• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Anj-4 fleece depth ?

John Lever

I wore my new one today, and I was freezing cold. When I checked, I was surprised to find the pile depth was only 10 mm !!
Can any other owners have a look please to confirm what their pile thickness is ?
Thanks,

Falcon_52

Maybe you are just getting too comfortable in your Aero AN-J-4 and Irvin jackets? :) Those look really warm!

Noel

John Lever

Surely someone can be bothered to check one of their jackets and measure the depth ?
If there has been a mistake then I can return the jacket, otherwise I'm lumbered with a second.

m444uk

Should be 3/4" (20mm). I believe that's what the original specification was. Mind you, I used to have an original and that varied up to 1 1/2" deep in the body.

John Lever

m444uk said:
Should be 3/4" (20mm). I believe that's what the original specification was. Mind you, I used to have an original and that varied up to 1 1/2" deep in the body.
Thanks very much for that. In places mine is only 10 mm. I always assumed they were
Winter jackets heavy rather than light .It does not keep me warm at all with one layer underneath and feels like a D-1.
What to do ?

John Lever

Look it's barely 10mm and see how it looks like mohair hen compared to the B-3.

19122009243.jpg

19122009245.jpg

m444uk

ELC redskin and LostWorlds samples. Both circa 15mm and 20mm when the curl straightened.
You need to measure with the fleece pulled straight.

IMG_2491.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
If there has been a mistake then I can return the jacket, otherwise I'm lumbered with a second.

The Winter Issue B-3 fleece lined jacket was standardised on 8th May 1934. Originally lined with 5/8 inch fleece, the thickness was increased in mid 1935 to 1 1/4 inch in the torso and 3/4 inch for the sleeves, to help keep out the sub-zero temperatures of high altitude flight ...

The winter AN-J-4 jacket was the last of the shearling jackets and incorporated the most practical aspects of previous jackets. The numbering difference to previous jackets was as a result of the joint Army/Navy standardisation of numbering equipment. These jackets were introduced in mid May 1943. It had a 3/4 inch fleece torso lining and 1/4 inch in the sleeves ...

US ARMY AIR FORCE EQUIPMENT by STEVE BARR

As Adam posted, 3/4", so it's lighter than a B-3, especially in the sleeves .... but 10 mm? Go and have a grizzle to Gary ...

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:

The Winter Issue B-3 fleece lined jacket was standardised on 8th May 1934. Originally lined with 5/8 inch fleece, the thickness was increased in mid 1935 to 1 1/4 inch in the torso and 3/4 inch for the sleeves, to help keep out the sub-zero temperatures of high altitude flight ...

The winter AN-J-4 jacket was the last of the shearling jackets and incorporated the most practical aspects of previous jackets. The numbering difference to previous jackets was as a result of the joint Army/Navy standardisation of numbering equipment. These jackets were introduced in mid May 1943. It had a 3/4 inch fleece torso lining and 1/4 inch in the sleeves ...

US ARMY AIR FORCE EQUIPMENT by STEVE BARR

As Adam posted, 3/4", so it's lighter than a B-3, especially in the sleeves .... but 10 mm? Go and have a grizzle to Gary ...
I knew I could count on you David, thanks.

John Lever

m444uk said:
ELC redskin and LostWorlds samples. Both circa 15mm and 20mm when the curl straightened.
You need to measure with the fleece pulled straight.

IMG_2491.jpg

Mine is 10 mm in situ and about 12mm when pulled out straight.
My RMNZ is about 20 mm, the Aero is about 30mm.

Cliff

John, my ELC new model ANJ4 seems to be 12mm though the collar appears a little longer say around 15 or 18mm. I agree with you the ANJ4 is not as warm as my ELC Irvin or even the B3 which of course it was designed to replace.

I had an older ELC ANJ4 a few years ago and the fleece was thicker than the newer one. A friend has that one now so I will ask him to mearsure the pile for me.

Cheers

Cliff

John Lever

Hi Cliff,
Gary confirmed that their fleece depth is only 15 mm, that is too short IMO. He did agree though that may jacket seems to have shorter pile than usual and has offered a replacement even though it has been worn.
I have had older Eastman's and they were heavier.

Cliff

Yes John the older ones were warmer and looked better in my opinion than these new 2009 versions. Much prefered my older one, but I needed to move up a size (44 to 46) so sold it and bought my current one from a forum member. Its fine for a cold autumn and spring but my Irvin is what I am wearing at the moment with the weather as it is in East Sussex and Kent. More snow on the way I hear !

Cheers Cliff

John Lever

I had always assumed that the Anj-4 was the ultimate warmest USAAF shearling jacket. Maybe JC can offer his opinion on this ?
As I said before, my Aero has 30 mm 1 1/4 inch fleece and my RMNZ is about 20 to 25 mm.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I had always assumed that the Anj-4 was the ultimate warmest USAAF shearling jacket.

Reading the specs. that's only true in the world of the replica.

Are you going to take up the offer of a replacement, John? They can list your old one in the Re-Issue Dept. ... as new, only slightly warm.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
I had always assumed that the Anj-4 was the ultimate warmest USAAF shearling jacket.

Reading the specs. that's only true in the world of the replica.

Are you going to take up the offer of a replacement, John? They can list your old one in the Re-Issue Dept. ... as new, only slightly warm.
Oh you are awful...

shiloh

John Lever said:
I wore my new one today, and I was freezing cold. When I checked, I was surprised to find the pile depth was only 10 mm !!
Can any other owners have a look please to confirm what their pile thickness is ?
Thanks,

Hello John,

I own a very, very early ELC dual tone ANJ-4 and the pile thickness from this jacket is 17 mm. Very warm jacket. Perhaps over the years ELC started to use thinner pile thickness for their shearlings. Here the pics I promised.

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2073-1.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

As you will notice my jacket has a double reenforment stitching at the zippers bottom (both sides instead of the left side only) and the hidden press buttons on the pocket flaps are IMO not as it should be. But still a very beautiful, warm and nice jacket. Size 40 but a little too snug on me.

Regards,

Shiloh