• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The highest scoring allied aces piloting US built aircraft in ww2 all flew the

dinomartino1

1*3Braxv4yDFFPCv626upmOw.jpeg

Soviet ace Gregory Rechkalov

dinomartino1

03968.jpg

Soviet pilot George Basenko on the wing of his aircraft Bell P-39 Ayracobra.. The First Ukrainian Front. 1944
Georgiy Illarionovich Basenko shot down 10 enemy planes and 1 shared

dinomartino1

00096.jpg

Fedor Shikunov, ace pilot, squadron commander of the 69th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment stands on the wing of his plane P-39 Airacobra. The title of Hero of Russia posthumously, in 1996 (Presidential Decree №619 from 02.05.1996), after numerous appeals of fellow soldiers.

dinomartino1

b9ppg2.jpg

His P-39 emblazoned with victory stars stands in the background as Soviet fighter ace Alexander Pokryshkin talks with ground personnel after returning from a mission against the Germans on the Eastern Front during World War II.

dinomartino1

gettyimages-104415632-2048x2048.jpg

Russian Planes On The Eastern Front 1944
RUSSIA - JANUARY 01: Russian aviators around an American AIRACOBRA P39 plane, used in the Soviet Air Force on the Soviet-German front in 1944. Munitions are loaded on board for upcoming combat.

P-39_Sirotin_17IAP_1945.jpg

Soviet Ace Sirotin in the cockpit of P-39 from 17 IAP 1945

Flightengineer

My respect to all these young men...As I read ( also in Chuck Yeager’s) Bio, the biggest fear was not the Luftwaffe...but the P-39.
A sturdy but very difficult piece of gear to fly and maintain.
Respect!

Yes, Brice, my cousin grandfather of whom I already mentioned here, flew exactly the Airocobra and told enough about the advantages and disadvantages of this aircraft. He was also shot down on it and managed to escape with a parachute (not everyone succeeded, P-39 had a problem with this).
However, the most productive Soviet Ace Ivan Kozhedub flew Lavochlin La-5 and La-7 fighters.

dinomartino1

p39-55-1943.jpg

102nd guards fighter "Vyborg" air-defense regiment
p39-44343x.jpg

57th Guards Red Banner Fighter Aviation Regiment
at captured German airfield.