• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Brettafett

As Greg said haha...
Smithy, you and I (and Greg) seem to be very similar in body type, although I'm a bit smaller at 5'10, 72kg, broad shoulders, trim waist. Lucky me :)
You all know I love my Bronco and it fits very well (although I will always want a touch more sleeve length, and this will apply to 90% of std size jackets out there).
I already plan on picking up a Perry when they release... I recon 'later in the year' could be more later, as opposed to sooner ;)
I think the choice of a Perry was a good one, not many Perry repros out there...
Personally though, I am not sure I'll like it, only because I am not the world's biggest fan of the Perry collar, with its a 'funny' stubby rounded lobes...
That said, if you scout out pics of John's GW Perry's you'll notice his vary from jacket to jacket, some have rounded lobes, others slightly more pointy - just like pics of originals I have (I have never seen an original Perry personally).
So, all depends on how AVI's turns out. Still highly recommend the seal Bronco for what its worth.
ps I think AVI's original Bronco is a 44... So, t e c h n i c a l l y... a 44 would be the most accurate size haha.... I would recommend getting the 44 and the 46 and keeping the best fitting.

Smithy

Thanks Brett and Greg. Getting both the 44 and 46 isn't a silly idea if I can't work out the numbers before ordering.

Leaning towards the Bronco as I prefer the collar shape and the pattern seems to suit us tall, lean fellas. And of course in seal ;)

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

A-1 AVI.jpg

Good to see AVI have finally tucked the country of origin into the small print on their website.

While nothing was forthcoming I did a little research myself, the leather jacket industry is quite a small place really

I’ve just acquired one of their A-1 jackets, well not an actual AVI labelled A-1 but an identical jacket made by the same factory in Sialkot in the same leather for another retailer

A-1 Ebay 002.jpg
A-1 e.jpg
A-1 b.jpg
A-1 5 Star.jpg

The version I bought (all pics between top & bottom) appears to be the earlier version but note the fine details, the nerdy buttons, the seaming in the facing, the knit, the “Capeskin” :>)

I paid £85 retail for mine not 349 Euros, it’s OK jacket, judge by the pics, at £85 it’s very good deal, at 349 Euros???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Real...var=581609587515&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The same retailer offers the Bronco A-2 and The USN G-1, both under £100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flight-G...m=282574948734&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Straightforward transaction, jacket arrived in 5 days from weekend purchase.

Now if it’s worth a UK retailer (Five Star Leather) fitting his own labels and selling these on ebay for £85 each, considering the fees ebay/paypal charge these days, one wonders just how little these must cost at trade price at source? £40?

Tut tut tut :>( 349 Euros is starting to sound a tad out of order. If the country of origin isn’t an issue, I’d be buying my jacket from Five Star Leather

Smithy

Sorry Ken, but all of this trolling in the AVI LTHR thread is starting to look like very, very sour grapes from you. I would've thought you were a bit above that and that you would have had enough faith in your own product (and it's pricing for that matter) for it to stand by itself rather than having to sling shit at the opposition.

I've just had a look at the "Bronco" you mention above, and from what I can see the pattern is different from AVI LTHR, as are the leather, lining, labelling, and even the general appearance of the jacket.

I've always held Aero up to be a fantastic company and jacket maker but this incessant sniping at your competitors is starting to leave a nasty taste in the mouth regarding the company. I don't see Gary, John, Dave or any of the other A-2 players coming in here feeling the need to try and undermine any of their competitors which makes you wonder why you feel the need to? Insecurity in your own product or pricing, or something else? Whatever it is I'd argue that it really isn't doing your company's perceived reputation any good.

Brettafett

Thanks Brett and Greg. Getting both the 44 and 46 isn't a silly idea if I can't work out the numbers before ordering. Leaning towards the Bronco as I prefer the collar shape and the pattern seems to suit us tall, lean fellas. And of course in seal ;)
Good call Smithy, looking forward to fit pics...

Pilot

We are all still waiting for the promised info “where” but from Morten.... no trolling just keeping his word. The usual compliance wordings can be downloaded from the web...
Apparently, things are not as advertised, this may ( legally ) end very “sour “ for the advertiser...plus all ethical considerations.
Of course everyone may support or not.. buy or not...

