• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elc hilts a-2

a2jacketpatches

Ready when you are TOMG for that for that painting order, anything else you can dream up related to art -n-jackets the answer is more than likely YES!

Roughwear

TOMG1401 said:
why didn't someone think of that before !!!

It has already been mentioned earlier in the thread that there was likely to have been a back-up Hilt's jacket. Whether it was used in the actual film is debatable.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, TOMG1401 said so. But until I see proof of two or more actual jackets, film experience or not I just don't believe it :lol:

a2jacketpatches

TOMG1401 said:
There isn't even proof of one jacket. Don't you need my size to paint the jacket ?

Sure there is, he wears it throughout the movie. And all I need is the still image to paint it from, but you can pick the size canvas you'd like it painted on. Minimum size is 3' X 4' and staring price is $600

TOMG1401

Sure there is ??? Where is it, who has it, has anyone seen it in the flesh ?? It's just an image on celluloid

You can relax patches, did you actually think I wanted a painting of a movie prop? and a bargain at $600, LMAO

ButteMT61

Based on the budget, era, stars, etc. I'd wager there were more than one "Hero" jacket. Esp since the jacket does get used (abused) a bit. And a couple of the big studios had (still have) large supplies of WWII jackets/gear in their prop houses.
I'm lost on the last few posts, but tracing a jacket(s) from that period will likely prove difficult.

a2jacketpatches

TOMG1401 said:
Sure there is ??? Where is it, who has it, has anyone seen it in the flesh ?? It's just an image on celluloid

You can relax patches, did you actually think I wanted a painting of a movie prop? and a bargain at $600, LMAO

"Actually" No I didn't, LMAO twice as hard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a2jacketpatches

TOMG1401 said:

Yeah, there sure is, they didn't have CGI back then so that is an actual physical item, photographic evidence, proof of a jacket. Don't confuse your own statement with contract, think that' subject has been beat to death. The point was that there was likely more than one jacket.

And "actually" Not really LMAO, but a SEG for sure :D

Roughwear

ButteMT61 said:
Based on the budget, era, stars, etc. I'd wager there were more than one "Hero" jacket. Esp since the jacket does get used (abused) a bit. And a couple of the big studios had (still have) large supplies of WWII jackets/gear in their prop houses.
I'm lost on the last few posts, but tracing a jacket(s) from that period will likely prove difficult.

I agree with this Scott about there being more than one Hilt's A2. This thread has meandered somewhat. It will be interesting to see how well the ELC Escape jacket sells.

Silver Surfer

many, many years ago, i did some film work. extra, commercials, stunt work, etc. on any given set of nearly any production, there were always back up clothing for the leads, and sometimes even for secondary actors-actresses. would "the great escape" have had back up jacs? you betchum, two, possibly three. could the have used an original? that would depend on the wardrobe master, stylists, designers,, and so forth. many film companys have plenty of vintage gear, but due to the constraints of actors sizes and shapes, it is [was] sometimes better to have a piece or pieces custom made. keep in mind that the camera puts appx 10 pounds on anyone, and a jacket, shirt, or anything that further exacerbates that is ng. the question of, if they used an original which contract was it? is moot. as andrew pointed out within all of the rough wear contracts, there were variances within the same contracts. from my experience, i have found that the first two rw contracts had pockets that were more scalloped then subsequent contracts. most had slightly narrower sleeve ends then subsequent contracts. the true anomaly of rws is the 1401 contract, which had shorter poceket flaps then the earlier contracts, and later contracts. however, as mentioned, you can find existing originals that have some, none or all of the minor diffs between contracts. ultimately, who cares?

Robman

Watch the Devils Brigade. William Holden plays Col. Frederick and he is seen wearing an A2 in several scenes, typical of airborne officers during the war. In one scene he appears to be wearing a redyed Roughwear, in another he has a private purchase one with a two piece back. Bet the director couldn't tell.

a2jacketpatches

Silver Surfer said:
many, many years ago, i did some film work. extra, commercials, stunt work, etc. on any given set of nearly any production, there were always back up clothing for the leads, and sometimes even for secondary actors-actresses. would "the great escape" have had back up jacs? you betchum, two, possibly three. could the have used an original? that would depend on the wardrobe master, stylists, designers,, and so forth. many film companys have plenty of vintage gear, but due to the constraints of actors sizes and shapes, it is [was] sometimes better to have a piece or pieces custom made. keep in mind that the camera puts appx 10 pounds on anyone, and a jacket, shirt, or anything that further exacerbates that is ng. the question of, if they used an original which contract was it? is moot. as andrew pointed out within all of the rough wear contracts, there were variances within the same contracts. from my experience, i have found that the first two rw contracts had pockets that were more scalloped then subsequent contracts. most had slightly narrower sleeve ends then subsequent contracts. the true anomaly of rws is the 1401 contract, which had shorter poceket flaps then the earlier contracts, and later contracts. however, as mentioned, you can find existing originals that have some, none or all of the minor diffs between contracts. ultimately, who cares?

DING!!!!!!A bell just rang out, that's the real question Vic.....Who cares?????

