• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 Leather Jackets

dmar836

I have had my issues with the hides ELC uses on two of the A-2s I've owned. Perhaps the cape they use is perfect but the HH I have experienced could stand some improvement.
JMO,

Dave

Dr H

Dave, I've had three ELC capeskin A-1s - they've all been top notch in terms of the cape. Regular, well coloured, robust yet quick to take on character.
Can't speak for the ELC HH as I've never had one of their A-2s (never really appealed in the same way).

Rutger

Back art on an A2 is fine, it sort of goes with the jacket. Although I will never have it done, I can understand there are people who would and will.
40's style subdued leather patch on the chest actually makes an A2 look better.

The A1 is too subtle for back art, on the chest would do only just, but the very apparent late twenties/early thirties style of the A1 requires a well-thought-out choice of patch/art, there is a lot that goes well with an A2 but shouldn't be applied to an A1.
The A1 has a lighter appearance, which is very much due to the capeskin being so much supple, with wrinkling much more delicate than horse hide.
Just my opinion anyway, and even that's subject to change.

As for the horse hide of ELC: I've got one ELC A2 that is so terrible that it feels like rubber. I can't even put it up for sale as I would either have to lie about it or describe it in such a way that it would never sell.
Two other ELC A2's where fine, the one I still have is a very regular wearer and I'm fully satisfied with the leather (but admittedly, Good Wear leather almost always looks better).

I only ever had one A1, it's from ELC, I'm sure pleased with the leather it's made of.
Let's drive platon crazy and demand he starts making capeskin A1's as well. Everybody makes A2's nowadays, where can you get a fine A1 except at ELC?

2jakes

Compared to others , I kind of new to VLF , which is very enjoyable & educational.
I realize that there will always be two schools of thought…those that prefer a dead
spot-on perfect replica & those who would not object to a change. Case in point :
Platon & New M-422 jacket on another thread.
I apologize if have strayed….I do have a better picture of the A-1 jacket.
Thank You All !

……I guess I better get off the podium now !

Rutger

John Lever said:
JC makes a very nice jacket.

Does he? I somehow keep on thinking that he did make them, but not anymore due to not being able to find the right capeskin.

Dr H

He does, but you have to be persistent. JC doesn't have a good, reliable supplier of capeskin at the moment and so the hide is only available in comparatively small quantities, making it difficult to offer it from the drop down menu and also limits the size of the jackets considerably - but then this is also the case with ELC.
The other alternative is soft horsehide - not ideal, but as CBI's Vermont Espresso hide shows, it can drape pretty well.
For my money, the GW A-1 is a beauty - very different character from the ELC jacket.

CBI

I love both GW in Cape and HH, to be honest, I prefer the Vermont Espresso version even though its not as historically accurate. I think John is about out of that hide as well with I believe no plans to re-order.

If someone wants an A-1 now, the ELC is the way to go or spend some time looking on eBay (for many months) as A-1's come up from time to time.

To an earlier post, I have seen photographic examples of artwork on A-1's and I think it can look very cool provided its done right.

Dr H

Definitely going to come to you with this cape GW John - do you have any designs in mind that would be period correct, but discreet?!

buzzthetower

Administrator
Gents,

The correct hides may be available quite soon. I'm working with a tannery conglomerate that has told me that "They are indeed fabulous top grade stuff with great touch and wonderful vintage look.", of which I should have samples in about two weeks from overseas. If all goes well, the order will be placed immediately. I've also mailed out samples of the hides I had gotten from an unknown tannery four years ago, so they know what was used in the past.

Here is a photo of a recent creation using the hides I purchased from Italy in 2010 (a bit thinner than what I prefer), but you can see the construction...

GWA-1001.jpg

GWA-1006.jpg

GWA-10022.jpg

GWA-1060.jpg

GWA-1056.jpg

GWA-12002.jpg

(all photos by Bseal on the forum)

This is by no means intended to take away from what Eastman is producing. They definitely had a solid original in hand to copy. Our jacket was made more from customer desire - too many people were demanding it.

Hope that helps!
John

ButteMT61

Just an anticipatory bump! :)
Looks like it's getting closer, and interest in the A-1 appears on the rise. I dig it.

ButteMT61

Dr H said:
I've put some money down on one...
Awaiting the hide samples...

Congrats! I got the info last night. The price seems fair and I'd love to see the samples as well. Ever since I saw the A-1 on JC's site, I've pondered it. And since my size is in the catalog, I my have to try one. I'm pretty dopey at the moment with three jackets I want. Have to prioritize as my lovely wife only has so much patience, and I so much money :lol:

airfrogusmc

Heres some shots of my older GW A-1 after some wear.

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

The cape on this jacket is so soft and pliable its like second skin.

ButteMT61

You always have to pull out that damn set of pictures!!! It seals my fate. Curse you :lol:
Really, that's awesome. I so want one.

airfrogusmc

ButteMT61 said:
You always have to pull out that damn set of pictures!!! It seals my fate. Curse you :lol:
Really, that's awesome. I so want one.

I'm actually thinking about selling it. Anyone interested PM me and I will get measurements.