• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Knights That Say NEAT! - Neatsfoot Oil

Skyhawk

What's a Neat? It turns out that it's just cattle and they use their feet and other parts to make up this oil. We have heard the rumors. I have heard bad enough stuff that I simply have always steered clear of it. (No pun intended)

I did a quick google search and the same issues I have heard popped up. I quote:

"In the long run, neatsfoot oil is prone to oxidising, causing leather to crack and deteriorate. As such, it's wise to avoid using it on items that you've invested heavily in and plan on keeping for many years, like leather jackets and wallets."

"Neatsfoot oil is known to degrade the stitching over time"

These points have always been what I have been warned about and is why I will never use Neetsfoot Oil. No matter what the results are short term, it can have harmful effects years down the road it seems.

"WE ARE NO LONGER THE KNIGHTS THAT SAY NEAT"

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

Actually there is a difference between pure neatsfoot oll and blended oil. Pure neatsfoot oil does not rot stitching but the mineral oil added to blended neatsfoot oil in order to thin it and make it easier to use does over a long time. I use different conditioners dependent on the kind of hide a thing is made of and I do use pure - not blended neatsfoot oil on CXL leather, because that's what Horween finish it with. Horween also recommend the sparing use of pure neatsfoot oil to condition that particular leather.

Skyhawk

Not sure of all the blending and effects, but it seems to me that there are so many other good products available, why use it? Why take any risk at all?
I am not invested in this subject, I am not selling conditioner or pointing out what I think is the best. It's an interesting subject to me though and it's a little bit of a cringe for me when people start talking about using it.

The negative effects seem to take a long time to manifest. It sounds like it could very well be a situation where the jacket looks great, but years later it starts cracking and losing stitches.