• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman BS, Horse-pucky, and a Hornswaggle

blackrat2

I wonder that if someone has the jacket , why they haven’t posted pictures or an article about said jacket, or even that it’s been included in a book about McQueen or the film, I currently don’t have any original A2’s but the vibe I get from this site and other places is that owners of such jackets do like to show them off
If this jacket really resides in Japan then again I have to question why the likes of Buzz Rickinson haven’t approached the owner to replicate the jacket or featured it in a glossy article…food for thought

ZuZu

Z
Not sure what you’re referring to about the movie jacket collar . I looked at a few photos and I could only find him wearing the jacket with the collar down… have I missed something ?

Mcqueen's jacket collar is folded in a verfy specific and peculiar way. Possibly from being squished in a trunk for years. It looks cool because the collar points are pushed way down on to the chest. It is actually very hard to replicate with any repro I've had so far. If you push the collar tips down like that the back of the collar (on repros) tends to pop up- it looks weird. The closest I've gotten was with an early GW 1401p which had a slightly narrower collar than usual- 2.5" instaed of 2.75-3" as on a normal RW collar. In your painting example they tried very hard to do it but it really doesn't look the same:

D2F4FFAA-115A-49BE-A78C-C50BA2632C2D (1).jpeg

VS.:
MV5BMTQ4OTY5NTkwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzg4MTkzNA@@._V1_ - Copy.jpg

See how the collar points just ride on the chest?

Hilts-King-Aviator-Jacket.jpg

Chandler

Why should we care a jot if this A2 is the same as a jacket and wearer that never existed ?
I think Jan answered it pretty well, just above.

ZuZu

Why should we care a jot if this A2 is the same as a jacket and wearer that never existed ?

We care because in real life some of us (maybe many) aren't particularly interested in the jackets as historical pieces with all the baggage that entails but rather we like the jackets because they look so cool. Mcqueen in TGE embodies that cool for some of us- Boomers, Genexers and even Millenials want to replicate The Look.

ZuZu

I'm just wondering why it matters that he was fictional. McQueen was wearing a real A-2, he looked cool wearing it, and so a lot of us are curious what contract it was. Whether he was portraying a real airman is neither here nor there.

Sorry Jan for replicating your post...

Micawber

I'm just wondering why it matters that he was fictional. McQueen was wearing a real A-2, he looked cool wearing it, and so a lot of us are curious what contract it was. Whether he was portraying a real airman is neither here nor there.

I've met people who believe that the Great Escape film is a true reflection and factual retelling of events and characters. Many of these people have become somewhat incredulous and disbelieving when confronted with the some of the actual facts, not least the nationalities of the victims who were murdered. I suppose a good thing about the film is that it has created enough interest over the years for those who care about such things to remember the real 50 and the circumstances of their deaths.

mulceber

And that's a fair objection to make. The real history is always important. My point was that JL seems to be suggesting that because McQueen was portraying a fictional airman, we shouldn't care what contract he was wearing. And that doesn't follow.

Last edited:

mulceber

Since we're on the subject of bad info being put out by Eastman about Rough Wears, I thought I'd bring this one up as well:

Contract was completed in April of '42 (per the war supply contracts), and they think it was already field-modified and in use by Lawson on April 18th? Unless there's some compelling reason to think it's a 23380 (like say, Gary inspected the original), it seems much more likely Lawson was wearing an earlier Rough Wear contract.
Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 3.54.48 PM.png

Rough Wear contract data, courtesy of the (admittedly imperfect) War Supply Contracts:
Rough Wear.png

Last edited:

B-Man2

Gave the question some thought regarding if the character was fictional why should we care about the authenticity of the jacket .
While not addressing exactly the same question, a similar one might be why do some ( Me Included) get so spun up about owning an exact replica of the Indy jacket, made by the same people who made the jacket Wested Leathers, for a blatantly fictional character,Indiana Jones ? To me the answer was pretty much addressed in the above comments . We care because we identify with these fictional heroic characters. We admire the way they look and as closely as possible we want to look like them , dress like them and be cool like them . That’s my thoughts on the question .

Last edited:

Chandler

Gave the question some thought regarding if the character was fictional why should we care about the authenticity of the jacket .
While not addressing exactly the same question, a similar one might be why do some ( Me Included) get so spun up about owning an exact replica of the Indy jacket, made by the same people who made the jacket, Wested Leathers, for a blatantly fictional character? Indiana Johns .
How about caring about William Holden's G-1? Or Stanley Baker's Irvin? You and Jan both nailed it with the "cool" aspect, but you add an authentic jacket to be viewed and it brings to life something we usually only see in still pictures.

I read a lot of history about G.I.s in the Italian campaign -- took in images of M-41s and Winter Combat jackets. "The Story of G.I. Joe" was shown one night and I was enthralled! And yeah, some of those characters were based on actual people, but not all of them.

P-47 thunderbolt

The mcqueen jacket may be worn by a fictional character but it is a real ww2 piece. When worn by mcqueen it showed it as a real, iconic piece of American workwear that average people could relate to and emulate the style.
Also it's not like whe you wear an a2 you're wearing a 'great escape jacket' - there are many different iterations. But the escape jacket seems to have it all - nice fit, hard wear, grainy character. When you compare to say Sinatra's in Von Ryan's express there is no competition!
Mcqueen's has fashion appeal, ww2 interest in both the era and the actual ww2 jacket, and of course movie and mcqueen appeal. I'd want that jacket even if it wasn't used in the movie!