• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Star or Original?

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
I suspect he was told it was a repro and accordingly changed the auction to a BIN.

Sellers should really know what they have got but this thread highlights a nasty, grabby element to this forum that has made several good members that I know leave.

SuinBruin

Peter Graham said:
Roughwear said:
I suspect he was told it was a repro and accordingly changed the auction to a BIN.

Sellers should really know what they have got but this thread highlights a nasty, grabby element to this forum that has made several good members that I know leave.
I kind of agree. It sucks for the seller if he was misled (even innocently) into believing an original was a repro.

ButteMT61

There's a lot of speculation. If you're right of course someone is an a-hole. But, we just don't know...yet.

unclegrumpy

I am not sure why the buyer is on the hot seat over this. It was not me, but I was watching this auction.

In my mind, the seller was the idiot...all he had to do was let his auction run the rest of its nine days. To me the question was why he pulled the plug so quickly. I could maybe see it if he had a few hours left and nothing was happening....but he still had nine days to go!

Basically, the answer is the seller got greedy and nervous. In this case he probably stupided himself out of many hundreds of dollars.

Marv

Here's an old pic of my ELC Star which sold on a year or so ago...........

photo1.jpg

ciddu

SuinBruin said:
Peter Graham said:
Roughwear said:

I kind of agree. It sucks for the seller if he was misled (even innocently) into believing an original was a repro.

It doesn't seem to me that anyone here tried to cheat the seller. There's just a debate going on, and no conclusive evidence either way.
If the seller is not a member of the forum, then this thread should have no influence on the auction.
If the seller is a member of the forum he could have asked for advice or informed opinions before starting the auction, and he would have get some help to make up his mind about it.

2BM2K

I am really disappointed with this action.

There is no way that an Eastman Star can be mistaken with an original Star.

starlabel.jpg

Such greed, For A Few Dollars Less.

Persimmon

2BM2K said:
I am really disappointed with this action.

There is no way that an Eastman Star can be mistaken with an original Star.

starlabel.jpg

Such greed, For A Few Dollars Less.

Who are you disappointed with ?

2BM2K

Who are you disappointed with ?

Several things.

That the seller was told it was a repro.

That no one here corrected this misinformation (including me, too slow).

That someone (possibly a VLJ member) took advantage.

jschare

The buyer should know what he's selling before he tries to sell it. If he wasn't sure then he should have done his homework and checked it out. Since he didn't then shame on him. If someone told him it was a repro, he should have ended the auction and checked it out. He even says that he'll "let the buyer decide". So if anyone thinks he was stupid, in the immortal words of Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Jeff M

jschare said:
... He even says that he'll "let the buyer decide"......

Yep.
The clincher.
Seller said "I don't know and I don't care".
The seller was gambling and covering his a*s in case it wasn't an original and somebody thought it was and paid big bucks for it.

767fo

jschare said:
The buyer should know what he's selling before he tries to sell it. If he wasn't sure then he should have done his homework and checked it out. Since he didn't then shame on him. If someone told him it was a repro, he should have ended the auction and checked it out. He even says that he'll "let the buyer decide". So if anyone thinks he was stupid, in the immortal words of Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

ButteMT61

Fellas - does anyone actually KNOW what happened? Lots of speculation here. And why get upset until we know?

omarco

saucerfiend said:
Hey, I bought it. It's none of anyone's business Scott, but what do you want to know.

Brian

no ones business but your own friend. as long as buyer and seller are happy wheres the prob?

saucerfiend

omarco said:
saucerfiend said:
Hey, I bought it. It's none of anyone's business Scott, but what do you want to know.

Brian

no ones business but your own friend. as long as buyer and seller are happy wheres the prob?

Finally, that's how it should be. Thanks. BTW, fellas', how about a few congrats that a brother in the hobby finally got his original?

Brian

ButteMT61

saucerfiend said:

Brian

Me??? I don't give a rat's ass. I was one of the few posting we don't know what happened. Not sure why I got the wrath Brian.

"Fellas - does anyone actually KNOW what happened? Lots of speculation here. And why get upset until we know?"
"There's a lot of speculation. If you're right of course someone is an a-hole. But, we just don't know...yet."