B-Man2

AVI must be doing something right....They've been sold out of their seal goat A2's in size 48 for sometime now.

Persimmon

We are all still waiting for the promised info “where” but from Morten.... no trolling just keeping his word. The usual compliance wordings can be downloaded from the web...
Apparently, things are not as advertised, this may ( legally ) end very “sour “ for the advertiser...plus all ethical considerations.
Of course everyone may support or not.. buy or not...

The text was there a short while ago but the posting has disappeared

Persimmon

Sorry Ken, but all of this trolling in the AVI LTHR thread is starting to look like very, very sour grapes from you. I would've thought you were a bit above that and that you would have had enough faith in your own product (and it's pricing for that matter) for it to stand by itself rather than having to sling shit at the opposition.

I've just had a look at the "Bronco" you mention above, and from what I can see the pattern is different from AVI LTHR, as are the leather, lining, labelling, and even the general appearance of the jacket.

I've always held Aero up to be a fantastic company and jacket maker but this incessant sniping at your competitors is starting to leave a nasty taste in the mouth regarding the company. I don't see Gary, John, Dave or any of the other A-2 players coming in here feeling the need to try and undermine any of their competitors which makes you wonder why you feel the need to? Insecurity in your own product or pricing, or something else? Whatever it is I'd argue that it really isn't doing your company's perceived reputation any good.

Perhaps you are being a touch harsh on Ken here talking about trolling. As Ken bought and received a jacket he may well be looking at using the factory in Pakistan to make some Aero branded “cheaper range” jackets to compliment the more expensive home produced jackets. Something similar to what they did before.
As Ken says at the price he could be purchasing these jackets for and with some free labels from their stock and some small element of machinists money to fit them on its a lovely source of additional income and a great way to satisfy customers who can’t afford the expensive jacket costs.

Brettafett

Free speech and all.... Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, and thats all it is and not an accurate one.
I have always respected Aero for producing great jackets and have experienced some good cs from your team over the years, but I also see fermenting grapes.
You've been around a long time and I've kept relatively quiet about all this nonsense, you and your 'tribe' have dragged on, all over a friendly review of 'a really good original maker A-2 jacket'.

Alan, Ken did not buy a cheap jacket to source a Pakistan 'partner', he clearly is trying to undermine someone else who he perceives is threatening him.
(He would need to do some serious upgrading anyway, to get it to the std of AVI's jacket.. and then it would cost as much as AVI's again).

AVI didn't get involved in the 'poking and prodding', doubt they cared, until a number of us brought your 'issues' to their attention and 'offered' that it may be a good idea to add something about where the jackets were made/ provenance, etc...

And PILOT, are you receiving a discount on your next Aero? I hope its a good one.
I wouldn't hold my breathe btw, I doubt Morten or anyone at AVI is bothered in the least about your 'where' nonsense. I don't recall them ever 'promising' anything... I don't recall them ever 'appearing' on this or any lounge, in fact, they do not have a presence here, besides what those of us have posted as positive reviews of our AVI LTHR jackets!.
They have responded beautifully with their CSR 'small print' and still you plotter on.

I couldn't agree more with Smithy and Technonout above, its a bit sad, and like watching Gollum stalking a fish in the dark. Boring.
Trust me, AVI does not care about your opinion and they are not going to lose any summer daylight running around trying to please trolls.

The A-1 jacket Ken bought is not what he would have received, had he bought from AVI, neither is the 'Bronco' he links. I think he wasted his money, sorry. Maybe you should actually order a 'proper' Bronco from AVI, Ken. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sending you one at all.

Hey, maybe someones cousin has shared a jacket with him to make some copies... What you have is a copy, of a copy... of a copy. These are not the same jackets.
AVI's Bronco for example has an M-39 repro Talon zipper, Carr snaps, authentic seamless double ply knit (for the seal version in this case), a faithfully reproduced label, lining stamps, etc... Do you not think these 'extras' would not elevate production costs?

Anyway. Go ahead, order whatever you want, from whomever you want... And post fit pics. We all love those.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

If I were in the premium vintage leather jacket business, I would be more concerned with what the Chinese 'master copiers' have been up to recently.. A few of the manufacturers have taken to actually sourcing cow & horse hides from Italy and Japan... :eek: With the huge amount of capital many of the larger companies have to invest, they should be able to get good price breaks..

