• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D1 vs B6 - which shearling to get?!

omarco

I'm having a bit of an internal battle over which of these to plump for. I prefer the cut of the B6 but i'm not a fan of the bi-swing back, I was considering ordering a trim fitting D1 with some extra length (i'm pretty tall at just over 6 ft) but that ELC RW B6 is so nice and i can't find a D1 that is comparable.

What to do?

It would be fantastic to see all your pictures of these two classics to help me make up my mind.

ps.the ELC RW B6 is right at the top of my budget, no extra money for a RMNZ or The Few :)

Tim P

I relinquished my B6 recently and now only have an Irvin and a D-1. that Bi swing back is dead handy, adding room to move and the longer cut of the B6 makes for a wider range of wear options. the handwarmer pockets do work unlike the D1 which are positioned to be more for storage. I sold mine to raise quick cash. Truth be told you cant go wrong with either.

omarco

Hi Tim, thanks for that. You're right of course, I'd be happy with either right now! I'd jump at whichever came up first but there aren't any around so i think i will have to order one new.. which means making a decision.. nice decision to have to make though :D

Which is the best D1 repro available at the moment?

John Lever

I love sheepskins, but just could not like the B-6, it just looked odd on me. The very simple design of the D-1 looks better IMO. Some came without pockets or a single or double map pocket like the B-3. Bevan has one.
Aero would probably make one for you for [next]winter

MikeyB-17

Most people seem to prefer the B-6, but I've always liked the D-1 better. I like the B-6 from the front, but the back always offends my eye for some reason-I always expect it to be a straight back, not figure-hugging as it actually is. I've no doubt it's more practical, but I'm always disappointed when I see the back of one. I like the simplicity of the D-1, and I prefer to use my pockets to keep stuff in, not for handwarming (for which I wear gloves), so the D-1's zip-up pockets suit me better.

omarco

John Lever said:
I love sheepskins, but just could not like the B-6, it just looked odd on me. The very simple design of the D-1 looks better IMO. Some came without pockets or a single or double map pocket like the B-3. Bevan has one.
Aero would probably make one for you for [next]winter

I saw the pics of your B6 and thought it looked great, i'm not a fan of the back though and ultimately i think i prefer the simplicity of the D1. That RW B6 is very hard to beat though imo.

I msged Amanda at Aero earlier today and they are on a 14 week wait at the moment, ELC are also out of D1's and B6's. I guess i'm not the only one wanting one for the coming winter.

omarco

MikeyB-17 said:
Most people seem to prefer the B-6, but I've always liked the D-1 better. I like the B-6 from the front, but the back always offends my eye for some reason-I always expect it to be a straight back, not figure-hugging as it actually is. I've no doubt it's more practical, but I'm always disappointed when I see the back of one. I like the simplicity of the D-1, and I prefer to use my pockets to keep stuff in, not for handwarming (for which I wear gloves), so the D-1's zip-up pockets suit me better.

Think i agree actually.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
My votes for the D-1, I like the simple, short, boxy style. As long as the sleeve length's good you may not need any extra length in the body ... I'm 6'.

HLBback.jpg

omarco

deeb7 said:
My votes for the D-1, I like the simple, short, boxy style. As long as the sleeve length's good you may not need any extra length in the body ... I'm 6'.

HLBback.jpg

Hey deeb nice D-1 which maker is that?

stanier

I'd go for the D-1, and have an ELC D-1 which is a favourite jacket of mine. Like others I like the B-6 from the front, but not so keen from the back. Just my opinion of course though.

Again just my opinion, but I don't think the D-1 is as warm as you might think, and in British winters there's still plenty of reasons to have a B-3.... ;)

BTW Omarco, did the Star arrive?

Cheers

omarco

stanier said:
I'd go for the D-1, and have an ELC D-1 which is a favourite jacket of mine. Like others I like the B-6 from the front, but not so keen from the back. Just my opinion of course though.

Again just my opinion, but I don't think the D-1 is as warm as you might think, and in British winters there's still plenty of reasons to have a B-3.... ;)

BTW Omarco, did the Star arrive?

Cheers

The B3 is too much jacket for me at the moment, tempting as they are :)

The Star hasn't arrived yet, am really hoping it will be here before the end of the week though

Tim P

they aren't that warm frankly. warmer obviously than an A2...people cite B3's as a great winter jacket, what about an ANJ4 though for heavier jackets?
I like my D1 fine and they are uncomplicated jackets with a sensible collar size.

Clark J

I have 2 Eastman D-1s and I love em both.I wear my old Redskin all through the winter here and it does just fine.If I remember correctly Gary can go about 23 1/2(front measurement)before there is a problem.I'd see if I could get Talon zips for sure and not the repo Crowns!!

asiamiles

omarco said:
ps.the ELC RW B6 is right at the top of my budget, no extra money for a RMNZ or The Few :)
What size are you after? I have a Buzz that doesn't get much wear.

I think the B-6 is the more stylish jacket, as long as it's the version with straps not zips at the waist. The D-1 though is a very easy jacket to just throw on.

stanier

Clark J said:
I have 2 Eastman D-1s and I love em both.I wear my old Redskin all through the winter here and it does just fine.If I remember correctly Gary can go about 23 1/2(front measurement)before there is a problem.I'd see if I could get Talon zips for sure and not the repo Crowns!!

I think the ELC D-1 currently comes with Kwik zips. However mine has Crowns and I notice some folks here have an issue but mine have never been a problem and they look great!

omarco

asiamiles said:
omarco said:
What size are you after? I have a Buzz that doesn't get much wear.

I think the B-6 is the more stylish jacket, as long as it's the version with straps not zips at the waist. The D-1 though is a very easy jacket to just throw on.

I'm a Size 40 ish But I'm quite tall so slightly worried about the length of the D1 compared to the B6.

Tim P

I am 6'2" and 15.5 stone with a long torso. an Eastman large is fine on me length wise, accepting that it comes up shorter than some jackets. If you are worried about a D1 being too short, you need a B6. ;)

omarco

Tim P said:
I am 6'2" and 15.5 stone with a long torso. an Eastman large is fine on me length wise, accepting that it comes up shorter than some jackets. If you are worried about a D1 being too short, you need a B6. ;)

Yea i'm a pretty stupid size - 6' 1" and a 40" chest. No flight jacket off the peg seems to fit. i tend to wear my jeans on the hip too which doesn't make matters easier.

This is why its such a hard decision! Everyone's making perfectly valid points... why didn't they make a hybrid between the two ;)