• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing wrinkles from leather

Enigma1938

Hi folks
Can someone please give me advice in removing wrinkles, dents and creases from leather, especially goatskin?
I have found a nice Brill G1 that was obvious stored in crumpled up condition for quite a while. I've read that you can iron leather with low temperature and of course great attention, can someone confirm that?
All help will much appreciated.
Thank you

Harris_HTM

By coincidence there were two separate similar posts today at TFL.
I would personally never ever iron any of my leather jackets!

Enigma1938

Ok, absolutely NOTHING I tried worked ! Steaming, wearing, pulling the wrinkles out.... I even tried a careful iron job right now, nothing. The wrinkles seem to be hammered in stone. I can't believe there is now way to get rid of them.
I don't want to put the jacket back in mint condition nor do I want it smooth like a baby butt, I just want to make it lesser crumbled. In this state it's almost unwearable or better said I would look ridiculous in it.
I'm starting to get frustrated.
Any ideas?

Enigma1938

20220303_233227.jpg
20220303_233239.jpg
20220303_233320.jpg
20220303_233507.jpg
20220303_233527.jpg

busdrivermike

That’s a lot of wrinkles
It might just take time and gravity and a little leather treatment
Slowly Massage in some treatment like pecards or your favorite
It helps if the leather is warm, I do this in the sun as it
Gets the leather warm and pliable and massaging the leather
May help as your working oil into the wrinkles
As it’s an old stored jacket it’s probably ever been treated
And it probably could use a treatment
Then hang it on a padded hanger and just let gravity work
But I suspect it’s gonna take time more then anything

MikeyB-17

That’s been well scrunched up and no mistake! I know vintage stores and the like buy stuff in big bales, so it’s probably been in one of those at some point. You could try laying it flat with some heavy stuff on it, but I still think continued wear is the best bet. Probably won’t get rid of the creases completely, but they will ease and just become part of the jacket’s character. As Mike says, bit of leather treatment won’t hurt.

ButteMT61

Dunno - I think I'd take the chance and soak it lightly and put into the dryer on gentle and do it in small increments. As it is, you really can't wear it and feel good so why not?
I've soaked plenty of leather jackets and never ruined one, so that would be what
"I" would do...good luck.

flyincowboy

Use the water treatment :wear your jacket full wet ; Deep it in a water bucket and allow the jacket to get fully wet... it's like washing Hang the jacket on a hanger till he get rid of the water. Then wear your jacket... Leather will expand a bit some wrinkles and creases will disapear let the jacket dry slowly ....it might drape your body and expand a bit. allow it to dry slowly. We use this method at the shop for moulding leather and give the right shape ( but never tried with a jacket . dont forget to use a good leather balm to" feed" the leather .....