• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An impromptu poll… Which are better ? ATF Service boots or Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots ?

B-Man2

Hey guys
Just getting some of your thoughts on which boot you guys think is the better boot for the money . The Red Wing Iron Ranger boots or the ATF Service boots and why ? The boots cost almost the same, as the Iron Ranger Boots come in at about $30.00 more. Any info provided would be helpful.
Thanks

Chandler

It's probably a coil flip between the two, but I'd give points to RW for their hide finishes and insole.

The ATFs are certainly true-to-original service, but that leaves concessions to follow what was spec'ed for the military -- old-fashioned insole and painted (basically) leather.

I *would* like to see the two roughout boots from each side-by-side. With the ATFs being made in the US now, they've stepped up their game.

I'd also like to see RW make a tall version of the Iron Ranger -- comparable to jump boots. I know they did a limited version for Indian Motorcycles, but they weren't exactly like the IRs -- IIRC.

Chandler

RW has the edge. I have owned the ATF's, sold them, kept the RW's RW better leather
How long ago did you buy your ATFs? They switched suppliers a couple years ago and are having them made custom for them in the US now.

Sorry I can't recall the manufacturer, but they talk about it on the web site.

D97x7

Don't know about the ATF boots but my amber harness IRs were certainly built to last, had them over 10 years, spent 18 months on a farmhouse restoration job, couple of years abandoned in a shed covered in cement, then thrown in the washing machine, reoiled and are still going strong as the most comfortable boots I own, with an insole inserted. On the down side they're the only boots that have ever actually made my feet bleed while breaking them in.

B-Man2

How long ago did you buy your ATFs? They switched suppliers a couple years ago and are having them made custom for them in the US now.

Sorry I can't recall the manufacturer, but they talk about it on the web site.
I think the manufacturer may be the Carolina Boot Company

B-Man2

Don't know about the ATF boots but my amber harness IRs were certainly built to last, had them over 10 years, spent 18 months on a farmhouse restoration job, couple of years abandoned in a shed covered in cement, then thrown in the washing machine, reoiled and are still going strong as the most comfortable boots I own, with an insole inserted. On the down side they're the only boots that have ever actually made my feet bleed while breaking them in.
Wow!.... Bleeding feet........Now theres a testimonial that makes you want to hobble right out and get a pair ;)

Chandler

Wow!.... Bleeding feet........Now theres a testimonial that makes you want to hobble right out and get a pair ;)
Yeah -- yike! As a counter-opinion, I had no problems. In fact, my break-in was smooth.

If you look at the reviews at the RW site, the break-in experience is all over the board.

FWIW -- my Corcoran jump boots are manufactured like the FS service boots and those clods still aren't broken in!

Chandler

I think the manufacturer may be the Carolina Boot Company
HH Brown -- which is the parent company of Carolina, among other brands including Corcoran.

Funny that, because if you follow Rollin's emails you've heard that the ATF brand jumpers are manufactured differently than the Corcorans.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

Just saw the ATF service boots and really like the (vintage) finish/look and color. But that finish will eventually worn off, like Chandler said, it's kind of painted.
My vote goes to Red Wings. My rangers have been resole and are still going strong developing a patina. I am not sure ATF will develop a patina, but I like them.
I wear my boots as riding boots, hence the worn look.

RW_Iron-rangers_WK.jpg

D

B-Man2

What I find a little interesting is that ATF charges $299.99 for their Service shoes and jump boots , and Carolina Boot Company who I believe owns the right to the Corcoran Name and produces Brown historically accurate jump boots under the Corcoran name and label charges about $157.00 to $179.00 depending on where you find them on the web.

Chandler

What I find a little interesting is that ATF charges $299.99 for their Service shoes and jump boots , and Carolina Boot Company who I believe owns the right to the Corcoran Name and produces Brown historically accurate jump boots under the Corcoran name and label charges about $157.00 to $179.00 depending on where you find them on the web.
I mentioned above that the ATF jumpers are built a little differently than the actual Corcorans. Rollin has mentioned that the midsoles (the raw looking leather between the heal and the outsole) are very fragile on the Corcorans -- they actually crack after long wear.

Also, the ATFs have true Goodyear rubber on the soles -- ATF made a deal with Goodyear to get the authentic rights -- for whatever difference that might make.

I also think the leather and finish on the ATF boots are a little different than the Corcorans -- more pliable out of the box.

London Cabbie

Hey guys
Just getting some of your thoughts on which boot you guys think is the better boot for the money . The Red Wing Iron Ranger boots or the ATF Service boots and why ? The boots cost almost the same, as the Iron Ranger Boots come in at about $30.00 more. Any info provided would be helpful.
Thanks
Burt I have the roughout Blacksmith, they are so comfortable they can be worn without socks. Can be re-soled with variety of soles cork or vibrant etc…the bulbous toe gets less prominent with wear. Very happy.
62E6AD82-6D67-423B-9B96-D7934EF542C0.jpeg