• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acres of Pant

ZuZu

Totally disagree on the high-waisted, baggy legs trousers, but that shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone who even remotely knows me :p. I swear by them, and would never go back to wearing modern regular waist/straight leg trousers, they're simply way less comfortable than the 30s/40s cut, for me. And I'm with Greg on what he said above, the guys on all the pics you shared look sharp (except maybe for the left one on the first picture, indeed).

That being said, there's no definite body for WW2 neither. Let me introduce you to "Big" Jim Streig, 5.5 victories with VF-17 during WW2:

View attachment 162801
View attachment 162803
No definite body? 90% of the guys in WW2 AAF pictures have proportionally a much smaller upper body- it's a fact. My Dad was the same height as me yet he wore a 40L all his life- I'm a 44. "Big Jim" just helps prove my point by being the exception.
This movie was more accurate in terms of fit. Pretty damn cool if you ask me:

My-Mother-and-Other-Strangers-717816.jpg
These guys may look cool but would look pretty silly walking around like that now.
Totally agree with @Thomas Koehle though, this whole post seems more like a rant about personal preferences than anything else.

A rant? Maybe although I think an honest assessment is more accurate. Big balloon pants with baggy butts may be cool on some guys but 99% don't wear that stuff today for a reason. And my point really was that the WW2 American male body tended to emphasize a weird large-hipped big-asses feminine look. It's there in many photos- I'm just pointing it out!

CBI

the troubles with OCD jacket folks. A-2's look really odd with sweatpants, bulky running shoes, skeleton skinny jeans, etc. BUT wearing more period correct attire can look totally costume-ish. For the most part, the costume folks say, "I wear what I want and I don't care what people think" which is healthy, good for them! But that fact of the matter is, one can look pretty ridiculous in all out vintage. Somewhere in the middle makes sense to me.

Last edited:

mulceber

This is one of those topics where I don’t even have a strong opinion, I’m just interested to see people’s points of view.