• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An impromptu poll… Which are better ? ATF Service boots or Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots ?

Micawber

I've never been a herd animal so British made William Lennon boots for me. Last ones from them were two pairs of hobnail boots, made to order one with nails and one without. Both have been resoled by Lennon, bloody marvellous things...

:D

Seen here worn with a pair of buskins [or gaiters for all you civilised folk]

IMG_20210512_153834_584~2_resize_22.jpg
IMG_20210512_154804_147~2_resize_54.jpg

Last edited:

Chandler

I've never been a herd animal...
The Red Wing boots seem to be more popular to talk about online -- I've never actually seen them in the wild, except on my own feet.

My attraction to the Iron Rangers was because they had an old-fashioned, near-to military look to them, but weren't straight-up surplus.

I was surprised Red Wing started marketing them because they *were* so old-fashioned -- didn't think they'd be sellers... and I have to wonder if they really are. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Oh, and my wife is happy for our floors that they don't have hobnails. ;)

Grant

Hello,

Just saw the ATF service boots and really like the (vintage) finish/look and color. But that finish will eventually worn off, like Chandler said, it's kind of painted.
My vote goes to Red Wings. My rangers have been resole and are still going strong developing a patina. I am not sure ATF will develop a patina, but I like them.
I wear my boots as riding boots, hence the worn look.

Hey Dany,
What do you use to get that great shine to your Iron Rangers? They look awesome!

Grant

I have both RW Iron Rangers and ATF service shoes. If I'm on my feet most of the day or walking a ton on city streets, they're both equally comfortable and wear well. The service shoes have been scuffed up quite a bit losing that plastic look to the finish. If I had to choose one over the other though, I'd go with the Red Wings.

Micawber

The Red Wing boots seem to be more popular to talk about online -- I've never actually seen them in the wild, except on my own feet.

My attraction to the Iron Rangers was because they had an old-fashioned, near-to military look to them, but weren't straight-up surplus.

I was surprised Red Wing started marketing them because they *were* so old-fashioned -- didn't think they'd be sellers... and I have to wonder if they really are. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Oh, and my wife is happy for our floors that they don't have hobnails. ;)

Popularity has never been my driver ;)

Why on earth would I wear hobnail boots indoors? o_O

Chandler

Popularity has never been my driver ;)
Nor mine, my point being I was attracted to the Red Wings on my own -- not thru hype.

I also research the hell out of a purchase item such as boots, so I knew they were a good buy before I pulled the trigger -- hype be damned.
Why on earth would I wear hobnail boots indoors? o_O
Guess you're not as absent minded as me. :D

Thomas Koehle

Serious?

RW goes before ATF ...

My RedWings are like tanks - i got 6 different sets and all are sturdy, durable and i like their style

Dany McDonald

That is nice man!

Since the wax is soluble, rain & +++ you will redo the process and see a nice patina over the years. Once every two years I remove the old wax and restart, it's fun actually.

I also use natural polish instead of black polish on my black Iron rangers and the result is also stunning, well to my eye.

Dany

kirova

don't have the Iron Ranger, but I have a pair of Red Wing Beckman and I love them :)

not sure about ATF, but at least according to Red Wing's marketing material, they do offer repaid/re-sole service to your boots should you ever need them.

ausreenactor

D
you work for Optus? I thought you are an ADF guy? :D
Did the Pay TV between first and second full time stints. On the third full time stint presently. I get in and out depending on the operational tempo and whether more tax payer funded adventure is on the cards. ;)

Only 21 years up so far... eight to go....Still have seven years of defence housing benefit after I separate as well..... $350 a month....they kick in as long as I serve full time or 20 reserve days a year. Can do reserve up to 65...

kirova

D
Did the Pay TV between first and second full time stints. On the third full time stint presently. I get in and out depending on the operational tempo and whether more tax payer funded adventure is on the cards. ;)

Only 21 years up so far... eight to go....Still have seven years of defence housing benefit after I separate as well..... $350 a month....they kick in as long as I serve full time or 20 reserve days a year. Can do reserve up to 65...

lol ok, didn't realise you are allowed to moonlight in the ADF, anyway, well I guess I work for the competition (only in the private sector, of course), a certain telco which has three letters for it's name.............