet to get all this great advice.

For those of us that have a number of imperfect jackets, every day I don one, and feel it on me, and assuming it fits OK, the minute I walk out the door, I feel perfect wearing one of my imperfect jackets. Such is the joy of collecting imperfect jackets, especially A2s.

Monsoon

Yep, just beating the dead horse here.

Guys that are flying for the military mainly want a jacket that fits and looks decent. As I had said in a previous post/thread, the new ones that are coming our way aren't the best looking, which usually brings out the comment, "Dude, your jacket looks like ass." The few guys that got them pretty much tossed them in their locker and are wearing nomex.

We are lucky that our supply troop is going the extra mile and trying to get ones that look good. He doesn't like them either.

herk115

Monsoon said:
We are lucky that our supply troop is going the extra mile and trying to get ones that look good. He doesn't like them either.

What are you guys wearing now, and what's out there that might look good that the AF would cough up the dough for? In my day, we had no choice: Cooper Saddlery, period.

tater

It's funny, as a "virtual" exercise, before pulling the trigger for John to make it, I was obsessing over tiny details. With my Perry fit issues, I ended up just going with what John suggested. In a sense, it was sort of like it was just issued, I got what I got. I bet I'd like any contract he would have picked just as much, frankly. While the season lasts (not much longer here in New Mexico), I have been wearing it daily.

Jaguar46

tater said:
Sorry, missed the reply. I appreciate all the helpful posts. John got it dialed in with the Aero contract.

I had my son (5YO) snap a few pics, this is the least blurry, lol. So finally a pic for you guys.

It's dull russet, but inside it looks far darker than in bright sunlight.

I have one of Johns Aero A2s, and it fits me about the best of any of my jackets.

Monsoon

herk115 said:
What are you guys wearing now, and what's out there that might look good that the AF would cough up the dough for? In my day, we had no choice: Cooper Saddlery, period.

Mine is Avirex. I can't remember who made the crappy ones the supply guy is trying to get rid of. I think they might be Avirex, too, but they look very cheap.