Sold three V. HILTS tags this week alone after a long dry spell so I got to thinking about that yesterday. A quick feedback search revealed one buyer had feedback on multiple movie items. While here on VLJ and FL there's just a handful of guys fascinated with the whole contract mystery, that probably accounts for a tiny fraction if any of the potential buyers for the new Eastman V. Hilts Jacket, just expert opinions and speculation. It's been going on for 8 pages and really gone absolutely nowhere with no definitive "proof" of contract. Moreover, the question of multiple jackets has been suggested several times without any proof of that either. Not even a "hey, this jacket is different from that jacket" Does Gary care? No.......I think the answer to "who cares" is this.....relatively NOBODY when you consider the real potential market for this item. Last summer I bought a 40 lb. bucket-o-blasters, everything from a half converted Han Solo DL-44 Blaster back to the old Forbidden Planet Ray Gun. I immediately joined at least 2 out of a bunch of Movie Prop Forums showing unbelievable participation. There was a single Han Solo pistol thread that's been going on for years at about 250 pages or something crazy like that. Some guy paid me 280- for the half done conversion from a 30- dollar white metal Broomhandle Mauser model kit. There were parts to the Blade Runner Pistol, a newer generation Star Trek Rifle and an early communicator, Romulan somthinorother, Indiana Jones idol, and quite a few other things. I paid about 50- for the whole bucket and turned it into 2000- over a period of two weeks. Most of it was just cast resin parts and low quality at that. Being involved with casting models some time back, this seemed to be the seconds bucket, castings with air bubbles and other defects. Ebay gobbled them up like 50 seagulls on a French Fry in McD's parking lot. My point here is that there is most certainly a market out there for Gary and his rendition is spot on regardless of any proof that'll satisfy the guys who wouldn't buy one in a million years anyway. I think the movie prop market dwarfs the repro leather jacket market and this is a good opportunity to branch out a bit especially with such consideration to detail. Once I fix the space in my V. HILTS tag, I'll be revising the listing to include some new key words and categories relating to motion pictures. Hobby is hobby and business is business, as a small business, I thank you V for whacking me over the head with that one simple question :D

Roughwear

As a historian I actually do care which contract the Hilt's film jacket is. The question of which RW contract will not be satisfactorily answered until the original in the film is located and examined. Reproduction makers and their associates have a vested interest in the original jacket being the specific contract that they have reproduced.

ButteMT61

I agree with Andrew here. This whole place is about the details. Now maybe I don't care - only to the point where it gets beyond my scope of knowledge - but it IS interesting and this IS the place where such things are usually sorted.
I'm kinda back to where I get on threads such as this where someone gets tired of it and says "close it", "nobody cares". etc. Everyone here is smart enough to skip threads that they don't like or have gone somewhere that makes them bored.
So, if it's not important, not something you care about, etc. just move on and let it run it's course.

a2jacketpatches

I understand Andrew and not busting on those who do care about contract, that is semi interesting to me as well. I was simply addressing the question "who cares?" With all of the questions as to why Gary would do this and the numerous "I wouldn't buy ones" here and on FL, I though to add a little something to help answer that question.

I was just joking around before I "meandered" a bit after being labeled "another vendor" But thought to get back on track from a vendor point of view, As "another vendor" I get what Gary is trying to do by focusing on the little details and his best educated guess on the contract. As far as I can see the topic of this thread is "elc hilts a-2" and not limited to the contract mystery. looks like that's pretty much a mute point and already beat to death on two forums totaling 16 pages without cold hard evidence. And as a vendor, I have little interest in another speculation that there was more than one jacket considering we can't nail down the first one. So I'm concentrating on what truly makes this an accurate Great Escape movie replica and what movie prop enthusiasts do care about....the visual details. The actual contract is unclear.... more than one jacket....unclear. But a reasonable assumption and full-hearted attempt has been made by "another vendor"....Gary to represent all the little details he possibly could and he did a great job. Like Gary, I've made an observation of my own, it IS clear in the photos that there's a space between V. & HILTS and that's been overlooked more than once.

And I agree with you Scott. What seems boring here is going on and on about the mystery contract and possibility of more than one jacket, I'm with you, details details details, BUT! in this case all that really matters is what you do see, the visual details. That's all there really is to this and I'm very interested in that.....as "another vendor"

TOM? Anything? I mean anything new? :lol:

Vcruiser

ButteMT61 said:
I agree with Andrew here. This whole place is about the details. Now maybe I don't care - only to the point where it gets beyond my scope of knowledge - but it IS interesting and this IS the place where such things are usually sorted.
I'm kinda back to where I get on threads such as this where someone gets tired of it and says "close it", "nobody cares". etc. Everyone here is smart enough to skip threads that they don't like or have gone somewhere that makes them bored.
So, if it's not important, not something you care about, etc. just move on and let it run it's course.

Went completely over his head Scott, so the droning dialog continues, with commercials, of course....

a2jacketpatches

Thought I heard the old van clunking down the street, I can only guess but very predictable and about all he really has to offer in any thread, To pop in and put an end to this madness? lucky I got my ear plugs on.

OK, will move on as it seems certain threads you're not welcome in if ya don't go with the flow. I'll try to focus on what wrong from now on as opposed to what's right or relevant to the topic.

Yeah, I'm not convinced of the contract either and there was probably more than one jacket. I'll check back in 16 pages to see if anything has changed :roll: