• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D1 vs B6 - which shearling to get?!

Tim P

why didn't they make a hybrid between the two ;)[/quote]

Try Aero... they may oblige, they probably have some hybrid jacket (they are not too bad when it comes to that) that would allow you to have a foot in both camps. just ask if they can do you a B6 with a plain back. A departure from authenticity but there you go,....

A d1 will not be as short as you think mind you.... anyone able to provide a back length for an appropriate size? or ask ELC to do you a long fitting D1.

may break mine out now....its cool enough.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I'm also a size 40, and at 6' one inch shorter. I don't know how the ELC jackets measure, but my Medium D-1 is:

• Chest 23
    Zip 20
    Sleeve 26
    Shoulder 18 1/2
    Back length 24 3/4
    Epaulet 6

I was able to try on many others first ... I like to fuss, and the measurements are perfect for me. If you add length in the body, you start to lose the look.

Dr H

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but you need to talk with John Lever before making a decision.

I saw this one in the flash last night:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10841&hilit=lever

John's images don't do it full justice - the camera flash accentuates the shine - it's really a very subtle piece of work with a fine sheen. The colour combination of the hides works really well too.

A very, very nice jacket - for a confirmed Irvin nut, I was impressed.

omarco

Tim P said:
Try Aero... they may oblige, they probably have some hybrid jacket (they are not too bad when it comes to that) that would allow you to have a foot in both camps. just ask if they can do you a B6 with a plain back. A departure from authenticity but there you go,....

Yea Aero can be good like that but like most on here i prefer to keep things (mostly) original tbh.

deeb, your measurements and pics look pretty ideal for me too.. iv given in and mailed Paddy ;)

I guess the shorter length is less exaggerated on the looser cut D1 compared to the A2 where the jacket is drawn in tighter around the waist by the knits. I find that when an A2 that is too short, the knits pull in above my belt which just aint right.

stanier

omarco said:
Tim P said:
I am 6'2" and 15.5 stone with a long torso. an Eastman large is fine on me length wise, accepting that it comes up shorter than some jackets. If you are worried about a D1 being too short, you need a B6. ;)

Yea i'm a pretty stupid size - 6' 1" and a 40" chest. No flight jacket off the peg seems to fit. i tend to wear my jeans on the hip too which doesn't make matters easier.

This is why its such a hard decision! Everyone's making perfectly valid points... why didn't they make a hybrid between the two ;)

Do you wear vintage high waisted jeans like those from LVC or Lee Vintage and others? You might find they make the difference.

omarco

stanier said:
Do you wear vintage high waisted jeans like those from LVC or Lee Vintage and others? You might find they make the difference.

Yea i do, bit of a denim freak too. Got a pair of warehouse 1001's on at the mo :D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
omarco said:
deeb, your measurements and pics look pretty ideal for me too.. iv given in and mailed Paddy ;)

I'm glad to hear that ... you can always rely on RM for sleeve length. :cool:

I guess the shorter length is less exaggerated on the looser cut D1 compared to the A2 where the jacket is drawn in tighter around the waist by the knits. I find that when an A2 that is too short, the knits pull in above my belt which just aint right.

Yes, it makes a big difference ... I've tried on other jackets, and thought they were longer than an A-2, and then measured to find they're the same.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I'm also a size 40, and at 6' one inch shorter. I don't know how the ELC jackets measure, but my Medium D-1 is:

• Chest 23
    Zip 20
    Sleeve 26
    Shoulder 18 1/2
    Back length 24 3/4
    Epaulet 6
For comparison my Medium Buzz D-1 measures Chest = 23¼ / Shoulders = 20½ / Length = 24¾ / Sleeves = 21¾.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
deeb7 said:

• Chest 23
    Zip 20
    Sleeve 26
    Shoulder 18 1/2
    Back length 24 3/4
    Epaulet 6
For comparison my Medium Buzz D-1 measures Chest = 23¼ / Shoulders = 20½ / Length = 24¾ / Sleeves = 21¾.

So similar measurements for the chest, and the length, wider in the shoulder, and those sleeves ... did you not include the knitted cuff, or have they been shortened?

Steve27752

deeb7 said:
asiamiles said:
deeb7 said:

• Chest 23
    Zip 20
    Sleeve 26
    Shoulder 18 1/2
    Back length 24 3/4
    Epaulet 6

So similar measurements for the chest, and the length, wider in the shoulder, and those sleeves ... did you not include the knitted cuff, or have they been shortened?

Knitted cuffs :roll:

Marv

I preferer the simple design of the D1 over the B6, looks much better in my opinion.

asiamiles

The sleeves are folded back a bit, so could be lengthened, but I think the short sleeves compensate for the wide shoulders; they're just right for me.

Peter Graham

I've owned originals of both jackets and they have similar thermal properties so it's down to styling and practicality. Personally I'd go for the B-6 any day because I love the quirky features that are unique to it and the pockets are well placed which is a big plus but the D-1 is a great jacket too. I'd buy either of them again.

omarco

Peter Graham said:
I've owned originals of both jackets and they have similar thermal properties so it's down to styling and practicality. Personally I'd go for the B-6 any day because I love the quirky features that are unique to it and the pockets are well placed which is a big plus but the D-1 is a great jacket too. I'd buy either of them again.

I really like all the little things that make a B6 a B6 too (collar, side zips, pockets, epaulettes, cut) ... except for the drawn in back.. though i'm sure if i had one it wouldn't bother me a jot.

Right now i think its gotta be a D1 for me so if anyone has one looking for a new owner around a size 40 - 42 drop me a line :)

Steve27752

Hi,
Are you still looking for a B6?
If so I have decided too sell my ELC B6. It is 6-7 years old, it is a 42"
Shoulder-Shoulder 22 1/2"
Bottom of neck down to bottom of jacket 26"
Sleeves (shoulder) to cuff 23"
Across bottom of jacket (side seam-side seam) 20 1/4"
There is balding to the end of the cuffs/bottom of body.
Slight flaking to right elbow.
wear to tape on right arm.
But I would still describe it as in good condition,
I will try and attach photo's!

B6B2001.jpg

B6B2002.jpg

B6B2008.jpg

B6B2003.jpg

B6B2005.jpg

B6B2004.jpg

B6B2006.jpg

B6B2007.jpg

If you are interested then I am asking £320 RMSD.
I cannot do PP but, I will take an old fashioned cheque, postal order or cash (If sent RMSD).
Regards,
Steve

omarco said:
I'm having a bit of an internal battle over which of these to plump for. I prefer the cut of the B6 but i'm not a fan of the bi-swing back, I was considering ordering a trim fitting D1 with some extra length (i'm pretty tall at just over 6 ft) but that ELC RW B6 is so nice and i can't find a D1 that is comparable.

What to do?

It would be fantastic to see all your pictures of these two classics to help me make up my mind.

ps.the ELC RW B6 is right at the top of my budget, no extra money for a RMNZ or The Few :)

omarco

Both the B6's look great but i think i'v got my heart set on a D1 for now. The ELC one is just too short for me but otherwise ideal. Think i'm gonna have to order a custom long version when they get some more skins in stock.

omarco

Gee's i wish the RMNZ import fee's weren't so crippling - i'v been chatting with Paddy and i'd love to put in an order for a D1 but doing the quick sums thats gonna land me a bill of approx £200 on top of the cost of the jacket - just in import duties and fees.

Does anyone know of a way around this??