My Chinese H & L Block cossack (Aeronaut) repro is pretty much identical in pattern / appearance, and made with a very nice, grainy cowhide. $225.00 USD shipped to my door. The 65/35 cotton-poly lining still breathes well, and is easier to clean if stained.

Here's the cossack: (weighs 3 1/2 lbs)

DSCF0459 (2).jpg

DSCF0460.JPG

DSCF0411.JPG

Here's another in the same $$ range:

j4.jpg

j5.jpg

and one in Horsehide For around $300.00 USD:

j7.jpg
J8.jpg
j6.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I've said it before but this was always going to happen when it came to A-2 jackets.

Companies like Aero pursued very aggressive price rises over the last decade, far out-stripping inflation, income growth, etc. These enormous price hikes (for what is essentially a leather windbreaker) has led to some flight jacket enthusiasts to consider that some of the higher end repros are overpriced for what they are and what you pay for. This has led to business savvy enterprises like SM Wholesale and AVI LTHR spotting a gap in the market for reasonably priced (compared to companies like Aero, ELC) yet relatively accurate A-2 jackets. It was only a matter of time until this was going to happen, it's a text book economic response to severe shifts in pricing.

Getting in a huff about it is not going to change it nor make companies like these go away. The market is evolving and reacting to this shift in price with new players trying to meet a demand in the marketplace.

Brettafett

Wait till Five Star Leathers or John Smith Bespoke Tailors get wind of the fact that they can buy a battered old original WW2 A-2, send it to their manufacturer in Pakistan to copy and study the pattern. Then upgrade the knit, zippers, label, studs, stamps etc... OK, that will increase the price somewhat, but now they are getting more interest. Then AVI will have some competition, and as Smithy says... a new game will have begun. Just hope they don't buy an original Aero ;) (another Acme!) Then there really will be fireworks.

B-Man2

Ive been trying to stay out of the “blast zone” on this one for a while but I’ve decided that there’s a lot of conjecture regarding these jackets that is erroneous and flat out speculation. So for whatever it’s worth here are some facts. I purchased a AVI goat Russett A2 when they first came out based on their new Bronco design. I received a jacket that in my opinion was worth the money with one exception . I wanted a seal colored jacket but AVI was out of size 48s so I opted for their russet A2. When the jacket arrived the color looked more orange that russett. Three light coats of Pecards over a 3 week period of time have darken the jacket to an acceptable russett color. My suggestion is to stick with the Seal color if you decide you want one.
That’s my only negative comment about the jacket . Sure the “details “ that we’ve come to expect from the big three makers aren’t as refined as we purists think they might be however, for a $357.00 USD A2 jacket it’s a decent jacket for the money. No the knits aren’t perfect and the pockets aren’t perfect but no one but “we few purists” will recognize that. Now just to block any suggestions that I have some type of agenda here, let me say that I own several. ( emphasis on several) A2 jackets from GW , ELC, Aero and a few tier 2 makers. So I have no favorites here . This isn’t a review so don’t take it as such. It’s just one “forum brother “ providing information to others so they can make an informed choice. Here’s some photos of the jacket after the Pecards darkening. If AVI gets in some 48s in Seal I would consider buying another. I also like the looks of their A1 but can’t comment on either one at this time because I don’t own one.
Good Luck with whatever you gents decide.

83E1AC96-C7DD-43A6-8067-C67E02689F5E.jpeg
1DA660B6-2093-419E-969A-284F3D910C4D.jpeg
F16D5175-34DE-4DD9-8144-945320FFF231.jpeg
85A7C99A-509F-4BD6-9129-A3FF9F695278.jpeg
78D782C3-CBA6-4AD6-9471-6F5F43C9A346.jpeg
9878D227-759B-40D9-AF67-0C0C0B37EEFB.jpeg
649A8FB5-9A40-4CA8-95E6-172A9545F9B2.jpeg
F7DE54F0-EA07-496A-A235-7E3319568DEC.jpeg
FB488598-89A2-4C4A-8995-C331D2F1CD6A.jpeg
83E1AC96-C7DD-43A6-8067-C67E02689F5E.jpeg

Last edited: