• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on applying a MASH Heat & Wet AAF Shoulder Decal?

Jennison

I've done a search here for applying the MASH AAF decal on an A-2, but I can't find a specific thread or post by someone who's done it and has offered tips in addition to the MASH website instructions. For instance, what does "12-15kg pressure by small iron" translate into? Lightly pressing down on the iron? Sitting on it? And what if all I've got is my wife's regular size, conventional iron? Does that affect the application of pressure? Is the recommended "Wool" setting apply to any iron or just a small one? I'm not particularly good with kind of stuff and I'd like to know I'll have a decent shot at not burning the leather or permanently ironing the shape of the rubber block into it (and/or screwing up the decal). I imagine I'll have only one bite of the apple with this.

Perhaps those who've done it will say I'm overthinking things, but with my skill set, please be assured that I'm not.

Dumpster D

If' you're not feeling confident about it, then it can wait.

I would try practicing on some test material first. Hopefully you bought more than one decal transfer?

15KG is about 30 pounds, that's sounds like a fair amount of pressure.

indiana-jones-harisson-ford.gif

Pa12

I've done a search here for applying the MASH AAF decal on an A-2, but I can't find a specific thread or post by someone who's done it and has offered tips in addition to the MASH website instructions. For instance, what does "12-15kg pressure by small iron" translate into? Lightly pressing down on the iron? Sitting on it? And what if all I've got is my wife's regular size, conventional iron? Does that affect the application of pressure? Is the recommended "Wool" setting apply to any iron or just a small one? I'm not particularly good with kind of stuff and I'd like to know I'll have a decent shot at not burning the leather or permanently ironing the shape of the rubber block into it (and/or screwing up the decal). I imagine I'll have only one bite of the apple with this.

Perhaps those who've done it will say I'm overthinking things, but with my skill set, please be assured that I'm not.
It’s not difficult following their instructions. Much easier if you use the rubber block. Just make sure you put something under it so the only thing the iron will touch is the raised portion. If you touch any of the surrounding leather the iron will touch it and seer it.

Silver Surfer

Normal iron, using the the pointed end. Move the iron in a slow circular motion. Press firmly, but not hard. Keep the iron away from the hide. Easypeasy

denny@aero

Normal iron, using the the pointed end. Move the iron in a slow circular motion. Press firmly, but not hard. Keep the iron away from the hide. Easypeasy
i would strongly advise not to move the iron. Place it down straight hold in place and remove. You really don't want to be moving it around

Silver Surfer

ive applied a coupla these mash iron ons, on my jackets, and one for grant. I did do as written above, and have done so successfully, without issue. I put a piece of pillow case cloth over the decal and the iron applied to the cloth over the decal. the slight circular movement ensures a consistent heat distribution.

Silver Surfer

that works also. I prefer a larger piece of cloth...just in case I get distracted and burn a hole in the hide, hahahahaha. I used to shave with a straight razor. that is, until one morning with a god awful hangover, and one of my cats at the time knocked over a plant that crashed hard on the floor. I turned abruptly, and.....you get the idea. distracted.

Jennison

Sounds like a good idea. That said, couldn't you have come up with a less painful example? I'm still cringing....

Silver Surfer

that morning was the end of straight razors for me. but, damn, I miss that oh so close shave.....not that I shave every day anymore.