• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something different: Flak Vests

Enigma1938

I was going through some stuff I had packed away for a long time now and re-discovered a few cool things I want to share.
As mentioned earlier here somewhere I am not only a jacket nerd but also collect all kinds military stuff; US WW2, US Vietnam, German WW2.
So here I have two original flak vests from the Vietnam era.

The first one is a M1952A type size Medium, complete with all armor "plates" but is missing its epaulettes. It was not uncommon through the war that these were removed. The elastic cord on the sides should be replaced, I think I have some laying around somewhere.
This early korean / Vietnam types are hard to find here in Europe especially in bigger sizes.
As the label says this one here was produced in 1954. This things are relatively heavy, it's weight is 3350 g.

The second one is a early M69 type size medium, also total complete and in pretty nice condition. The cord here is still strong.
This beast is eaven heavier than the M1952, it weights 4400 g. Just imagine wearing this vest over your jungle jacket with all kinds of equipment attached to you on a extremely humid and hot patrol through the Vietnam countryside.... those guys must have had a hard time. The vests are not only heavy, but are bulky and stiff also. The M69 one has a armored collar also that's really annoying when worn.

20240708_105115.jpg
20240708_105324.jpg
20240708_105204.jpg
20240708_105152.jpg
20240708_105253.jpg
20240708_105235.jpg

B-Man2

The soldier that previously owned that U.S. Army jacket had a Combat Infantryman’s Badge, a Purple Heart for being wounded in combat and a Silver Star, the third highest decoration for valor, as well as a European / African campaign medal typical of soldiers who fought in Europe in WWII. He also had Master Paratrooper Wings. That guy was a bad ass.

Last edited: