• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI Leather B-3 Review

flyincowboy

Here you are Got to find the inside wiew!
B3 SOVEREIGN.jpg

Enigma1938

Another thing I noticed is that most original jackets (except Mortens) from the Aero 43-13616 contract had different adjustment straps / buckles on the sides, apparently riveted on.
10481_17.jpg

Enigma1938

This kind of buckles and straps have been used on some latest models .
Ok so this means that Morten acquired a early model of the same Contract ?

There's not only a difference in Straps / Buckles, the side panels / reinforcement tapes are also different from most other B-3 contracts
10481_3.jpg
side_belt.JPG

Enigma1938

In summary the AVI B-3 is a great jacket with some minor issues.
So I'll start to sort the issues out. I already removed the acrylic/ vinylic paint that was put on all the edges of the collar and waist straps, the pocket lining is already gone too.
Next step is to replace the press studs and add the missing one.

Yeah someone would say "if you're in authenticity just buy a eastman or a GW" but this AVI just cost a fraction of those mentioned and I just have fun to do a few improvements by myself. Also there's not everything bad about the AVI. The Materials used are superb and most important for me: the cut / shape is spot on compared to originals.

Dumpster D

So I'll start to sort the issues out. I already removed the acrylic/ vinylic paint that was put on all the edges of the collar and waist straps, the pocket lining is already gone too.

Yeah someone would say "if you're in authenticity just buy a eastman or a GW" but this AVI just cost a fraction of those mentioned and I just have fun to do a few improvements by myself. Also there's not everything bad about the AVI. The Materials used are superb and most important for me: the cut / shape is spot on compared to originals.
Right on!

Please show some before/after photos of your work, Great project!!!

I never seen the 'riveted' waist straps before, nice!

B-Man2

Looking forward to seeing the end result . :)

Enigma1938

So a few changes I made with pics.

- added the missing collar snap
- replaced the male snaps on the chest including the leather disc
- added a Army Air Forces Stamp on the collar strap
- replaced the zipper stops to the correct C- Shaped ones
- removed the vinyl coating on the straps edges all around
- removed the pocket lining
20240127_091228.jpg
20240127_091352.jpg
20240127_091441.jpg
20240127_091456.jpg
20240127_091521.jpg
20240127_091553.jpg
20240127_091701.jpg

I'm pleased with the results

VeraVoulik

So a few changes I made with pics.

- added the missing collar snap
- replaced the male snaps on the chest including the leather disc
- added a Army Air Forces Stamp on the collar strap
- replaced the zipper stops to the correct C- Shaped ones
- removed the vinyl coating on the straps edges all around
- removed the pocket lining
View attachment 136073View attachment 136075View attachment 136077View attachment 136079View attachment 136081View attachment 136083View attachment 136085
I'm pleased with the results
You did well! Very nice look now!

jack31916

Nice upgrade Enigma !

Can you tell me what was wrong with the male snaps on the chest? And how "bad" is the somewhat oversized mappocket?

Thanks !

Enigma1938

Nice upgrade Enigma !

Can you tell me what was wrong with the male snaps on the chest? And how "bad" is the somewhat oversized mappocket?

Thanks !
The leather discs where the snaps are attached were covered in vinyl also and looked pretty plastic like so I swapped them completely.
The pocket may be a little oversized or may not, I can't tell because I've seen some smaller and some bigger ones on original B-3's depending on the manufacturer, contract and production date.
I don't care about the size on AVI's recreation.

Dumpster D

Just curious, Where did you source the collar snap?! Love the upgrades!!! Fantastic!

We were just discussing where to source some of those Buckles, and someone mentioned FS has 'clones' of the originals. Might be worth asking them for some, do you suppose?

Also, please post some fit pics for us if possible! Thank you!