• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suede Care and Waterproofing

Cimmerian

There is a lot of information on this forum regarding leather treatment but not much regarding suede finish.

I have a suede trucker and as suede marks quite easily and is not particularly waterproof, what is the consensus on treating suede jackets?

Cimmerian

In the past I’ve used scotch guard by 3M.
BUT … it will darken the suede just slightly.
I didn’t recommend it at first because it’s a personal decision and others may not agree with it . However , it will give the suede some water repellency .
Thanks Burt, I appreciate the advice. Not overly bothered by a slight darkening and would rather have the protection :)

B-Man2

Thanks Burt, I appreciate the advice. Not overly bothered by a slight darkening and would rather have the protection :)
Then if that’s the case let me suggest that you give it a light coat … let it dry … and then give it a second coat for great water repellency and protection .

Cimmerian

Then if that’s the case let me suggest that you give it a light coat … let it dry … and then give it a second coat for great water repellency and protection .
How long does it take to dry fully before applying another coat Burt?

B-Man2

How long does it take to dry fully before applying another coat Burt?
Set it in outside and give it about 30-45 minutes and then spray it again . BUT … remember the heavier the application the more chance of it darkening the color just a bit .

B-Man2

IMG_3747.jpeg

B-Man2

Good idea :)
Ok good luck with it .. let me know how it goes .
Here’s an idea … since no one stood up to help you with this issue … it’s probably because no one really knew how to handle the problem .
So think about this :
Take some BEFORE photos of the entire jacket.
Then once you’ve finished the process take some AFTER PHOTOS of the jacket .
Then write up your review and results here on the forum . It would be a great educational post that many of us could learn from .
Good idea ???

tempusfugit

Water repellant spray and suede brush or suede eraser or whatever those white bars are called are all I've ever used on suede. For normal day to day wear and tear they are enough, but if you for example spill a sugary drink on your jacket or lean on a table that had soy sauce or whatever on it, you will not be getting the stains out as easily as from smooth leather.

ButteMT61

I'll be honest with you - growing up in the 70's, I've had a lot of suede in my life.
Basically, NOTHING works. You just have to be careful with it. I've tried and used every product under the sun, and while it may work for a SHORT period of time, nothing will keep it looking new.
And when you do get something on it, do NOT rub the hell out of it as it will make it much worse.
You just have to kinda live with what you get. It looks great new, but know that it will get grubby no matter what you do.

B-Man2

I'll be honest with you - growing up in the 70's, I've had a lot of suede in my life.
Basically, NOTHING works. You just have to be careful with it. I've tried and used every product under the sun, and while it may work for a SHORT period of time, nothing will keep it looking new.
And when you do get something on it, do NOT rub the hell out of it as it will make it much worse.
You just have to kinda live with what you get. It looks great new, but know that it will get grubby no matter what you do.
Yep … agree with that .