• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso W&G M 422

Roughwear

I'm still waiting for my M422. The order was placed two months ago now. Apparently they are waiting for the correct shade of mouton to arrive. I have asked Platon for an up-date.

Jeff M

Roughwear said:
I'm still waiting for my M422. The order was placed two months ago now. Apparently they are waiting for the correct shade of mouton to arrive. I have asked Platon for an up-date.

They had to breed the sheep..wait fot the lambs to be born and grow large enough...then process them. That gotta take a couple of months at least! ;)

ButteMT61

Jeff M said:
Roughwear said:

They had to breed the sheep..wait fot the lambs to be born and grow large enough...then process them. That gotta take a couple of months at least! ;)

I thought cloning took some of the time away? Maybe they got sheep dogs by mistake? :eeek:

A

Anonymous

This is not something to laugh at.
The good old days the tanneries had the skins ready made, whatever color you liked.
Now with this crisis, they don't have nothing. It's all custom orders. They need 2-3 weeks to match the color and then 3-6 weeks for production. Plus they want big quantities as minimum order. If they fail to match the color you must wait another 2-3 weeks for them to try again. Many times you have to order without seeing samples. It's very frusutrating.

Before Bill Kelso made the navy jackets, asked his supplier "do you have enough of this mouton?"
The answer was "Oh yeah, don't worry, as much as you want". But when the time to order came it was proved that indeed he had as much as we wanted, the color was perfect, the hair was pefect but..... it was multipiece mouton so had to reject it.

airfrogusmc

Roughwear said:

You could do what I did. Score some great old vintage mouton and send it. Still it will be worth the wait.

A

Anonymous

Dear Allen,
your mouton was fine, but the collor wasn't the correct.
When buying ladies coats for old mouton there is the problem that from the pics on auctions you cant tell if the color is the correct, you can't tell if the hair length is the correct and you can't tell if the coaat is made with big pieces (enough to cut collars from) or it is made by multipiece skins.

Also, you can never have uniformity in the color and one customer will be getting one color, the other another color, someone will be asking the same color as the photos he has seen somewhere on another guys jacket and it will always be impossible to give them what they want.

Also to get the ladies' coats is difficult, some guys asking crazy prices, they don't cooperate to declare low value, you may pay a fortune in customs who may think this is an expensive coat and many other factors.

airfrogusmc

PLATON said:
Dear Allen,
your mouton was fine, but the collor wasn't the correct.
When buying ladies coats for old mouton there is the problem that from the pics on auctions you cant tell if the color is the correct, you can't tell if the hair length is the correct and you can't tell if the coaat is made with big pieces (enough to cut collars from) or it is made by multipiece skins.

Also, you can never have uniformity in the color and one customer will be getting one color, the other another color, someone will be asking the same color as the photos he has seen somewhere on another guys jacket and it will always be impossible to give them what they want.

Also to get the ladies' coats is difficult, some guys asking crazy prices, they don't cooperate to declare low value, you may pay a fortune in customs who may think this is an expensive coat and many other factors.

Actually it is pretty much a dead match to Grants almost dead stock original W&G M422. In fact the color of my goat is a bit dark compared to most originals. I don't mind the jacket being darker but the mouton is almost dead on...

You tell me about the mouton
Grants original
WG.jpg

BK with vintage mouton I supplied.
IMG_1236-1.jpg

The mouton looks damn close to me.

A

Anonymous

yeah you're right about that
I was thinking the color of another contract

airfrogusmc

PLATON said:
yeah you're right about that
I was thinking the color of another contract

Pattern is real good as compared to the original I think don't you?

Ya really nailed the fit....

A

Anonymous

and this original is darker than Grant's

$(KGrHqZ,!owE-u3McYCzBPviW4hKiQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!l0E9JvoY2DlBPviU6cbEQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJE8E-vgrh--tBPvib3DNTQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!iwE-llhveGUBPvidLKY2Q~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!g4E9s8j9cIEBPvi(jDVW!~~60_57.JPG

BK is proud of this repro. I was lucky to find an original that was in good condition and we could replicate the pattern very successfuly.

Roughwear

Very nice W&G M422A Platon. The goatskin used on these 1943 M422A was significantly darker than that used on the 1940 W&G M422 jackets.

A

Anonymous

You will love this original in almost mint condition, very dark eh?
It has also the dark knits, same as BK uses and a very dark mouton that BK has available if you want (the colos is called ebony and it's a very dark brown, almost black, but not black).

M422_WG_06.jpg

M422_WG_07.jpg

M422_WG_08.jpg

M422_WG_09.jpg

M422_WG_10.jpg

M422_WG_13.jpg

this one is very dark but I have seen lighter jackets of the same contract, but not as light as Grant's

A

Anonymous

the colors of the moutons were all over the place as everything else, leathers, knits etc

2757b65c20.jpg

airfrogusmc

Color, weight all varied with many originals from the same maker and even within the same contract. IIRC JC had an original about the same as Grants. I think he used to have a photo on his site.

Again, I'm very happy with my jacket...

Roughwear

Now that BK has the mouton I want Platon told me today my jacket will be shipped next month. I post a review here when it comes.

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
You will love this original in almost mint condition, very dark eh?
It has also the dark knits, same as BK uses and a very dark mouton that BK has available if you want (the colos is called ebony and it's a very dark brown, almost black, but not black).

M422_WG_06.jpg

Is that yours? Wanna sell it? :)

Jeff M

Roughwear said:
Now that BK has the mouton I want Platon told me today my jacket will be shipped next month. I post a review here when it comes.

John, what color mouton is going on your jacket?