• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elc hilts a-2

TOMG1401

Anyone who has film experience knows there are always multiple costumes, I believe there were at least 2, probably 3 jackets for the film. Google the Red Ruby shoes Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz, and the controversy a few years ago about multiple pairs that were auctioned as worn by her in the film, interesting, and relevant to the McQueen jacket genealogy. There are ALWAYS back ups in the film industry, even for the stars, there called stand ins, a simple jacket is no different, one gets ripped, etc... bring in the stand in.

Garylafortuna

TOMG1401 said:
Anyone who has film experience knows there are always multiple costumes, I believe there were at least 2, probably 3 jackets for the film. Google the Red Ruby shoes Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz, and the controversy a few years ago about multiple pairs that were auctioned as worn by her in the film, interesting, and relevant to the McQueen jacket genealogy. There are ALWAYS back ups in the film industry, even for the stars, there called stand ins, a simple jacket is no different, one gets ripped, etc... bring in the stand in.

Very apropos with the Indiana Jones jacket. Discussed at great length on Indy Forums.

Roughwear

Very true Vic. Interesting that it has come for sale at the same time ELC have launched their "Escape" jacket! I also agree about there being more than one Hilt's A2 linked to the film. Until conclusive proof is offered to the contrary I do not believe the jacket worn by McQueen in the film was a RW 16159. The collar suggests a 27752.

TOMG1401

To keep trying passing off reproductions of this jacket as legitimate is ridiculous and aimed at the uninformed. Unlike repro's of specific contracts, say, by Goodwear or ELC where they can do a side by side comparison of the original and their reproduction, this jacket does not exist as far as anyone knows and is only seen in poor quality stills from a film made 50 years ago, so what are these based on? Unless the jacket is in hand there can never be a legit repro, never. I would prefer to make my own version as in the e bay ad John posted the link to.

Vcruiser

Great, but put your ad links in the manufacturers section rather than pulling a Platon at every opening.

a2jacketpatches

Holy crap!!!!!!I think the distance between the V. and HILTS is way off, there seems to be at least a full character of space on one of the movie jackets. Maybe 1/4" and my tags got only about 1/8" Now if anyone has a good shot of a regulation baseball next to the tag I'll bust out my micrometer and calculator, we'll get to the bottom of this dammit :lol:

I'm not gonna sleep tonight til I get it right :lol:

a2jacketpatches

Not just another vendor........and.........."Actually"......Yes!!!!!

Planning on similar projects now that my studio is completed. Different stills to include flight jacket wearing Claire Chennault and Greg Boyington. Now you sparked my interest and V. Hilts is on the list. Just needs to get a little warmer to work out there

Could sculpt it as well, hell, I could airbrush your freakin fingernails if ya want :lol:

Dozens of photos buried on a bad hard drive that I can't access but here's a one sample done from a still.

AAAAAAAAnd, just in case you meant a re-dye. Yes, I will do that as well if you can recommend the correct dye. I've got the perfect gun for spaying dye on a jacket. It and a roll of blue tape outta take care of that. Just may be offering that service in the very near future.

ButteMT61

My wife knows him!

Screen%20Shot_2.png

Kennyz

Roughwear said:
Very true Vic. Interesting that it has come for sale at the same time ELC have launched their "Escape" jacket! I also agree about there being more than one Hilt's A2 linked to the film. Until conclusive proof is offered to the contrary I do not believe the jacket worn by McQueen in the film was a RW 16159. The collar suggests a 27752.

Andrew - Don't the shape of the pockets on McQueen's jacket in the movie indicate it's a 16159?

Roughwear

Kennyz said:
Roughwear said:

Andrew - Don't the shape of the pockets on McQueen's jacket in the movie indicate it's a 16159?

Sure it could be, but there was variation in RW pocket flap shapes within contracts. Until someone provides detailed up to date photos of the Hilt jacket(s) no one can be 100% certain which original RW contract(s) was/were used by the film guys.

Kennyz

Roughwear said:
Sure it could be, but there was variation in RW pocket flap shapes within contracts. Until someone provides detailed up to date photos of the Hilt jacket(s) no one can be 100% certain which original RW contract(s) was/were used by the film guys.

I see…Interesting! Thanks Andrew.

Ken

tibor

It's also entirely possible that more than one jacket was used in the production. It would be very unusual for a production to depend on the durability of a single jacket for the entire film including stunts. Maybe they just picked some jackets labeled "Rough Wear" and didn't mind too much the contract numbers.